This team....

Avsfan

We just need Coach Mike John Wooden K. Pitino Brey to bring us our dream here at MD. :rolleyes:

My dead great-great-great-great grandfather would probably do a better job getting talent here than GW. Doesn't it embarrass you that our starting C is DAVID NEAL? It's a retread team with a retread coach.

When is the last time MD fans were able to say, "Man, that guy gave us for great years."? I would say Blake. By great, I mean consistent and was a player who had a great impact on the team with few mistakes along the way. Since then, we've had player like NCM, Gilchrest, Garrsion, McCray, Vasquez. You could argue Gist but he wasn't nearly as dominate as he could have been.

I have been a Gary supporter, but this has put me over the edge. I think it is time for a change, bring in someone new with a new recruiting style. Might take a few years but it is the time. I appreciate Gary and all he has done, but finding diamonds in the rough isn't working very well anymore like when he found Dixon, Baxter, Wilcox, Mouton, Joe Smith, Nicholas, Blake, etc. It just isn't working anymore.

I can't believe the support Brey has gotten on here. I like him too, but he's a Coach K disciple, I wouldn't think anyone would be that into him.

If you had to choose between a) a Coach K disciple or b) a guy completely disinterested in recruiting...who would you pick?

If you had to choose between a) a Coach K disciple or b) a guy completely disinterested in recruiting...who would you pick?

Gary's never been interested in recruiting, he just always had good recruiters (Perry, Dickerson, and Hahn) around him. Obviously now he doesn't have that.

To answer your question though, I'd rather have Gary Williams and his two Final Fours, 2 ACC Regular Season titles, 1 ACC tournament title, and National title over Mike Brey and his two America East titles any day of the week and twice on Thursdays.

For the record I do like Brey and think he's an excellent coach, but to say he'd be an improvement over Gary Williams is just plain silly.

Gary's never been interested in recruiting, he just always had good recruiters (Perry, Dickerson, and Hahn) around him. Obviously now he doesn't have that.

To answer your question though, I'd rather have Gary Williams and his two Final Fours, 2 ACC Regular Season titles, 1 ACC tournament title, and National title over Mike Brey and his two America East titles any day of the week and twice on Thursdays.

For the record I do like Brey and think he's an excellent coach, but to say he'd be an improvement over Gary Williams is just plain silly.

If you want to keep using what happened 9+ years ago as a reason to keep him in the future, go right ahead. I mean, how could anyone possibly be an improvement over a guy who turned a nat'l championship team into a perennial NIT team who can't keep any good local talent? And, you said yourself that he's not interested in recruiting. You wouldn't be upset if the Heels had a coach who didn't want to recruit? If your boys got the same pathetic level of talent that Gary lands, you'd be crying to boot him tomorrow and you know it...

If you want to keep using what happened 9+ years ago as a reason to keep him in the future, go right ahead. I mean, how could anyone possibly be an improvement over a guy who turned a nat'l championship team into a perennial NIT team who can't keep any good local talent? And, you said yourself that he's not interested in recruiting. You wouldn't be upset if the Heels had a coach who didn't want to recruit? If your boys got the same pathetic level of talent that Gary lands, you'd be crying to boot him tomorrow and you know it...

They were a #4 seed in the NCAA's two years ago man. He also turned a program close to the death penalty into a National Champion. They should name the court after him when he leaves, not force him out the door. The reason you are so upset is because he has spoiled you guys so much. Let's be honest here.

Gary has had more success keeping local talent than any Maryland coach ever, and it's not even close. Lefty got 1 Baltimore kid, and Gary has gotten Baltimore kids like Dixon, Booth, and Elliott. I said he's never been interested in recruiting, this isn't any new revelation FLK, it's a fact that goes back to his BC days. He's always had good assistants do it for him. Even when Maryland was winning titles, it wasn't Gary in the living room.

Gary has had more success keeping local talent than any Maryland coach ever, and it's not even close. Lefty got 1 Baltimore kid, and Gary has gotten Baltimore kids like Dixon, Booth, and Elliott. I said he's never been interested in recruiting, this isn't any new revelation FLK, it's a fact that goes back to his BC days. He's always had good assistants do it for him. Even when Maryland was winning titles, it wasn't Gary in the living room.

That is just a completely false statement. Baltimore isn't the only local area to Maryland. How about Washington DC? How about recruits like Dutch Morley, Adrian Branch, Len Bias? Who cares about getting Baltimore players when you go get National recruits like from North Carolina named Tom McMillan and Buck Williams. Or top National recruits like Albert King and Len Elmore. He even signed the #1 recruit in the nation from Philadelphia named Reggie Jackson. (though he turned out to be over rated but never the less he did pick Maryland.) How about Jo Jo Hunter, Moe Howard, Brad Davis, etc, etc.

I love how you Gary defenders just fluff off the fact "he isn't interested in recruiting." That is at least 50% of his job. He is not being paid minimum wage here. How about multi-millions per year. Do your complete job not just the part you are 'interested in." Give me a break. That great Baltimore recruit he got named Juan Dixon has saved his entire career. A recruit that "NO ONE" including Gary himself ever thought was going to be the leading scorer in the history of Maryland Basketball.

That is just a completely false statement. Baltimore isn't the only local area to Maryland. How about Washington DC? How about recruits like Dutch Morley, Adrian Branch, Len Bias? Who cares about getting Baltimore players when you go get National recruits like from North Carolina named Tom McMillan and Buck Williams. Or top National recruits like Albert King and Len Elmore. He even signed the #1 recruit in the nation from Philadelphia named Reggie Jackson. (though he turned out to be over rated but never the less he did pick Maryland.) How about Jo Jo Hunter, Moe Howard, Brad Davis, etc, etc.

I love how you Gary defenders just fluff off the fact "he isn't interested in recruiting." That is at least 50% of his job. He is not being paid minimum wage here. How about multi-millions per year. Do your complete job not just the part you are 'interested in." Give me a break. That great Baltimore recruit he got named Juan Dixon has saved his entire career. A recruit that "NO ONE" including Gary himself ever thought was going to be the leading scorer in the history of Maryland Basketball.

I was referring to Baltimore only, which is what i thought FLK meant. For a while there, Lefty was the only coach to recruit the North Carolina players of the year away from Coach Smith (Buck and Keith Gatlin).

The Baltimore recruit that opened the doors there was Keith Booth, who was the first Baltimore kid since Earnie Graham to go to College Park out of High School not counting the Bob Wade "era". I'm with you on Dixon, it's not like he was a great recruit, and that's my whole point, Maryland rarely, if ever during this tenure got top recruits. Heck, Art Perry went to Maury to recruit Ed Geth more than Joe Smith, and look what happened there.

Gary has always made players better, he doesn't go for the McDonald's guys...Jimmy Jackson, Mike Jones, Danny Miller, Travis Garrison are his McDonalds recruits. Duke, Kansas, and Carolina get more than that in one year.

I'm not dismissing the recruiting aspect of coaching, I just think that some guys are better than others and those who aren't as strong surround themselves with assistants who are. Gary's won 600 games doing it his way, I'm not going to argue with him.

I have mentioned this before but I think a lot of head coaches leave the recruiting up to their assistants.

Look at Coach K...He has always had his assistants do a lot of the recruiting...I think he goes in to seal the deal but guys like Wojo do a lot of the leg work.

Archived