Who would you be willing to deal to get a controllable ToR like Gilbert, Cease or Keller?

Greg Pappas

2 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

That would be fleecing, at least on the surface.  Sometimes a trade looks one-sided but turns out differently later on (see Cano). :)

Agreed.  Beavers has a ton of upside and I could see a team really liking him.  The Orioles have Fabian though who is similar and you have to give a team some hope. Stowers could also be a nice power hitting outfielder but is obviously blocked unless you don't believe in Cower.  

The thing I like about the possibility of dealing with SEA or PIT (as compared to CWS, for the most part, though I’m a Bummer fan) is that you could hedge some bets by also targeting a high-end reliever like Brash or Bednar as part of the deal.

It would increase the cost, perhaps substantially in the case of Bednar, but you’d also be significantly raising the floor of the deal. Betting big on nothing but one young SP arm feels like a risky proposition. I’d be much more comfortable giving up a blue-chipper as a headliner if I was getting multiple pieces in return.