Norfolk OD Roster - This is a tough one

RZNJ

Lots of moving pieces.  A lot depends on the big league roster, opt outs, and what the Orioles really think of Daz Cameron and Lewin Diaz.

1B Ryan O’Hearn

2B Connor Norby

SS Joey Ortiz

3B Jordan Westburg

C Maverick Handley (for Wildcard!)

LF Hudson Haskin

CF Colton Cowser

RF Franchy Cordero

DH Josh Lester

bench - Bemboom, Grenier, Fontana

They can’t all play there.   I’m guessing the O’s let go of Diaz and Cameron.  Cordero probably has an opt out but I’m guessing it’s more like June 1 instead of March 31.

Pitching

D.L. Hall

Drew Rom

Spenser Watkins

Bruce Zimmerman

Trey McGough

Michael Baumann

Ryan Watson

Logan Gillaspie

Darwon Hernandez

Eduardo Bazardo

Nolan Hoffman

Yennier Cano

Nick Vespi

On 3/15/2023 at 4:04 PM, RZNJ said:

LOL.  Ok.   Kolosvary, Adam Hall, and Reed Garrett.

Handley is hanging around MLB camp a bit longer.  likely 6 more days before those guys headed to Norfolk have to start driving up...  

I touched on this a minute ago in another post... but will the Orioles need a 'travel squad' catcher this year?  IF so... who is it going to be?  I believe it was Davis at the beginning of 2022 and then went to Bemboom after he got demoted and the finished with Roberts.  

WIth Kolozsvary having time on 40 man/26 man rosters, he is guaranteed something around $60K a year and Bemboom is around or above $120K.  Do they have all 3 on Norfolk or do they move one of the three to Bowie?  Has Handley done enough to start let alone play on Norfolk?  Can they move Kolozsvary to Bowie?  There seem to be too many 1B options this year to give the C's time there to get their ABs and too many prospects in OF/IF that need to hit at DH.

Something that hasn't been discussed is do the Orioles look back on the wire after AAA catchers are cut or select free agency over the next week or so?  Depth seems real slim at AA to not have other options on the horizon.

Minor league minimum salaries for players on 40-man rosters, per Ronald Blum / AP

2021 (old CBA): $46,600 first year, $93,000 after

2022: $57,200/$114,100

2023: $58,800/$117,400

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CHIP said:

Handley is hanging around MLB camp a bit longer.  likely 6 more days before those guys headed to Norfolk have to start driving up...  

I touched on this a minute ago in another post... but will the Orioles need a 'travel squad' catcher this year?  IF so... who is it going to be?  I believe it was Davis at the beginning of 2022 and then went to Bemboom after he got demoted and the finished with Roberts.  

WIth Kolozsvary having time on 40 man/26 man rosters, he is guaranteed something around $60K a year and Bemboom is around or above $120K.  Do they have all 3 on Norfolk or do they move one of the three to Bowie?  Has Handley done enough to start let alone play on Norfolk?  Can they move Kolozsvary to Bowie?  There seem to be too many 1B options this year to give the C's time there to get their ABs and too many prospects in OF/IF that need to hit at DH.

Something that hasn't been discussed is do the Orioles look back on the wire after AAA catchers are cut or select free agency over the next week or so?  Depth seems real slim at AA to not have other options on the horizon.

Minor league minimum salaries for players on 40-man rosters, per Ronald Blum / AP

2021 (old CBA): $46,600 first year, $93,000 after

2022: $57,200/$114,100

2023: $58,800/$117,400

I'm betting Handley starts the year at AA as the starter, Bemboom will start in AAA (he's on the split contract) with Kolozsvary backing up. I could see Kolo being a minor league trade, a few major league catchers have gone down recently with injuries (Carson Kelly for example, and Austin Nola, whose backup to being the backup is Pedro Severino). 

I think they're okay in depth with Bemboom, Handley, Kolo, and then Ramon Rodriguez will likely be back in AA. Silas Ardoin is supposed to be defense-first anyways so he might make it to AA if needed just based on that. Obviously Basallo in Aberdeen, and I guess Willems. The cupboard sure isn't full, but it looks better than it has in the recent past. 

3 minutes ago, CharmCityHokie said:

I'm betting Handley starts the year at AA as the starter, Bemboom will start in AAA (he's on the split contract) with Kolozsvary backing up. I could see Kolo being a minor league trade, a few major league catchers have gone down recently with injuries (Carson Kelly for example, and Austin Nola, whose backup to being the backup is Pedro Severino). 

I think they're okay in depth with Bemboom, Handley, Kolo, and then Ramon Rodriguez will likely be back in AA. Silas Ardoin is supposed to be defense-first anyways so he might make it to AA if needed just based on that. Obviously Basallo in Aberdeen, and I guess Willems. The cupboard sure isn't full, but it looks better than it has in the recent past. 

Basallo and Willems in Delmarva.

Ardoin and Florentino at Aberdeen.

Pavalony and Rodriguez in Bowie. 

Handley and Bemboom at Norfolk.   

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Basallo and Willems in Delmarva.

Ardoin and Florentino at Aberdeen.

Pavalony and Rodriguez in Bowie. 

Handley and Bemboom at Norfolk.   

I forgot about Pavalony, good call.

Given his appearances in ST this year, I really think they'll hold onto Kolozsvary unless another team has a 40-man roster spot for him, but we'll see soon I suppose. If they do, not sure where he fits into the puzzle.

24 minutes ago, CharmCityHokie said:

I forgot about Pavalony, good call.

Given his appearances in ST this year, I really think they'll hold onto Kolozsvary unless another team has a 40-man roster spot for him, but we'll see soon I suppose. If they do, not sure where he fits into the puzzle.

As someone else mentioned, they did keep a 3rd catcher on the Norfolk roster last year, so the may keep Kolosvary too.  I just think he’d be the 3rd guy.  Then you’ve got some organizational catchers they’ll move around to fill in.

On 3/21/2023 at 7:22 PM, CharmCityHokie said:

With the recent 'caution' being taken with McCann, the most logical is Bemboom in Boston on OD roster or on Taxi Squad as Roch mentioned this morning.  This along with Kolozsvary's move back to the MLB camp for the past couple days (with no playing time), it would appear that Handley and Kolo go to AAA with Handley being primary.

Handley catching Rodriquez, Hall and others will be fun to watch.

The 50/50 split with Robo/Radar w/ Umps and then Umps calling game with 3 appeals per game of radar will be of interest as the season starts out and progresses.