Minor league rotations

Just Regular

@RZNJ is great at this...I'm mostly borrowing from Roster Resource, but many of the AAA and long relief candidates have thrown a little behind the first five.

AAA : Hall, Zimmermann, Baumann, Watkins, Rom      Does Povich have a shot at making AAA out of camp?    Armbruester get a job forcing Baumann to full time relief, or not if DL Hall makes the Orioles?

AA : Povich, McDermott, Tavera, Young, Stallings      Is Ignacio Feliz any more than a 1.5 times through the order guy?

A+ : Baumler, Bright, Pinto, Virbitsky

A:  Juan Nunez (Melewski IFA #14 in Org), Johnson, Weston, Chaney, Deivy Cruz (Melewski #15)      Here I somewhat tap out on who is who...come on electric scouting reports.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the mention.  Here are my best guesses.

Norfolk

Hall

Rom

Baumann

McGough

Zimmerman

Vallimont

Bowie

Denoyer

Armbruester

Povich

McDermott

Van Loon

Aberdeen

Pinto

Tavera

Virbitsky

Bright

De Los Santos

Delmarva

Chace

Nunez

Cruz

Baumler

Vega

• Upvote 1

Some thoughts.  Baumler threw about 11 innings in Delmarva last year.  If he’s healthy he could move fast, but I’d be real surprised to see him start at Aberdeen.   Cameron Weston and Preston Johnson, not to mention the tall LHP Beck are all possibilities as well.  Ignacio Feliz?   He could return to Aberdeen in the rotation.  If I had to guess, I’d say Bowie bullpen.

Delmarva is going to have a lot of interesting arms.  Where do Juan Rojas, Edgar Portes, Raúl Rangel, and perhaps Luis Sánchez (mentioned by Steve Melewski’s) fit in?

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Some thoughts.  Baumler threw about 11 innings in Delmarva last year.  If he’s healthy he could move fast, but I’d be real surprised to see him start at Aberdeen.   Cameron Weston and Preston Johnson, not to mention the tall LHP Beck are all possibilities as well.  Ignacio Feliz?   He could return to Aberdeen in the rotation.  If I had to guess, I’d say Bowie bullpen.

Delmarva is going to have a lot of interesting arms.  Where do Juan Rojas, Edgar Portes, Raúl Rangel, and perhaps Luis Sánchez (mentioned by Steve Melewski’s) fit in?

I saw you didn't have Watkins in the Norfolk rotation. Do you assume he's in the O's bullpen?

1 minute ago, mlrhode said:

I saw you didn't have Watkins in the Norfolk rotation. Do you assume he's in the O's bullpen?

I forgot about him.  He’s most likely in that Norfolk rotation.   I had six listed unsure where Hall starts.  Vallimont is the most likely to go to the bullpen.  They took him off the 40 and exposed him to waivers so he’s not a priority. McGough, who they picked up in the rule 5 minor league, probably starts in the bullpen if Hall goes to Norfolk.

5 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Some thoughts.  Baumler threw about 11 innings in Delmarva last year.  If he’s healthy he could move fast, but I’d be real surprised to see him start at Aberdeen.  

His 11 IP were pretty good though.  I wouldn't be shocked opening at Aberdeen but can see a quick start at Delmarva.  

Some of those guys at Bowie shouldn't be blocked by some of those guys at Norfolk.  If they aren't on the radar for 2023 O's (muchless 2024), then they're just throwing to make the games happen.  Not saying the Bowie guys will move fast, I just don't want to see them blocked by org fillers.

1 minute ago, btdart20 said:

His 11 IP were pretty good though.  I wouldn't be shocked opening at Aberdeen but can see a quick start at Delmarva.  

Some of those guys at Bowie shouldn't be blocked by some of those guys at Norfolk.  If they aren't on the radar for 2023 O's (muchless 2024), then they're just throwing to make the games happen.  Not saying the Bowie guys will move fast, I just don't want to see them blocked by org fillers.

Besides Povich, and maybe McDermott,  each of who had less than 5 AA starts and high ERA, I think the other guys are likely ML relievers.   

It will be interesting to see if Ryan Watson starts or relieves at Norfolk.  I suspect at some point Zimmerman and Baumann will be moved to make room one way or the other.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

I think the other guys are likely ML relievers.   

Denoyer interests me.  He's definitely had an odd usage in his career and likely ends up in the pen.  Other than Hall and Rom, I don't have much faith in the rest at AAA.  And truth be told, I had to go figure out who McGough was!

When Brnovich back?  

31 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Is Baulmer even ready to pitch anytime soon? With all the offseason feel good stories surrounding the other pitchers, it’s been crickets since he last pitched. 

I will be going to the IronBirds games, well at least a couple of them, when they play at Winston-Salem as I live just fifteen minutes from the WS Dash and their stadium.

Who is the best prospects on their roster as far as pitchers go and players in general?

Must admit that I do not pay as close attention to our minor league as I used too.

26 minutes ago, Bird Is The Word said:

I will be going to the IronBirds games, well at least a couple of them, when they play at Winston-Salem as I live just fifteen minutes from the WS Dash and their stadium.

Who is the best prospects on their roster as far as pitchers go and players in general?

Must admit that I do not pay as close attention to our minor league as I used too.

It’s tbd at the moment.  If Bright or Baumler are there, they’re on my list to watch.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Is Baulmer even ready to pitch anytime soon? With all the offseason feel good stories surrounding the other pitchers, it’s been crickets since he last pitched. 

Yeah crickets…. I think we would have heard surgery news and am working under the impression that rest/rehab is the fix (until we hear otherwise).  

1 hour ago, btdart20 said:

Denoyer interests me.  He's definitely had an odd usage in his career and likely ends up in the pen.  Other than Hall and Rom, I don't have much faith in the rest at AAA.  And truth be told, I had to go figure out who McGough was!

When Brnovich back?  

I don’t have much faith in Rom.  Povich and McDermott have the best upside.  After that it’s Seth Johnson when he returns and waiting on some guys to blossom from the Latin program.

I was under the impression that Denoyer and Armbruester would start in AAA.

I feel like people sleep on Denoyer. As a reminder, he was #20 on Tony's list. Four spots ahead of Rom. Also ahead of most of the rest of our pitching prospects save for Johnson, Povich, Hall and Rodriguez.

2 hours ago, LookinUp said:

I was under the impression that Denoyer and Armbruester would start in AAA.

I feel like people sleep on Denoyer. As a reminder, he was #20 on Tony's list. Four spots ahead of Rom. Also ahead of most of the rest of our pitching prospects save for Johnson, Povich, Hall and Rodriguez.

If you've got Hall, Zimmerman, Watkins, Baumann, and Rom, how does Denoyer fit in?     Maybe if Hall makes the bullpen, one of the others gets released or injured, or one of the others is sent to the bullpen.     This doesn't even include Vallimont who started when he was with Norfolk, and McGough who is a starter with AAA experience.