How Will Nick Hit in 2009?

KakesForROY

Better numbers where? How? He had his best numbers for a lead-off guy after he hit 50 home runs. This is typical OldFan-being-zany-so-people-will-pay-attention-to-me.

Better numbers as in better than what he posted. How difficult is that to understand? He could have been even better had he not been swinging for the fences. It got much worse towards the end of his career. He had trouble even making contact he was over-swinging so much.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Better numbers as in better than what he posted. How difficult is that to understand? He could have been even better had he not been swinging for the fences. It got much worse towards the end of his career. He had trouble even making contact he was over-swinging so much.

If he tried swinging for the fences after 1996, then why didn't his numbers suffer for it? Why didn't his batting average go down (it went up)? Why didn't his OBP go down (it went up)? Why didn't his K's spike (they stayed about the same).

For someone who prides himself on being able to notice changes in players and whether they will be good or bad at the outset of their career by watching them on TV, you should know that regardless of whether he was swinging for the fences or not -- it didn't affect his numbers. You say he could have been even better... well he was better. Maybe you were asking for too much.

If he tried swinging for the fences after 1996, then why didn't his numbers suffer for it? Why didn't his batting average go down (it went up)? Why didn't his OBP go down (it went up)? Why didn't his K's spike (they stayed about the same).

For someone who prides himself on being able to notice changes in players and whether they will be good or bad at the outset of their career by watching them on TV, you should know that regardless of whether he was swinging for the fences or not -- it didn't affect his numbers. You say he could have been even better... well he was better. Maybe you were asking for too much.

Again, you would have to recall watching him during this period. Once more, you like other youngsters here seem unduly stuck on numbers. I will spell this out again, he c-o-u-l-d h-a-v-e p-o-s-t-e-d H-O-F n-u-m-b-e-r-s h-a-d h-e c-u-t d-o-w-n o-n -s-w-i-n-g-i-n-g f-o-r t-h-e f-e-n-c-e-s.

He also became a shell of his former self late in his career as his overswinging totally became an obsession with him. He even had to be moved down in the lineup. One of my worst memories is he striking out while trying to homer when Cal was on deck for the last bat of his career. I will never forgive Anderson for his stupid selfishness.

Again, you would have to recall watching him during this period. Once more, you like other youngsters here seem unduly stuck on numbers. I will spell this out again, he c-o-u-l-d h-a-v-e p-o-s-t-e-d H-O-F n-u-m-b-e-r-s h-a-d h-e c-u-t d-o-w-n o-n -s-w-i-n-g-i-n-g f-o-r t-h-e f-e-n-c-e-s.

He also became a shell of his former self late in his career as his overswinging totally became an obsession with him. He even had to be moved down in the lineup. One of my worst memories is he striking out while trying to homer when Cal was on deck for the last bat of his career. I will never forgive Anderson for his stupid selfishness.

Hmmm... so if he was going to cut down on HR's, how does he get to the HoF then? By hitting 100 doubles a year? By having an OBP of .800? By striking out twice a season?

In 1996 he was 32 and up until then, a decent but not great lead-off hitter. From 1996-2000, he was a great lead-off hitter. It would have been pretty hard for him to have gone from solid player at 32 to Hall of Fame caliber player in just 5 years.

And I watched him throughout his entire career, pal. I was at Cal's last game and saw him strike out. And in typical Old#5Fan fashion, one AB = a trend.

I just want to know how someone can go from Mike Devereaux to Hall of Famer in 5 seasons.

I think Anderson could have played another three or four seasons had he not become so enamored with the long ball that he lost his focus and ability as a pure hitter.

Instead of scoffing and belittling, what is your explanation as to why his career so abruptly took a turn south? He went from one of the premier leadoff hitters in the game to a guy who seemed a safe bet to whiff more times than not when he came up. Most good players when their skills start to decline take other measures, like shortening their swing, changing their stance, etc. Not Brady, he continued to swing for the fences like there was no tomorrow.

I think Anderson could have played another three or four seasons had he not become so enamored with the long ball that he lost his focus and ability as a pure hitter.

Brady could have played until he was 42? OK...........................................................

Instead of scoffing and belittling, what is your explanation as to why his career so abruptly took a turn south?

You are right about one thing. His career turned south fast. In 2001. He was 37. Thats when it usually happens for most ball players and Brady was no exception. From 1996-2000 he was probably one of the best, if not, the best leadoff hitter in baseball.

Brady could have played until he was 42? OK...........................................................

You are right about one thing. His career turned south fast. In 2001. He was 37. Thats when it usually happens for most ball players and Brady was no exception. From 1996-2000 he was probably one of the best, if not, the best leadoff hitter in baseball.

Ricky Henderson played well into his forties and was still productive. Anderson was by all appearances in as good shape or better physically (he was a workout nut) so yes, I thought he should have been able to play into his forties and apparently, so did the Orioles who gave him a long term contract.

Ricky Henderson played well into his forties and was still productive. Anderson was by all appearances in as good shape or better physically (he was a workout nut) so yes, I thought he should have been able to play into his forties and apparently, so did the Orioles who gave him a long term contract. Cal also played past forty and there was no reason for Brady not to other than his hard headed swinging for the fences mentality that did him in, not his age.

I am not talking about steals and longevity numbers per se. However, I don't think Brady's career would have flamed out as such a relatively young age, especially when you consider he was a physical fitness nut and in great playing shape and really not ever suffering any major injury. What caused his premature decline and ultimate demise was his hard headedness in trying to replicate the 50 homer season.

Relatively young age? Most players are out of the league in their mid-30s. Darnell McDonald was probably in better shape than Brady and his career was over before it started. Being in great shape is only coincidentally related to longevity as a ballplayer.

Archived