Angels series

Just Regular

Big series between possible teams for East 4th place and West 2nd place, an okay guess as the last racers for AL6.

AL Active Roster K-BB standing among SP with 20 IP, a group of 63 guys as of today on FG.

(20) Grayson v. (4) Shohei

(42) Kremer v. (~62.5) Silseth*

(39) Bradish v. (41) Canning

(24) Wells v. (61) Ty. Anderson

*Silseth has been a fast moving prospect, and only faced 35 batters so far this year - 5/5 K/BB is an easy 0% K-BB.    Had he the 20 innings, he'd fall somewhere between next to last and last in the list, but he is as green as Grayson and talented enough to have made it to the show fast.

The Angels just finished a series in Cleveland, where closer Carlos Estevez pitched in a loss today, but the starter otherwise saved the bullpen.     Trout got a rest day except for pinch hitting, as former 1-1 Mickey Moniak got his 2nd consecutive start after recall from AAA where he was running hot.      They've lost each of their last three series 2-1 against TEX-HOU-CLE, a tough slate of opponents.     

• Upvote 2

Fangraphs Playoff Odds currently has us at 37% to their 26%. A series win would help solidify our lead. I like our chances with Kremer and Wells the way they pitched their last starts. Grayson vs Shohei would be a huge coup but if he can get through five or six, we have Baker, Cano, and Bautista all rested. 

During the offseason, one of the craziest things I learned was how awful the Stars and Scrubs bottom of the order was for the 2022 Angels.     Here were their Batting 6th/7th/8th/9th lines last year:

183/244/287

192/246/301

204/265/301

195/253/313

The 2023 reinforcements are working - those Bottom spots year to date have OPSs entering today around 830, 770, 750 and 550, though Logan O'Hoppe who did some of that good work has already been lost long term.

'22 Rougned for us was 207/275/357 so Ohtani-Trout's last year experience was about 4/9ths of everyone who played all season long being much worse.

52 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Much like he did vs DeGrom, Grayson just need to go out and pitch to the Angels and not worry about Othani being the opposing pitcher.

For once the P you’re facing as a pitcher, is actually a guy you’re facing!  I think I have taken for granted a little bit what Ohtani is doing. It’s wild that you have to worry about outpitching him, but also worry about how to get him out.  I’m sure that’s a first for Grayson since his HS days. 

I was just looking at Ohtani’s pitching log.  He hasn’t been all that good lately, coughing up 12 earned runs over 18 IP in his last three starts.  His last one was solid but less than dominant, 7 IP, 3 ER.  Before that three gsme stretch, he’d allowed 2 ER in 28 IP.

1 minute ago, oriole said:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but are there any weird rules with the SP being in the lineup? Do they lose the DH after Ohtani is done on the mound?

No they made a special rule to allow it because of Ohtani. He gets to stay in as DH.

• Thanks 1