Looper a Brewer, one year deal with option

O's are Legends

As of today, I'm not sure how we're going to get by with a 12-man staff. Hopefully some guys will step up in spring training.

I really wanted Looper because I really think the bullpen will need another stable presence in the rotation. Now, we just have to hope that Pauley, Liz, Penn, Hendrickson, Uehara, Hill, Guthrie and whatever other characters we put in the rotation can get through the line-up twice.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just got finished drinking a big 'ole glass of Orange Koolaid and just wanted to remind everyone that pitchers and catchers report this weekend. Its not snowing here and a new season, one where there is a ton of intrigue because of all the uncertainty and new faces around is about to begin. Everyone just needs to take a breath and chill. We are freaking out over the loss of friggin Braden Looper. AM has made me care about the O's from his moves this offseason. I am excited to see what happens. Will we fall on our faces again? Maybe, but its not like any of us are expecting Huff or Markakis to be hoisting the World Series Trophy this OCT/NOV. I agree that if every new guy we bring in stinks up the joint, it will be a long summer... but I cant see everyone sucking, a few will have to surprise. I dont think that anyone can dispute that the general plan that AM has been implementing is A) the right direction and B) much different than what got us into a decade of losing. Some might not like a signing here or a non-signing there but overall, you gotta give AM his due. I would like to thank AM for making me care about baseball again. I just want to see players who play hard and do the right things fundamentally. If we lose every game, then so be it. Not trying to tick anybody off, just wanted to relay what I feel are the positives in this situation.:)

No one is friggin'. Just giving my thoughts on where the non-signing of Looper puts the O's. The rotation is very iffy.

I like a lot of MacPhail's out season moves:

Long Term

Signing Nick

Trading for Pie

Taking a chance on Hill

Trade for Pauley

Short Term

Signing Izturis

Hopefully signing Wiggy

Signing for Zaun

A move that will effect the long term plan is what happens to BRob. That is yet to come. Hopefully.

MacPhail has a Plan and is executing it. I will stick to my "C" grade for the off this season until we know what happens to BRob. It is a big swinger for the future of the franchise.

I think you are a little too optimistic on Looper and I wouldn't be surprised if he comes up with an injury this year either.

I don't see that there is any more reason to believe Looper will be injured then any other guy who throws the ball overhanded off the mound.

As of today, I'm not sure how we're going to get by with a 12-man staff. Hopefully some guys will step up in spring training.

I really wanted Looper because I really think the bullpen will need another stable presence in the rotation. Now, we just have to hope that Pauley, Liz, Penn, Hendrickson, Uehara, Hill, Guthrie and whatever other characters we put in the rotation can get through the line-up twice.

I still think they'll be able to go with a 12 man staff with at least two guys who can go multiple to long innings in the bullpen: Hendrickson; Sarfate; Pauley; Penn; Albers. Basically, if they can reserve two spots for the guys who are in competition for the rotation as long men/spot starters, imo, they can still go with 12.

They almost have to with the addition of Wigginton.

I still think they'll be able to go with a 12 man staff with at least two guys who can go multiple to long innings in the bullpen: Hendrickson; Sarfate; Pauley; Penn; Albers. Basically, if they can reserve two spots for the guys who are in competition for the rotation as long men/spot starters, imo, they can still go with 12.

They almost have to with the addition of Wigginton.

I don't think Gomez starts the year in the majors.

I don't see that there is any more reason to believe Looper will be injured then any other guy who throws the ball overhanded off the mound.

Well, this wil only be his third year as a starter...He is going to be 35...Wouldn't shock me to see him develop some wear and tear on his arm as he gets into the season.

Not saying it is some reason not to sign him but anytime you are dealing with an older pitcher, you have to worry somewhat.

End of the day, he just isn't good and you can't rely on 200 innings from him just because he has gotten close to it in the NL. Less effective in the AL means he will be taken out of games sooner, which means less IP.

I don't think Gomez starts the year in the majors.

So you think they go into the season without some one who can give Izturis a day off? Whether that be Gomez, J Cabrera, Murphy, or any other IFer that gets signed to a 1-year deal, I believe they'll have a roster spot for one of those guys.

Well, this wil only be his third year as a starter...He is going to be 35...Wouldn't shock me to see him develop some wear and tear on his arm as he gets into the season.

Not saying it is some reason not to sign him but anytime you are dealing with an older pitcher, you have to worry somewhat.

End of the day, he just isn't good and you can't rely on 200 innings from him just because he has gotten close to it in the NL. Less effective in the AL means he will be taken out of games sooner, which means less IP.

I'm not a Looper proponent by any means, but one could easily make the counter arguement that his innings were limited in the NL because he was lifted earlier in games for a PH.

So you think they go into the season without some one who can give Izturis a day off? Whether that be Gomez, J Cabrera, Murphy, or any other IFer that gets signed to a 1-year deal, I believe they'll have a roster spot for one of those guys.

It seems clear to me that MacPhail is focused on the long term even if it hurts the short term. I believe there is a good chance they will use the best of Wiggy or Freel to backup Izturis at SS. If the choice is hanging on to a pitcher that is out of options while going with 13 pitchers or keeping Gomez for 50 at bats to backup SS, I think they keep the exact pitcher at least to start the season.

Well, that is an opinion. I see no basis in history to think he gets hurt any more then any other pitcher. He probably does not do as well as last year with the switch to the AL East. But he would probably do better then most of the candidates for starters on the team.

It seems clear to me that MacPhail is focused on the long term even if it hurts the short term. I believe there is a good chance they will use the best of Wiggy or Freel to backup Izturis at SS. If the choice is hanging on to a pitcher that is out of options while going with 13 pitchers or keeping Gomez for 50 at bats to backup SS, I think they keep the exact pitcher at least to start the season.

I agree with this line of thinking, but I'd be surprised if they don't have a spot for a backup SS on opening day. I don't believe Freel or Wigginton have logged an inning in the ML at SS. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Here are 12 pitchers that have a chance to make the Opening Day staff. Are there any other guys who are out of options? I have Baez and Walker on there to show that the team wouldn't have to eat salary. The main guy I have a question about is Albers. Does he have options and do they plan on him being healthy enough for OD?

Guthrie

Uehara

Hill

Pauley

Penn

Hendrickson

Walker

Sarfate

Baez

Johnson

Ray

Sherrill

There's clearly a case against Looper, but there's a case against anyone we're looking to fill the spot as an innings eater. It doesn't matter now though. We just have to hope that 1 or 2 guys step up and provide some consistent innings.

Who knows...maybe Bergesen or Patton can pull it off. Strike throwing pitchers seem more likely to do so then guys like Liz, IMO.

Archived