Get rid of “Thank God I’m a Country Boy?”

Frobby

Get rid of “Thank God I’m a Country Boy?”  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should the O’s get rid of “Thank God I’m a Country Boy?”

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/31/23 at 16:49

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd go with Right Field by Peter, Paul and Mary first.

It isn't as played out.

"Right Field" seems to be about unathletic dope-smoking hippies.  Whereas "Centerfield" is about people who are good at baseball and enjoy it.

Also it's such a good song Fogerty was sued for plagiarizing himself when writing it.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

This was raised tangentially in the City Connect thread - is it time for the Orioles to ditch “Thank God I’m a Country Boy?”

If your answer is yes, do you have a suggestion for a specific song or type of song to replace it?   If you answer “Sweet Caroline,” I will personally come to your house and hit you with a sledgehammer.  

Personally, I don’t care much one way or the other.  I was going to games when the tradition started.  It seemed like the O’s were always rallying in the bottom of the 7th after that song got played, so they kept playing it.  Simple as that.  The song has nothing to do with Baltimore, but I guess it makes more sense than “Rocky Mountain High” or “Take Me Home, Country Roads.”

43 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I care (about correcting folks).

https://wror.com/listicle/the-story-behind-why-we-sing-sweet-caroline-at-fenway-park/#

Not the case. 

Sweet Caroline was first played at Fenway Park in 1997 after a Red Sox employee in charge of music at the park played the song as a tribute to a friend who had given birth to a baby named Caroline. The song caught on and has played before the bottom of the eighth since.

Edited by tntoriole
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

https://wror.com/listicle/the-story-behind-why-we-sing-sweet-caroline-at-fenway-park/#

Not the case. 

Sweet Caroline was first played at Fenway Park in 1997 after a Red Sox employee in charge of music at the park played the song as a tribute to a friend who had given birth to a baby named Caroline. The song caught on and has played before the bottom of the eighth since.

That's good that CoC is wrong.  Although he never admits it.  

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

I've already lost the Bullets and Redskins names in hoops and football, along with a bunch of time-honored baseball traditions (I'm looking at you, interleague play... haha).  Like some others on here, I love the song because it immediately takes me back to the glory days in the Old Gray Lady of 33rd Street in the late '70s and early '80s.  Would hate to lose yet another reminder of that era.  

• Upvote 1

It's an interesting question.  I am both a believer in "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and "just because it's what we've always done isn't a good enough reason to keep doing it."

In this case, I'm not sure the origins of the song's use warrant its continued play.  By the same token, I don't like when a change feels forced.  I do think we are in a sort of rebirth organizationally so it would be a good time to try some new stuff, but hopefully they find a way for it to be organic.  Maybe the song should change annually, like this year they choose something based on the sprinkler theme the players started.  I don't know, but I would let someone more creative than me figure it out.

“The Orioles have tried to implement new seventh-inning stretch music over the years: “Orioles Magic” in 1980, Rick Dempsey’s “Old Time Rock and Roll” cover in ’87, and others. None caught on like Denver's “Country Boy,” though the song was taken out of circulation from '88-93 by owner Eli Jacobs. It returned after Peter Angelos bought the team and remains to this day, played immediately after “Take Me Out To The Ballgame.”

https://www.mlb.com/news/orioles-john-denver-seventh-inning-stretch-connection