Wednesday, August 9: Orioles try to bounce back after tough loss to Astros

SteveA

4 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

It just wasn’t necessary to take the risk of going cheap IMO, not with a team this good.

The difference in this series is the 2 teams bullpens. 

It's interesting to me that you're watching this series and still call them "this good." Do you really think Houston is going to lose four games out of seven to us? Atlanta/LA?

1 minute ago, Alasdaire said:

I thought Fuji needed to be put in situations where he wasn't as likely to fail which includes clean innings . But that's because I've had my doubts about Fuji from the very first pitch he telegraphed to Siri in Tampa for a homer, so I was trying to come up with any way to try to make the situation work. He's his own worst enemy and the psyche is pretty clearly fragile.

I don't think it much matters either way though, he has too much to correct to be reliable within the next two months.

No command.

And I try not to presume who's mentally tough and who isn't.  But it's clear that he's got the deer in headlights look.

1 minute ago, accinfo said:

At least Tampa lost.  I know logically it has nothing to do with the play on the field but this Kevin Brown stuff is a bad cloud over this team.  

In reality we all know the KB stuff has nothing to do with this but the baseball gods are funny that way

• Upvote 1

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

No command.

And I try not to presume who's mentally tough and who isn't.  But it's clear that he's got the deer in headlights look.

I kind of want to go back and see where the catchers are setting up. Because sometimes it seems like he's not wild so much as he just has a terrible approach. He dotted the zone a few times this inning and then proceeded to throw fastball after fastball off the plate that hitters weren't remotely fooled by. It's like he wanted that pitch even though it clearly wasn't working. Maybe connected to the psyche/mental aspect, but you're right it's not totally fair to ascribe that as we can't know.

4 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I don’t understand why we chose that option though. Like other than going cheap or thinking that we were the smartest guys in the room, what was the rationale?

The Tigers had legit chances to win the WS and refused to get anyone else to help or upgrade Valverde. It’s all they needed - makes no sense to me that the Os would decide to make the same decision.

They need to get McDermott or Povich up here and hope like hell they get something out of Means or Hall.

1 minute ago, Alasdaire said:

It's interesting to me that you're watching this series and still call them "this good." Do you really think Houston is going to lose four games out of seven to us? Atlanta/LA?

We had an opportunity to make the necessary improvements and decided to pass that up, especially with the bullpen.

That is the biggest (gapping) hole in our team and the difference between those other teams and ours. It has been clear as day for any/all to see, yet the thought was Fujinama is all we need. I didn’t get it then and don’t get it now?

I think Elias has internal reports on Means and DJ and he expects them to be available by September and figured he didnt want to spend the prospect fee to get better arms.  I think we can limp along till they are here.  

And Sig likes his guys.  

6 minutes ago, O's84 said:

I find it alarming that the bullpen, which is clearly a weakness, that the guy we got to help it has to have hit confidence built and can't be put in high leverage situations.  

He’s not the BP addition. The BP additions are Wells, Hall, Means (or another starter going to the pen), and maybe McDermott or Povich