2023/2024 Managerial Changes

SteveA

Nope, one has not officially happened yet, but I thought I'd start the thread as a placeholder.   Quite often these announcements get made the last week of the season; if they don't then a week from today is when the ax would most likely fall.

I can't remember the last year we have gotten this far in the season without an in-season manager firing.   That's very rare.   But right now the same 30 guys that started the season are still managing their teams.

It's expected that Francona will call it quits in Cleveland for health reasons.    

Both New York managers might be on the hot seat.

If this Houston collapse continues to the point where they miss the playoffs, it wouldn't surprise me if the Astros make a change.

I'm sure there are others as well...

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

That 107-55 team from 2021 had to be one of the flukiest teams of all time.  The were under .500 the four previous seasons and they haven’t been over .500 in the two years since.   

Among other things, Brandon Crawford had a career .895 OPS at 34. Tomorrow is likely his last game.

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Buck ends up about one year shy of Davey Johnson on the interval between Manager of the Year and being let go.

I'm afraid this might be it for him, still without a dogpile.

Well, he is at retirement age.  Maybe he decides to kick back and put his feet up for a while

5 hours ago, Morgan423 said:

Well, he is at retirement age.  Maybe he decides to kick back and put his feet up for a while

If he wants to keep going, I bet he can land a job. The old boy club still lives, plus  manager has become even more of a retirement gig than it ever was. Wake up early, read the extended box score, talk to folks, tell some youngsters what is up, take a nap, fill out the lineup, eat dinner, yell at people, gab with folks, go to bed.