Tuesday, August 22: Orioles try to bury the Blue Jays and make it a 2-team division race

SteveA

1 minute ago, Malike said:

I'm saying that no team has a bench full of regulars. I mean, if you want to say they could start on the A's or the Royals, sure.

Ah, some unwritten rule of baseball that the backups have to be low quality and couldn't possibly start for anyone else other than the AAAA MLB teams.  I mean it's NEVER happened that a utility guy was simply blocked behind more talented players and could actually go someone where he isn't blocked and became a solid starter on a good team.

Listen, I'm not looking to fight about this.  Our overall talent level, top to bottom, is getting better as we are slowly moving away from some of the reclamation projects/borderline MLBers (Odor, Chirinos from last year, Travis Lakins, Severino, Ruiz etc before) and replacing them with younger, more talented, more consistent players.  Mateo (and McKenna, Frazier, HIcks, etc) should be replaced with better players as time goes by, some hopefully quicker than others.  It's not JUST a knock against those players, but a recognition that the overall talent level of the organization is trending upwards and someone has to go to make room for the more talented guys.