Looper a Brewer, one year deal with option

O's are Legends

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We would have had to guarantee the 2nd year, at least, in order for him to sign here.

Obviously that would have been a terrible decision for us to make. I'm glad MacPhail stuck to the right move rather than cave in and give a second year because "what's the worst that could happen?"

Smart move by MacPhail. Can't really give him credit for not signing somebody, but I'm glad he didn't do something stupid like give Looper a guaranteed deal in 2010.

They should sign the best available FA pitcher that will accept a 1-year deal. The dollar amount isn't terribly important to me, but my guess is the cream of the 1-year deal crop will probably get about $4-6M.

The same deal we had on the table...
Thanks bb. I'm curious to learn what your personal opinion is on this one. Should Andy have countered with a higher 1st-year base to try to compensate for Looper's obvious preference to stay in the NL? Or do you think he drew the line at the right place in the sand? (I'm not sure what my answer would be, BTW.)

We would have had to guarantee the 2nd year, at least, in order for him to sign here.

Obviously that would have been a terrible decision for us to make. I'm glad MacPhail stuck to the right move rather than cave in and give a second year because "what's the worst that could happen?"

Smart move by MacPhail. Can't really give him credit for not signing somebody, but I'm glad he didn't do something stupid like give Looper a guaranteed deal in 2010.

They should sign the best available FA pitcher that will accept a 1-year deal. The dollar amount isn't terribly important to me, but my guess is the cream of the 1-year deal crop will probably get about $4-6M.

Who are you suggesting. I am not sure there is anyone worth signing left.

Who are you suggesting. I am not sure there is anyone worth signing left.
Yup. Looper was the last ship in the harbor, it seems. Next step on the pitcher acquisition front, I would think, is to stay on the lookout for the next Guthrie type whom some team tries to sneak through late in Spring training. That will be a far better bet than trying to lure a Byrd type to un-retire or some such thing.

The same deal we had on the table...

If that's the case, that's a solid offer from us, and he simply choose the better destination for himself. I would have been willing to make a slightly stronger offer, but this is not a big deal.

Thanks bb. I'm curious to learn what your personal opinion is on this one. Should Andy have countered with a higher 1st-year base to try to compensate for Looper's obvious preference to stay in the NL? Or do you think he drew the line at the right place in the sand? (I'm not sure what my answer would be, BTW.)

I think we need another starter form somewhere. We have Guthrie and an "inventory" full of question marks. Fixing the rotation was a top priority and we may not be any better than 2008.

Here is whats left..per MLBTR.

Kris Benson (33)

Paul Byrd (38) - Type B, offered arb

Tom Glavine (43)

Livan Hernandez (34)

Orlando Hernandez (43)

Chuck James (27)

Jon Lieber (39)

Rodrigo Lopez (33)

Pedro Martinez (37)

Mark Mulder (31)

Sidney Ponson (32)