8/15: McCann Tops 50 MPH In Loss

cboemmeljr

The last few times we had a position player pitch, the pitcher didn't really throw the ball very hard.  I wonder if they basically told him to lob it in.  McCann's average velo on throws to 2nd is like 82 mph.

Edited by Hallas

30 minutes ago, Hallas said:

The last few times we had a position player pitch, the pitcher didn't really throw the ball very hard.  I wonder if they basically told him to lob it in.  McCann's average velo on throws to 2nd is like 82 mph.

Probably. I noticed the hitters were rolling over on top of the baseball when they were hitting it, causing chopper ground balls to go right to 3rd base and shortstop. Lobbing it in at such a slow speed gave it the shape of a dropping curve-ball and MLB hitters are more used to facing flame throwing heat seeking fast ball pitchers, so the Padres were trying to drive it and not expecting the ball to drop as far as it was. Thus, the bat was hitting the top quadrant of the baseball.

2 hours ago, Hallas said:

Because MLB batters are used to seeing 80 mph pitches.

When you throw them a 50 mph eephus, it throw off their timing.

Quick question for those with a lot more knowledge than me....

Why don't Pitching Coordinators/coaches teach fireballs pitchers an EEPHUS pitch? It was really effective for Levan Hernand3z back in the day, and he wasn't a fireballs pitcher. 

Say a Pitcher like Grayson, who can throw up to 100mph, would occasionally throw a 55mph EEPHUS pitch, wouldn't that make his fastball play up faster?

4 hours ago, Morgan423 said:

We ought to bring in Stevie Wilkerson as a consultant and have him teach two or three of our bench position players to throw that weird knuckle-floatcurve thing he did.  That thing was ridiculous 😆

I'd like to play a rec league game and give that pitch a try myself. Lol