Olson talks to shrinks and wishes he was a Cub

Gurgi

A "shrink" is usually referred to as a psychiatrist. They treat mental disorders, are medical doctors and can prescribe medications. A psychologist investigates the physical, cognitive, emotional, or social aspects of the human mind and behavior. Garrett is seeing a sports psychologist. They specialize in the psychological and mental factors that influence and are influenced by participation and performance in sport. Many athletes see sports psychologists. They help athletes with visualization and other techniques so they can perform at their peak. I would not be surprised if a number of the O's have someone they see on occasion.

Perhaps Garrett does realize he has a "dream job". Perhaps he wants to talk to someone about the pressures of performing well so he keeps that job for a nice long career. Nothing wrong with that. It must be frustrating to be good enough to make the majors but not good enough (yet) to establish yourself as a regular, especially when you've had nothing but success at every other level.

Oh, and who wouldn't be disappointed at getting traded from a last place team to a first place team and then getting dealt again to another last place team a week later? That sucks.

I tell you...this story just reminds me of how baseball players compared to the other sports are the biggest prima-donnas.

Garrett...but you are 25 years old, playing a kid's sport, and making pretty decent cash. You have potentially 10 more years left in the majors especially since you are a lefty.

Sorry to hear your major problems and needing to go see a shrink. :rolleyes:

He's seeing a sports psychologist, because a lot of throwing a baseball at the MLB level is psychological.

Olson seems like such a good guy. I hope he cracks that rotation along with Bedard and does well.

This.

Given the Cubs' win now push and the rabid, loyal fans at Wrigley, who wouldn't want to play for the Cubs right now? Looking at who ended up where last season, Seattle was horrid. But, as with other things in life, sometimes we aren't given choices.

Oh, and who wouldn't be disappointed at getting traded from a last place team to a first place team and then getting dealt again to another last place team a week later? That sucks.

No doubt but they are a first placed team because they already have good players. Olson has a better chance of seeing playing time with the crappy teams. He should be happy about his situation to a certain degree.

Archived