Possible trade for Carson Whisenhunt

OriolesMagic83

I was hoping the O's would snag Whisenhunt, who was one of the top college pitchers who was healthy, in the 2022 draft, especially after he dropped.  He was drafted by the Giants in the 2nd round.  He pitched in low A, high A and AA this year. His record was only 1-1 as SF Giants severely limit pitching prospects' innings even more than the O's.  He had a 2.45 ERA and 83 Ks in 58.2 innings.  I would say he is more a 2025 addition to the starting rotation that 2024.  He was 76th rated prospect on MLB.com's midseason update.

mlb.com Scouting grades: Fastball: 55 | Curveball: 50 | Changeup: 70 | Control: 50 | Overall: 55

Trades
8:22
Do you see a Whisenhunt led package being able to Giants a young infield impact bat like Coby Mayo, Nolan Gorman, Encarnación-Strand, Noelvi Marte, Matt McLain, etc?

Whisenhunt recently added some speed to his fastball to get it in the 94-97 range that when added to his plus plus changeup makes him a good starting pitching prospect.  Mayo would be way too much to give up for him, but I would definitely consider a trade for Norby and maybe 1 other prospect. 

Like Harrison, Whisenhunt was selected to represent the Giants in this year's Futures Game, a showcase for the game's best prospects. In a scoreless relief inning, he showed off the pitch that has him on the fast track. Whisenhunt's changeup is a "plus-plus" pitch per scouts, and he used it to strike out a pair, including Jackson Holiday, widely considered the No. 1 prospect in the minors. 
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:
Mayo would be way too much to give up for him, but I would definitely consider a trade for Norby and maybe 1 other prospect. 

Nice post. I think he'd definitely be a good target, but expect the O's won't go near what they'd want. You can't jump from Mayo to Norby in what you're offering. Norby would have to be the 2nd or 3rd guy in a deal like this.

I think the O's cling to Holliday, Mayo and Basallo, but everyone else is available. I don't think it really makes sense to include a McDermott or Povich in such a deal. I'd honestly think a deal with Cowser could make sense (if they're looking for a bat). Especially if a second piece like Norby or Seth Johnson is included. But these prospect for prospect deals are really hard to make happen.

Would SF have interest in Santander or Hays? No idea, but that, plus some prospects, would probably be more workable.

Only thing I'd say is our prospect for prospect offerings could include a bunch of guys (Cowser, Ortiz, Stowers, Mayo, Norby) that could be considered plug and play major leaguers by the receiving team. In that sense, it's not your typical AA arm for two A level players type of deal.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Only thing I'd say is our prospect for prospect offerings could include a bunch of guys (Cowser, Ortiz, Stowers, Mayo, Norby) that could be considered plug and play major leaguers by the receiving team. In that sense, it's not your typical AA arm for two A level players type of deal.

The O's almost need to do a prospect or two trade this offseason or risk mlb ready prospects just sitting in Norfolk and gradually losing value.  I think most of the upgrades the O's are likely to make this offseason will be by trade, as the O's are not likely to sign any free agents to lengthy contracts.  I've gotten my hopes up that the O's will sign a top free agent or two, only to have them dashed.  Now I'm in show me mode.

22 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Prospect for prospect trades are quite rare as you would just be robbing Peter to pay Paul on both sides. On our side, I would prefer to lose lower rates prospects than May on exchange for an established vet, even if it is for just 2-3years.

How is it robbing Peter to pay Paul if both teams are trading from depth in one area to address a need in another?     

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

How is it robbing Peter to pay Paul if both teams are trading from depth in one area to address a need in another?     

Your absolutely correct. In Norby's case, in ANY other system, he would be the "next great prospect up". Here, he is blocked multiple times over and should not be in our organization next season. Not saying he won't be, but he shouldn't be, for him or us.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

I suppose it is theoretically possible to find a win-win, but these guys are commodities that can be exchanged for WAR in numerous ways at any time. Also with prospects you don't know exactly what you're going to need 3-6 years into the future. It is much more likely to find a mutually beneficial deal when trading from a contender to a rebuilding team. Can you think of any comparable deal where two top prospects were traded for each other? 

5 minutes ago, E-D-D-I-E said:

Your absolutely correct. In Norby's case, in ANY other system, he would be the "next great prospect up". Here, he is blocked multiple times over and should not be in our organization next season. Not saying he won't be, but he shouldn't be, for him or us.

But wouldn't he be a great fit for a rebuilding team? And wouldn't that team prefer to trade a veteran MLB piece? 

19 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I suppose it is theoretically possible to find a win-win, but these guys are commodities that can be exchanged for WAR in numerous ways at any time. Also with prospects you don't know exactly what you're going to need 3-6 years into the future. It is much more likely to find a mutually beneficial deal when trading from a contender to a rebuilding team. Can you think of any comparable deal where two top prospects were traded for each other? 

Caminero was signed by Cleveland out of the Dominican Republic in 2019, and at 17, he burst onto the scene in 2021 with a .295/.380/.534 with nine home runs and 33 RBI in 171 plate appearances in the Dominican Summer League.

Though it's hard to know how a 17-year-old will ultimately develop, it was a promising first professional season for Caminero. And then, in 2022, the Guardians traded him to Tampa Bay for Tobias Myers, a former sixth-round pick of the Orioles who had a combined 3.90 ERA between Double-A and Triple-A in 2021. He had a ton of strikeout potential; he just couldn't put it all together at the higher levels of the minor leagues and has sinced bounced around to a number of other organizations.

16 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Caminero was signed by Cleveland out of the Dominican Republic in 2019, and at 17, he burst onto the scene in 2021 with a .295/.380/.534 with nine home runs and 33 RBI in 171 plate appearances in the Dominican Summer League.

Though it's hard to know how a 17-year-old will ultimately develop, it was a promising first professional season for Caminero. And then, in 2022, the Guardians traded him to Tampa Bay for Tobias Myers, a former sixth-round pick of the Orioles who had a combined 3.90 ERA between Double-A and Triple-A in 2021. He had a ton of strikeout potential; he just couldn't put it all together at the higher levels of the minor leagues and has sinced bounced around to a number of other organizations.

I know a lot of people here were against the Myers trade, thinking he could develop into a future mler.  I don't think anyone predicted the Rays would use him to acquire a future top 5 prospect.

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I know a lot of people here were against the Myers trade, thinking he could develop into a future mler.  I don't think anyone predicted the Rays would use him to acquire a future top 5 prospect.

The Rays have made some amazing trades.

27 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Was Caminero regarded as a high prospect comparable to Whisenhunt? I still say this is an exception that proves the rule. Good find though.

26 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Was Caminero regarded as a high prospect comparable to Whisenhunt? I still say this is an exception that proves the rule. Good find though.

There aren’t many prospect for prospect trades but there have been others.  I guess I have homework to find others.