Trade targets: Starters and Bullpen

Matt S

Hey all. Haven't posted in quite a while. Just curious what the general consensus is for some realistic trade targets for the rotation and bullpen? I know there's no true #1 ace out there, or an Andrew Miller type reliever. I know Eduardo Rodriguez and Justin Steele are hurt right now and hopefully they come back soon. I'd love to bring the prodigal son, Rodriguez, back to Bmore. Outside of that,  I'm drawing a blank on possible names. I look forward to hearing what everyone has to say! 

What one person defines as "realistic" is completely subjective because the only people that matter is the front office of the 2 teams who make the transaction decisions. When the 2022 season began, how many people in baseball believed it was "realistic" to have an opportunity to trade for Jaun Soto? (Rhetorical question).

I think it's too early to know what players will be available for trade. With the Wildcard playoff spot added and so many teams jumbled together, it's probable that there will be less teams in total sell mode at the trade deadline like we had become accustomed to in many seasons of the past.

As for Eduard, he's injured and on the IL. I also think you have to be careful when looking at players like that. It's possible that his 2 months to start the 2023 season is an unusual anomaly when you look at all of his other past history. Especially when you consider the risk vs reward with the law of diminishing return while thinking about what we'd have to give away to acquire such a player.

I've heard Dylan Cease, Eduardo Rodriguez and Shane Bieber recently mentioned from national media as possibilities. As Billy mentioned its still very early when it comes to those types of things developing. 

If I'm the Orioles, given the strength of the MILB system, and the lack of interest in spending in free agency, I would be very hesitant to go for a rental (at least with our top 100 guys). I would hope that if we are trading our top end talent that its for a guy who will be here a few years (Cease over ERod). However, I do think our system is also at a place where we can also trade from depth rather than from the top for a rental, ala the Dodgers for Manny in 2018.

1 hour ago, AlbNYfan said:

Why would the Tigers trade ER?? They are in the hunt in the AL Central despite being 5 games under .500. They are closer to their division lead than the O's are.

Well because he has an opt-out after the season which he is almost certain to exercise. Plus they have no realistic shot at making noise/winning rounds once they get into the post season. But hey if they want to take all of those chances just to qualify for the post season and say that they got in, that's on them. But a good GM would look at the situation (like Elias did with us last year) and evaluate the realistic possibility of success now vs more success later with more talent added/developed. 

But I agree with @Billy F-Face3 it's just too early to know with any kind of certainty until we get to July what's what and who's who.

Alex Cobb might be a guy worth considering. Favorable contract getting paid $9m this year, with a club option for next year $10m. I would hope that the cost wouldn't be too high, as the Giants aren't real competitors for anything this year. Maybe we could land Cobb with a package something like Norby & Bencosme.

I'd imagine Cobb would fair a bit better in Camden a second time around.

I believe Eduardo's injury will keep him out past the Trade Deadline if it tracks similar to Adam Wainwright and Randy Dobnak, the two other ruptured pulleys in the somewhat recent record.    It could even muddy the water on him opting out, if he is shaky in September.

Notwithstanding the weak AL Central keeping them close to 1st place, the new Tigers GM has been selling from Day 1.     Matthew Boyd and Michael Lorenzen will be options for somebody, and Tarik Skubal could be a very big fish by July if his next 6 weeks are strong.

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

I believe Eduardo's injury will keep him out past the Trade Deadline if it tracks similar to Adam Wainwright and Randy Dobnak, the two other ruptured pulleys in the somewhat recent record.    It could even muddy the water on him opting out, if he is shaky in September.

Notwithstanding the weak AL Central keeping them close to 1st place, the new Tigers GM has been selling from Day 1.     Matthew Boyd and Michael Lorenzen will be options for somebody, and Tarik Skubal could be a very big fish by July if his next 6 weeks are strong.

ERod could be a “buy low” too.  Rarely do we see guys on the IL traded but maybe there’s a deal to be made…

2 hours ago, Es4M11 said:

Alex Cobb might be a guy worth considering. Favorable contract getting paid $9m this year, with a club option for next year $10m. I would hope that the cost wouldn't be too high, as the Giants aren't real competitors for anything this year. Maybe we could land Cobb with a package something like Norby & Bencosme.

I'd imagine Cobb would fair a bit better in Camden a second time around.

While it may not be a bad idea on paper, something hurts my soul about the idea of trading Norby and Bencosme for a guy we traded for Jahmai Jones. 

How long are we staying with the DL Hall as a SP experiment?  For this season, and the future… it’s looking like we should just make Hall a full time reliever and see what we have. I’d rather make that call with Hall versus trading prospects for a guy like Aroldis Chapman. With our current formula for winning, we do need one more premium bullpen arm. 

24 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

ERod could be a “buy low” too.  Rarely do we see guys on the IL traded but maybe there’s a deal to be made…

The only rationale that I could see for doing something like that is if you didn’t believe in any of the other impact starters available on the market or if you don’t believe that you have better than long shot odds yourself.

Just now, Bemorewins said:

The only rationale that I could see for doing something like that is if you didn’t believe in any of the other impact starters available on the market or if you don’t believe that you have better than long shot odds yourself.

We’re out on any deal involving Ed Rod. That contract is too risky for us. 

17 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

How long are we staying with the DL Hall as a SP experiment?  For this season, and the future… it’s looking like we should just make Hall a full time reliever and see what we have. I’d rather make that call with Hall versus trading prospects for a guy like Aroldis Chapman. With our current formula for winning, we do need one more premium bullpen arm. 

Wait. Why would we be trading anything of serious value for a couple of months of a 35 year old Aroldis Chapman?

He would be a marginal upgrade at best and most definitely would not cost anything of significant value.