Bowden discusses the trade deadline

Sports Guy

55 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’ve already expressed my view that speculating about deadline trades is pretty pointless until after the all star break.  I’ll only add that in general, my approach to the subject is to have zero expectation that anything will happen, and then just react when something does.   The transactions that actually occur often bear no resemblance at all to the ones that get speculated about on this board.  How much discussion was there about Gibson, Frazier or McCann before those deals happened?  None.   But there sure was a lot of discussion of other things that never occurred.  So, it’s pretty much a waste of time.  

Aren't internet message boards and chat rooms, in general, a waste of time?  If nobody here has any say in what personnel or game decisions are made,  and no affect at all on a game, all discussion here is speculation, opinion, and correcting each other's grammar.

53 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I'm not saying that's his value, I'm saying multiple GMs and owners will want to acquire him.  If Cohen tells the Mets GM to get Ohtani, is he going to tell him that's too much to give up? 

I’m not sure why Cohen will be telling his GM to trade anything for Ohtani. The Mets have been scuffling all season and there’s a good chance that they won’t qualify for the playoffs this year. Also, I’m sure the Mets can outbid any other team (given Cohen’s deep pockets) and sign Ohtani in the offseason if they want to. No need to give up players for him. 

Lastly, I don’t believe that they have “multiple top 100” prospects in their system left to give up in a trade.

7 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Is there anyone on Oakland's team that we might be interested in?

Nope. What made you pick Oakland as a team to look at? I’m sure that you know this already, but they have the worst team in MLB (even worse than KC). They have very little in the way of talent.

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

I’m not sure why Cohen will be telling his GM to trade anything for Ohtani. The Mets have been scuffling all season and there’s a good chance that they won’t qualify for the playoffs this year. Also, I’m sure the Mets can outbid any other team (given Cohen’s deep pockets) and sign Ohtani in the offseason if they want to. No need to give up players for him. 

Lastly, I don’t believe that they have “multiple top 100” prospects in their system left to give up in a trade.

They could offer to take the Rendon contract.  That'd be worth a top 100 prospect.

Nope. What made you pick Oakland as a team to look at? I’m sure that you know this already, but they have the worst team in MLB (even worse than KC). They have very little in the way of talent.

Well, it's one team we can be pretty certain is selling. :)

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

They could offer to take the Rendon contract.  That'd be worth a top 100 prospect.

They can have Ohtani in the off-season if they want. Cohen has more money than any other owner.

They most likely won’t be in it this year and don’t have many more prospects to trade away. They already brought their top 2 to the bigs this year.

Just now, Bahama O's Fan said:

Well, it's one team we can be pretty certain is selling. :)

Problem is they have nothing to sell. That’s why their record is so poorest. 

KC has Perez who they probably won’t trade and Chapman. Beyond that they don’t have much either. 

The problem this year - is that the really bad teams don’t have many good players AND the Central divisions are so bad that just about all the teams are still in it.

They can have Ohtani in the off-season if they want. Cohen has more money than any other owner.

They most likely won’t be in it this year and don’t have many more prospects to trade away. They already brought their top 2 to the bigs this year.

I don't actually think they can have Ohtani in the off-season if they want.

They can have Ohtani if Ohtani wants.

After the way he joined the league I can see him taking less money to play where he wants to play.

I also wasn't being serious about taking on that bad contract.  But if someone would...that would be pretty valuable.

2 hours ago, clapdiddy said:

Do we have a reliever in the system currently who could be of value for the stretch run?

I think a number of potential contributors....

Nick Vespi

Eduard Bazardo

Pheonix Sanders

Darwinzon Hernandez

Reed Garrett

In AA Bowie...

Easton Lucas

Jensen Elliott

Conor Gillispie - (I'm interested to see if Connor Gillespie pans out based on a finite sample size with the 1 game I witnessed him pitch 4 shutout innings (5th-9th) to get a win against the Harrisburg Senators. He was very good that night and his season stats seem to suggest the potential is there too.)

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Problem is they have nothing to sell. That’s why their record is so poorest. 

KC has Perez who they probably won’t trade and Chapman. Beyond that they don’t have much either. 

The problem this year - is that the really bad teams don’t have many good players AND the Central divisions are so bad that just about all the teams are still in it.

I would definitely try to trade for both of them. Perez and Adley can split catcher and DH and some people say Adley might drift to 1B later on to extend his career. Well, he can learn now. 

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't actually think they can have Ohtani in the off-season if they want.

They can have Ohtani if Ohtani wants.

After the way he joined the league I can see him taking less money to play where he wants to play.

I also wasn't being serious about taking on that bad contract.  But if someone would...that would be pretty valuable.

Well according to Bowden and Duquette (for whatever that is worth) the Mets have had their eye on Ohtani since last year. They can most certainly offer the most money, but you are right it will be up to Ohtani to decide where he wants to play.

Personally I don’t care as I’m very confident that he will never be an O.

1 minute ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I would definitely try to trade for both of them. Perez and Adley can split catcher and DH and some people say Adley might drift to 1B later on to extend his career. Well, he can learn now. 

No. There will be no Adley splitting catcher with anyone. He’s in his 2nd year so we don’t need to worry about him trying other positions to extend his career right now. 

Chapman on the other hand would be a good 6/7th inning guy.

Well according to Bowden and Duquette (for whatever that is worth) the Mets have had their eye on Ohtani since last year. They can most certainly offer the most money, but you are right it will be up to Ohtani to decide where he wants to play.

The fact they went out and recruited Kodai Senga lends some validity to that idea. You would think that have another pitcher who came from Japan might be a comfortable/attractive location for someone (Ohtani) who has gone through that same (relatable) type of journey.