I dont know how far this team goes in 2023....but I know this..

Roy Firestone

I don't remember 83, so my first real memories start right around 0-21 and then "Why Not." Fast forward to the Davey era in the 90's and eventually to Buck's era. All were really fun, just like this one. 

What I think will eventually set this apart is the staying power. See this tweet, which I I think has some truth to it (though we've certainly seen some of that potential realized already). This might be the closest this organization ever gets to repeating the Brooks years.

This team is really exciting. I never turn off the games early anymore out of frustration because the O's are just such a clutch team. The pressure hasn't been too much for them yet.

I haven't been here on the site that long but I didn't even know you were the real Roy Firestone. I thought it was just someone using the handle 😂

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Jagwar said:

@Roy Firestone, you're so much more optimistic outside the game threads. 😉

The competitive window is wide open. Really hoping that Elias is able to add top notch pitching in the offseason.  

Unlike the Orioles, he gives up.😂 I wonder how many games this season he has declared as losses in game thread that they won.

53 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

I transferred my fandom to the Orioles in 1954 and have not regretted it, though I must say they totally tested it many times over the years.   Just stay healthy, keep loving each other, and never be  NOT HUNGRY.    That is the formula for a Winner.                 

I have a signed baseball from the 1954 team...its one of my treasured momentos...and NO, I wasnt old to enough to have watched that team...

23 minutes ago, Spakman said:

Unlike the Orioles, he gives up.😂 I wonder how many games this season he has declared as losses in game thread that they won.

its ME trying to work my reverse jinx...and occasionally when its like 12-2 in the 4th inning I give up because its better for my mental health...Im sure im not the only one..

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

I transferred my fandom to the Orioles in 1954 and have not regretted it, though I must say they totally tested it many times over the years.   Just stay healthy, keep loving each other, and never be  NOT HUNGRY.    That is the formula for a Winner.                 

I've been on OH for at least 13 years...its me..and trust me, Im no big deal...

38 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I have a signed baseball from the 1954 team...its one of my treasured momentos...and NO, I wasnt old to enough to have watched that team...

Congrats on the signed baseball.  My son was given a signed ball by Earl and the members of the team, way back when.  Those moments last a lifetime.  

I agree Roy. I said this in the game thread last night. I can't think of a more fun Orioles team in all the years I've watched Orioles baseball.

Sure, the 1983 team was fun because it won so much, but the hitting was never really that good overall and the talent besides Cal was on the older side where you knew this was the end of the window (Well I was 13 and didn't understand windows but when you look back you can see it). 

This team hasn't even really hit it's window yet here they are!  

• Upvote 1

My first favorite Orioles were Chuck Diering and Clint ( Scrap Iron) Courtney. The latter because I was a catcher in Little League at the time and the former, the first in a long line of great defensive outfielders.. That was 1954. Damn near 70 years ago. Crap, I'm goin back to my nap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

They're both me. But in game threads, I'm often in a fetal position and get aggravated easily . Sometimes I'm trying to use my "reverse jinx" in my negativity. But it's not REALLY a negative 'hate'...its frustration. Look, I was an Oriole batboy as a kid. Players on those great teams are still my lifetime friends. Brooks Robinson is still my childhood hero and he never let me down as a person...The Orioles organization is like family to me. It's not enough to say I bleed orange and black..for whatever people think of my cynicism on threads...there is DEEP love in a way I cant describe. My house is an Oriole shrine with memorabilia and momentos..It's my number one passion in sports. I dont want to change. Women in my life have either been disgusted and leave...and the ones who stay are or become Oriole fans with me.I cant help it. And I dont want anyone to "fix" it.

Roy's definitely one of my favorites here at OH, a very gifted writer among his many other talents.

Speaking of women in my life...This afternoon, my wife is upstairs watching TV, yelling, "Oh no they're blowing it, it's 6-5, they gave up a HR."

She had me questioning, "Say what, since when do they play a Tuesday afternoon game?"  

Of course, she didn't realize she was watching a replay of last night.  :D

This team has her interest for the first time in several years.  She is a jinx when she goes with us to the game, which is only once per season.  On his own, my son is 6-0 so far this season in the games when mom is at home.

Edited by TonySoprano
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

My first favorite Orioles were Chuck Diering and Clint ( Scrap Iron) Courtney. The latter because I was a catcher in Little League at the time and the former, the first in a long line of great defensive outfielders.. That was 1954. Damn near 70 years ago. Crap, I'm goin back to my nap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As an 11 year old in 1954,  I cried ponderous tears as I Listened on the radio as Bob Turley pitched in the 9th inning. The O's were winning 1 to 0--- two outs and Cleveland had no hits. I believe it was Al Rosen who got the first hit and then Larry Doby homered. I was crushed.

• Upvote 1