Charter Communications no longer carrying MASN

Frobby

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but most teams do not have a stream-only option exclusively for their games.  MASN cable subscribers can get it via streaming now as a supplement at no charge, or they can buy an AT&T streaming package that includes MASN.   So I believe MASN has caught up to the market.   

I don't know or care what other teams do, but that AT&T thing isn't an actual, legitimate option. It's forcing you to get most of your programming through AT&T for $100 a month so that you can also get MASN.

MASN and the Orioles have essentially told me to get creative to watch the Orioles.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I don't know or care what other teams do, but that AT&T thing isn't an actual, legitimate option. It's forcing you to get most of your programming through AT&T for $100 a month so that you can also get MASN.

MASN and the Orioles have essentially told me to get creative to watch the Orioles.

so Very Possibly Naughty?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, oh-wee-ohs said:

Except you have to be on the actual wifi of the account. I have access to an account but can't watch any of the RSNs.

You can get around this if you have some technical chops.  You setup a VPN using a cheap credit card sized computer (Raspberry Pi) and install a software VPN.  WireGuard is simple to setup and use.  Then you simply plug this device into the account holder’s network.  This is the same network where the cable box is located.   I’ve been doing this for years before I cut the cord.  Now I use MLBTV and a commercial VPN to tell it I’m somewhere else.  I’ll be glad to show you how to do either. 

I was able to stream games on the web but not the xfinity app because you do have to be on the wifi of the account owner.

It was super annoying to connect a laptop to the tv, etc etc. and the video quality was not good so I just ended up subscribing to the DirectTV Stream. It worked well for me. I think it was $79 a month. 

If I end up back down there this summer I will probably resubscribe. It was nice being able to use it on my Rokus. 

30 minutes ago, banks703 said:

I was able to stream games on the web but not the xfinity app because you do have to be on the wifi of the account owner.

It was super annoying to connect a laptop to the tv, etc etc. and the video quality was not good so I just ended up subscribing to the DirectTV Stream. It worked well for me. I think it was $79 a month. 

If I end up back down there this summer I will probably resubscribe. It was nice being able to use it on my Rokus. 

It's $99 per month plus tax this year. 

13 hours ago, banks703 said:

Damn! I swear it was $79 last year but maybe I am misremembering. I’ll have to check. If they increased it by $20 that’s ridiculous. 

If I'm remembering correctly, last year it was 79 for the first three months, then increased after that. 

15 hours ago, banks703 said:

My laptop is connected to my 75” TV  and while I can’t speak for MASN my MLB.TV stream picture is flawless. If you have T-Mobile MLBTV is free for subscribers.  Have to sign up before April 4th.

Edited by drdelaware

I cut the cord 4 years ago and have seen a handful of games. I’m will to pay for MLB.TV but not to watch a game after it is played. Cracks me up that they come up with all these silly new rules to attract young fans but life long fans like me can’t even watch a live game. Sad.

7 hours ago, bmore34 said:

Spectrum on the Outer Banks also dropped MASN effective April 1.  So I'm out of luck too.

So no MLB franchise broadcasting to Outer Banks residents?  No Braves if I remember correctly.  I guess if you are a Balt/Wash MASN subscriber on vacation you can stream and cast to your rental home TV.

I had problems on Xfinity streaming RSN games on my laptop which was at a different address than the actual xfinity cable account.

This year I have t-mobile internet and was able to get the mlb.tv package for free, (offer expired April 4th) but it took a phone call and typing codes into my phone from the wifi display sent by the operator to get it mlb.tv working. It wasnt a simple process, but theres no blackout in PA this year for O's games.

I watched opening day yesterday in real time for the 1st time since 2017.

• Upvote 1

The whole regional sports network model is dying and it’s creating a mess for fans.  In some ways it’s better to be a fan outside a team’s local market - I have no trouble watching the O’s from IN using MLB.TV (unless they’re playing Chicago or Cincy).  If I lived in the Orioles’ market it would cost me a ton more money to follow the O’s, which is just wrong.

If you’re interested in following where this is going, follow John Ourand on twitter or listen to his podcast.  Really interesting how Manfred is trying to get out of this blackout mess.  Plus Ourand is an O’s fan - he’s got an Orioles jacket hanging in the background in the YouTube version of his podcast.