Rodrigo Lopez (33)

Pedro Martinez (37)

Mark Mulder (31)

Sidney Ponson (32)

Kenny Rogers (44)

Curt Schilling (42)

Ben Sheets (30) - Type A, offered arb

Kip Wells (32)

Ponson is only 32?!?!? It seems like he has been around for more than that (NO, I am not saying anything about even thinking about thinking about signing him) Got to admit though - PA should give his agent a call..:laughlol:

I was OK with Looper coming to Baltimore if that had been how it worked out...I guess.

In all honesty though, I'm wiping my brow, sighing "whew" and wishing him happy trails in Milwaukee.

Maybe it's because I saw him too many times pouring gasoline on fires as a Timlin-esque Mets closer, but Looper's never struck me as a pitcher I'd actually desire to have on my team.

Not having him is certainly nothing to get upset about.

The big issue is Looper will give you a solid 6-7 innings every start. We currently have no one to do that except Guthrie. The bullpen will be beat up once again.

This is my concern. The bullpen can only pitch so many innings. When this year is over, MacPhail either will be vindicated or deservedly pilloried for going into a season with one proven starter.

Ponson is only 32?!?!? It seems like he has been around for more than that (NO, I am not saying anything about even thinking about thinking about signing him) Got to admit though - PA should give his agent a call..:laughlol:
I think this is one of those deals where the odometer went around and is now on round 2.

This is my concern. The bullpen can only pitch so many innings. When this year is over, MacPhail either will be vindicated or deservedly pilloried for going into a season with one proven starter.

Part of the plan is likely the idea that Matusz, Arrieta, Tillman, Patton, et al could and should have a chance to be in the rotation by August.

I think people forget the idea that they really just needed a stop gap for a few months.

AM shouldn't ever be bashed because he didn't give out a foolish contract.

But the fact is, Looper himslef wouldn't have changed this much, IMO.

The effectiveness of the starting rotation this year is going to depend on how Koji adjusts to the ML, how Hill rebounds, and who out of the Penn/Pauley/Liz/ cluster steps up. Looper wouldn't have really changed any of this.

Part of the plan is likely the idea that Matusz, Arrieta, Tillman, Patton, et al could and should have a chance to be in the rotation by August.

I think people forget the idea that they really just needed a stop gap for a few months.

Correct. The point of this first half of the season is development and analysis of talent. On the big league front, we get to see guys like Hill and Pie and see if they live up to their prospect potential. We also will see what major league pitchers can be successful for this club.

It's the same thing in the minors. Development. Development. Development. Analyze Wieters, Matusz, Arrieta, Tillman, Patton, Albers, and even the lower, or a little bit off-the-radar guys.

It may be a long season, it may not be. Time will tell. This season looks more toward the future than everything else.

And right now, I'm OK with that.

That may be your plan but I highly doubt it's part of AM's plan, We might see Patton, or Bergeson or maybe Hernandez, If any of the big three are up at all,

it won't be until Sept. IMO.

But the fact is, Looper himslef wouldn't have changed this much, IMO.

The effectiveness of the starting rotation this year is going to depend on how Koji adjusts to the ML, how Hill rebounds, and who out of the Penn/Pauley/Liz/ cluster steps up. Looper wouldn't have really changed any of this.

None of Koji, Liz, Pauley, Penn, etc. wll come close to 180 innings no matter how well they do.

50 games + you bullpen?????

I was all for signing Looper before it was obvious that he wanted no parts of Baltimore or the AL East. He's a guy that the Orioles could most likely count on to get the job done.

However, to say that Braden Looper is the guy that would prevent what you said from happening is a little much. He's not THAT good.

To think that a Braden Looper signing could make or break the '09 season is a sad thought.

You seem to be pretty optimistic about Matusz, Arrieta and Tillman. Seem's just as likely that none of them will be brought up this year. Whats the rush?

Looper was surprisingly not horrendous for a failed closer turning into a starting pitcher in his 30's.

However, he didn't even average six innings per start in his two years with the Cardinals, and I fail to see how bringing him to the AL to face stacked lineups with DH's instead of pitchers was going to do anything but get him out of games earlier.

Archived