Should we claim Franmil Reyes

sportsfan8703

He’s a RH COF power bat. We don’t have that type of bat in AAA. Would we take the time to try and fix him in AAA?  

He costs the prorated portion of his $2m deal. Heck, we took on O’Hearn, and Torrens, for $1.2 million. Both of those guys were claimed and we were willing to live with the price because we didn’t/don’t have the depth that they offered in AAA. 

The guy isn’t a savior, but we’ve “fixed” several players. Heck, waiver pickups like Diaz and O’Hearn are having career years in AAA early on. 

Why not claim Reyes?  He has two options. We have a 40 man spot open after Khreibel. If we fix Reyes that is one less hole that we’d consider filling at the trade deadline, and he could be potentially a piece for next year as well. 

That’s a lot of power that fits a hole, and he could possibly just need our coaching. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

Lol, I saw he was available and was like, "Oh know, I hope Elias doesn't see his new Jesus Aguilar is available."

The answer is a resounding no. This team has no need for a right-handed DH. They're already carrying a 3rd catcher. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Lol, I saw he was available and was like, "Oh know, I hope Elias doesn't see his new Jesus Aguilar is available."

The answer is a resounding no. This team has no need for a right-handed DH. They're already carrying a 3rd catcher. 

So, do you think Elias will claim him by the end of business today? Lol. He has Elias waiver claim written all over him. Anything to prevent calling up a worthy candidate from Norfolk.

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

They already have a right handed DH but for some reason they keep playing him at 1B

1 minute ago, maybenxtyr said:

So, do you think Elias will claim him by the end of business today? Lol. He has Elias waiver claim written all over him. Anything to prevent calling up a worthy candidate from Norfolk.

I have given up trying to understand Elias' roster management after this offseason, but I'm hopeful the organization is past these kinds of claims. Then again, he's carrying three catchers so never say never.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

@Tony-OHAt first I thought that too, not gonna lie, but he’s only 27 and he’s had good-big years every year of his career since he’s been in the MLB, except 2022 through now. 

Is he done at 27?  I doubt that. Haven’t we reached the point where we can turn around players like this?

We currently don’t have a RH COF/DH type in AAA. He’s the type of player you take a chance on. But for his 2022 season he’s a $10-$15 million a year bat. If we fix him, we could have for all of this season and next.  Plus he has two options. 

I think this is exactly the type of player you take a chance on. 27. Not 32. Work out a small trade with KC, see if they will eat some money for a player, then let our coaching/analytics fix him in AAA. Everyone in AAA is mashing. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

At first I thought that too, not gonna lie, but he’s only 27 and he’s had good-big years every year of his career since he’s been in the MLB. 

Is he done at 27?  I doubt that. Haven’t we reached the point where we can turn around players like this?

We currently don’t have a RH COF/DH type in AAA. He’s the type of player you take a chance on. But for his 2022 season he’s a $10-$15 million a year bat. If we fix him, we could have for all of this season and next.  Plus he has two options. 

I think this is exactly the type of player you take a chance on. 27. Not 32. Work out a small trade with KC, see if they will eat some money for a player, then let our coaching/analytics fix him in AAA. Everyone in AAA is mashing. 

They decided that they couldn't fix Nomar Mazara. Not everyone can be fixed. 

I respect your opinion, but they are beyond the point of claiming just to make a claim...at least I would think. There's a bevy of talent in Norfolk that I'd bet money on over Reyes.

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

At first I thought that too, not gonna lie, but he’s only 27 and he’s had good-big years every year of his career since he’s been in the MLB. 

What hitter has the Orioles remade from another organization into a quality bat that they could trade for value? 

I'm not sure you get analytics when it comes to hitters. It's not like pitchers where you can adjust their pitching shapes or repertoire. Either hitters can hit or they can't. Reyes can't hit offspeed. Pitchers know this so he doesn't get many good fastballs to hit anymore.

There is no magic coaching or analytics that's going to remake Reyes into a quality bat that they can trade. And yes, some guys are just done by 27. It happens all the time.

Plus, the ROYALS DFA'd him.

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

What hitter has the Orioles remade from another organization into a quality bat that they could trade for value? 

I'm not sure you get analytics when it comes to hitters. It's not like pitchers where you can adjust their pitching shapes or repertoire. Either hitters can hit or they can't. Reyes can't hit offspeed. Pitchers know this so he doesn't get many good fastballs to hit anymore.

There is no magic coaching or analytics that's going to remake Reyes into a quality bat that they can trade. And yes, some guys are just done by 27. It happens all the time.

Plus, the ROYALS DFA'd him.

I’m not interested in Reyes, but I think there are certainly hitters who benefit from a change of organizations and coaching techniques.  

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m not interested in Reyes, but I think there are certainly hitters who benefit from a change of organizations and coaching techniques.  

That's all well and good. You can think anyway that you want. But, no one has been able to tell me when the Orioles were able to do this and then trade them for value which so what the OP wanted to do.

I don't believe the Orioles have some magic formula that suddenly makes hitters better. 

If they did, Mountcastle would not be swinging at pitches three feet outside of the zone and have a .270 OBP.

• Upvote 1

I don't see the O's claiming him and taking on the rest of the 2m salary.

He is a bad fielding RF that makes him a DH for the O's.   They would rather promote Westburg than  put Reyes on the 40 man roster.

I don't even see them signing him if he becomes a FA.   They have Kjerstad in RF in Norfolk in about a month.   They have O'Hearn who they are paying and Diaz who is hitting at 1B and DH.   

I don't see a spot even at AAA for him.

19 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

That's all well and good. You can think anyway that you want. But, no one has been able to tell me when the Orioles were able to do this and then trade them for value which so what the OP wanted to do.

I don't believe the Orioles have some magic formula that suddenly makes hitters better. 

If they did, Mountcastle would not be swinging at pitches three feet outside of the zone and have a .270 OBP.

1.  Just because the Orioles haven’t done it doesn’t mean it can’t be done.  
2.  Why limit this to players who were traded after having success? Let’s say Mateo finishes the year with an .800+ OPS.  (Granted, it’s not at all a given that this will happen, and his OPS has dropped like a rock in the last week or so.)   Would the fact that he hasn’t been traded detract from the claim that the Orioles were able to remake him?   
I feel like I could come up with plenty of examples of players who struggled with one organization and thrived with another.  Mike Yastrzemski and J.D. Martinez come immediately to mind.  

• Upvote 1