Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

48 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Looking at this deal for a pure value standpoint is where people are screwing up.

First of all, you never know how a prospect will or will not develop. Lots of trades look crazy at the time but then end up nothing because the players fail.

But more than that, the Os need to bring in more upper echelon/high ceiling pitching and this is how it’s going to happen.

They just aren’t going to spend the money needed. So, this is it. You have to trade for it and considering the way the org is set up and considering how everyone here should be confident that Elias can replace guys, we should feel good about replacing these guys long term too.

Cease is also likely to be worth a QO after 2025, so you are going to add a top 40 pick for him as well.

The Orioles can't possibly play everyone either.  Ortiz will be 26 this season.  Stowers and Norby are all but forgotten.  There are more prospects coming behind the top guys we all keep talking about.  And Elias has three picks in the Top ~40 this year.  If the O's aren't going to draft pitching, and they sure as hell aren't going to buy pitching, they have to trade for pitching.  Unfortunately, ME has not done well in his two MLB-starter-for-prospect(s) trades (Irvin,Flaherty) so far.

36 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No offense but there is no reason to discuss this with you. You don’t want to dig deep into the stats. You don’t want to have an actual conversation. Your back and forth with the WS guy and him talking about stat line xERA is proving this point.

Lets just say that we can agree to disagree and just save the headache of going back and forth.

Fine …but at some point you actually have to go with the actual performance. Some guys are just never able to do it. In Cease’s case maybe he shot his load. Potential is great when discussing prospects but I have a harder time with a guy who’s basically been a #3 or worse 4 of his 5 seasons.

Just now, Roll Tide said:

Fine …but at some point you actually have to go with the actual performance. Some guys are just never able to do it. In Cease’s case maybe he shot his load. Potential is great when discussing prospects but I have a harder time with a guy who’s basically been a #3 or worse 4 of his 5 seasons.

Well, he actually was worth almost 4 wins in 2023.

2 minutes ago, Ripken said:

The Orioles can't possibly play everyone either.  Ortiz will be 26 this season.  Stowers and Norby are all but forgotten.  There are more prospects coming behind the top guys we all keep talking about.  And Elias has three picks in the Top ~40 this year.  If the O's aren't going to draft pitching, and they sure as hell aren't going to buy pitching, they have to trade for pitching.  Unfortunately, ME has not done well in his two MLB-starter-for-prospect(s) trades (Irvin,Flaherty) so far.

They drafted a bunch of pitchers this past year. But, he does need to clear the extra pieces 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, terpoh said:

With our assets I just cannot comprehend people not wanting Cease in a trade with pieces that are essentially redundant on our current roster. 

It is mind boggling.  But that’s what winning 100 games does to people.  They just assume you can bring back the same team and everything will be great.

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I don’t understand how 2 sites can be that far off on the same stat.i guess it’s open for interpretation. Which leads me back to the actual performance over fantasy comment.

fWAR has Cease worth more wins than Luis Castillo. It's laughable to call it "far superior" to any other WAR.