Worst-ever regular season Orioles losses?

Frobby

36 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

Worse than the Chris Ray blown save was this game, where Koji Uehara appeared to have struck A-Rod out looking to end the game, but the ump called it a ball. (A-Rod had whined about strike one.) Rodriguez then hit a 3-run bomb to give the NYY a 4-3 win.

I think that's the one I was trying to remember. Didn't it involve rain also?

4 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I think that's the one I was trying to remember. Didn't it involve rain also?

There was also a Yankee game at Camden Yards where the umpires would not stop the game in the pouring rain despite the Orioles' protests that they couldn't see in the field. They allowed Derek Jeter to drive in the go-ahead run and then stopped the game right after. 

Mother's Day Massacre was by far the worst that I remember watching. It was such a train wreck, you just couldn't stop watching despite how horrible it was. I was baffled after the game, the 30-3 game jumped the shark so much that it didn't have the same effect on me. When Paul Shuey was just in there junk-balling it I just shook my head and said "baseball is weird" but the Mother's Day Massacre truly hurt my Orioles fandom. 

Mother's Day Massacre was the worst for me.  I started the grill at the top of the 9th, game was over, right? I had the whole family over for Mother's Day. I kept running inside to watch this slow motion nightmare unfold and ended up burning the burgers.  I didn't care because I had lost my appetite, other people at the cookout were more focused on the ruined burgers as I recall.  It is always terrible to be walked off, but to be walked off in Boston (or Toronto), for me sucks more than New York.

• Upvote 2

Another early-season heartbreaker was in 2017.  The O’s had come out of the gate strong after the crushing wild-card loss in ‘16, and at 14-7 were even with the Yankees in the standings as they jumped out to a 9-1 lead in NY, and then later led 11-4.

O’s still led 11-8 going to the ninth, but Brad Brach gave up a 3-run game-tying HR and then in the bottom of the 10th, Jayson Aquino gave up another 3-run shot to lose it 14-11.

Even though the O’s eventually got to 22-10 before fading in Buck’s last season, that game felt like the beginning of the dark ages to come.  

All blown saves are painful, but the Mother's Day Massacre game was the worst for me. The 30-3 blowout was also painful...national laughing stock kind of painful. Jimenez giving up the walk off homer in Toronto in the 2016 play in game was a top three loss for me. That was very painful. Those are top three for me and I am going to leave the thread now because I don't want to keep thinking about painful losses!

p.s. I guess the Toronto game doesn't count...I just noticed Frobby said regular season. 

Edited by Ohfan67

I would think the two most painful regular season losses in terms of the ramifications have to be the last game of the 1982 season and the Gregg Olson bounced curveball game the final weekend of 1989 against Toronto.  All these other losses we've mentioned are painful, yes, but those two left me walking around like a zombie for a couple of days.

33 minutes ago, kaj21206 said:

Final game of 1982.  Dishonorable mentions: 08/06/86, Friday game of the last weekend of the 1989 season in Toronto. The opening series of the 1978 season against the Brewers was horrid as well.

I also thought of 89. Probably the most devastated I've been as an O's fan. However, they did play a good game, just couldn't score after Bradley's leadoff homer.