Austin Voth 2023

HakunaSakata

Voth needs to go back to AAA and we need to call up Vespi. Voth has looked this way since Spring Training and is far too prone to the long ball. It’s unfortunate but also expected as relievers have wild variance year to year. He was much better as a starter but we don’t have a need for that this year with better options available. Glad the Birds picked up Grayson and won the game tonight despite Voth’s poor performance.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Grayson had no business starting the 5th. 

Not true at all. His pitch count was still reasonable coming out for the fifth and he was in line for the win. He's still getting stretched out. And if we're not going to let our prized top pitching prospect earn a win, then we shouldn't be trying to develop him and we're basically not even trying to win at that point.

Couldn't disagree more with your post. I've been criticizing Hyde a lot in other threads for other decisions he made, but he took GRod out at the appropriate time.

1 minute ago, Explosivo said:

Voth needs to go back to AAA and we need to call up Vespi.

I'm a big fan of Nick Vespi. He's been mostly great every time I've seen him in relief for the Orioles last season. For the life of me, I have no idea why they kept optioning him back down to the minors. He's a very competent left handed reliever. I'm looking forward to the day he gets the call again and they keep him with the Big League team. Stop giving him the yo-yo. He deserves to be in the big leagues and he will help the team.

7 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Not true at all. His pitch count was still reasonable coming out for the fifth and he was in line for the win. He's still getting stretched out. And if we're not going to let our prized top pitching prospect earn a win, then we shouldn't be trying to develop him and we're basically not even trying to win at that point.

Couldn't disagree more with your post. I've been criticizing Hyde a lot in other threads for other decisions he made, but he took GRod out at the appropriate time.

The appropriate time? I thought he you wanted him to earn the win.

Why not let him get out of his own mess then?

Even when Voth was good as a starter last season, he had major problems getting past 5 innings. So even with "good" Voth, you're going to tax your bullpen every fifth day if he starts. We have at least 5 other SPs better than him right now, so I think the correct move is to DFA him and let him start at AAA if he clears waivers.

Agree that Vespi should get another shot, and Kriehbel would be a better option as well for some lower leverage middle innings. Right now Voth is giving up too many home runs and is a major liability in the pen.

Voth was found money last year. Time to let him go, there's no big loss in doing so.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DirtyBird said:

The appropriate time? I thought he you wanted him to earn the win.

Why not let him get out of his own mess then?

Are you serious? He had walked three batters  in the inning and he was near 100 pitches. He had never thrown over 100 pitches before going back to last season, and I believe his entire career. Hyde handled the inning well with Grayson, even though he made the wrong decision bringing in Voth (should have been Coulombe).

Are you really young and haven't watched much baseball? Honest question.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Are you serious? He had walked three batters  in the inning and he was near 100 pitches. He had never thrown over 100 pitches before going back to last season, and I believe his entire career. Hyde handled the inning well with Grayson, even though he made the wrong decision bringing in Voth (should have been Coulombe).

Are you really young and haven't watched much baseball? Honest question.

Letting a kid walk the bases loaded in the 5th inning of his 2nd career start is handling the inning well?

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Letting a kid walk the bases loaded in the 5th inning of his 2nd career start is handling the inning well?

Letting a top pitching prospect and future potential ace start the 5th inning against the worst team in baseball in a position to earn the win - and pitching the way he had been pitching - was handling the inning well. Absolutely. No one who knows anything about baseball would disagree with that. But you apparently do disagree.

You're conflating the results of the inning with the decision to bring him out in the 5th. The rationale for the decision to bring Rodriguez out for the 5th was perfectly fine. It was also perfectly acceptable for Hyde to take Rodriguez out with the bases loaded at the precise time that Hyde did so. It was a poor decision by Hyde to bring in Voth instead of Coulombe and the team paid dearly for it.

Luckily it didn't lead to a loss because Mountcastle was on fire tonight, and because the Orioles were playing the worst team in baseball.

Edited by Brooks The Great
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Letting a top pitching prospect and future potential ace start the 5th inning against the worst team in baseball in a position to earn the win - and pitching the way he had been pitching - was handling the inning well. Absolutely. No one who knows anything about baseball would disagree with that. But you apparently do disagree.

You're conflating the results of the inning with the decision to bring him out in the 5th. The rationale for the decision to bring Rodriguez out for the 5th was perfectly fine. It was also perfectly acceptable for Hyde to take Rodriguez out with the bases loaded at the precise time that Hyde did so. It was a poor decision by Hyde to bring in Voth instead of Coulombe and the team paid dearly for it.

Luckily it didn't lead to a loss because Mountcastle was on fire tonight, and because the Orioles were playing the worst team in baseball.

He had allowed 7 base runners in 4 innings. 
He was getting ahead of batters and giving up hits. Had a chance to leave the game on a positive note. 

He comes back in, walks 3 and one base hit sets him up to take the L.

Even when asked, Hyde said it was about not bringing in the bullpen in the 5th inning - nothing about getting Grayson a W.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Voth needs to get a clean game right from the get go to be effective. I don't like him in the bullpen. And there's something going on with his breaking balls where they're not getting enough spin and they're just hanging there for the hitter saying, "hit me!"

At this point it looks like Joey Krehbiel would be more effective in the bullpen. Krehbiel seems to have corrected what was plaguing him in Spring Training and has had some effective outings in AAA for Norfolk. (Though I'm not going to trust him in high leverage situations.)

I also think that anytime you're asking a reliever to come in with bases loaded in a tie, or 1 run game, then you better be using one of your best high leverage consistent relief pitchers.  We've never seen Voth in that role before. He was only effective as a starter to came in when injuries happened.

I'm willing to give Austin some more slack, but if I'm honest, I'm losing my confidence in how much I think he'd be any good for the team. The only thing that gave me the slightest hope was that he came back out with a clean inning and retired the side. Maybe just don't put him in high pressure situations? Maybe only give him a clean slate to take the mound? And if you can't afford to give him a clean slate, than he's not your guy out of the bullpen.

This board has no place for reasonable posts. Good day, sir!

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Grayson had no business starting the 5th. 

HIs body language spoke "spent" volumes to me.   I did not like bringing him in for the fifth though most of the game thread fans seemed to totally be behind it.   Then he shit the bed.   He really struggled getting a third strike.  He just could not put a guy a way.   

• Upvote 1

If Voth was claimed after his work in the Nats bullpen last year, he’ll be claimed after his extended impressive work in the O’s rotation. There is no Norfolk Tides for him. 

My opinion (which is admittedly cooled after the W tonight) is that it’s been 4 appearances. Relievers have bad 4 game stretches all the time. O’s can find some non-critical spots for him while he tries to work out the kinks. If it’s like this on May 1st, it’s a different story. 

• Upvote 1