Kiley McDaniel Top 100

Sydnor

The best runner in the prep class, Bradfield has posted sub-6.3 60-yard dash times, which are 80-grade times, and incorporates that speed in all phases of the game.

Prep Baseball Report

https://www.prepbaseballreport.com › ...

Matthew Etzel

At 6-foot-3, 210 pounds, Etzel is another physical athlete who can fly (6.4 60). The Texas A&M kickback gets good jumps and covers a lot of ground in the ...

247Sports)

Centerfielder Matt Etzel was rated as the most impactful Junior College transfer by D1 baseball. That accolade came on the heals of a fantastic summer ball performance in the MLDB summer league for the Williamsport Crosscutters where Etzel hit .371, with 7 doubles, 4 homers, and 25 stolen bases. The batting average was good enough for fourth and the 25 stolen bases led the Major League Draft League. Etzel struck out 13 times in 119 at bats. He also walked 19 times. Etzel should provide Southern Miss with their most dynamic leadoff hitter in recent memory. Etzel should also solidify the outfield with his speed and range

247Sports

https://247sports.com › Article › etz...

Matt Etzel Brings A Dynamic Skill Set To Souther Miss

Feb 15, 2023 — first got on our radar back during the summer months because of his data: 4.57 seconds in the 40-yard ... 

Prospects Live

127 OF

Matthew Etzel

Southern Miss

Consistently puts together professional at bats. Controls the strike zone. Reflective in his contact rate (88%) and swing decisions. Plus bat to ball skills and works at bats and draws walks. Minimal swing and miss in game and rarely chases. Etzel is a plus runner, (3.91-4.10) and uses his speed to his advantage at the plate. As of now, he is more of a singles hitter who slaps the ball around the field. This is due to his flatter swing path. Keeps the barrel in the zone which leads to his great plate coverage. He has shown home run power in game, which is a credit to his ability to backspin baseballs. He is always a threat to steal and is a tremendous base runner as he routinely is able to score from first base on balls hit into the gaps. Defensively, he has the tools to patrol centerfield at the next level. 3.61 30 yard, and graded out well athletically in regards to strength testing.

image.png

image.png

Kind of under the radar because he just cracked the list spot on the list and McDaniel didn’t do a write up, but I think it’s not super common for him to put a 40 FV on a pure RP prospect like Gillies. For instance, Sharkey is not cracking this list.

Longenhagen at FG takes the same approach with FVs and he has in recent years had guys like Bautista, Baker, Cano all as 35+, which is kind of the default for a solid RP prospect. 

Gillies is really interesting IMO. He was 25 last year but totally dominated A+ and AA in what was basically his first full season. He’s rule 5 eligible after this season so he very well could be added to get a taste of MLB action down the stretch this year. 6’8” with a big fastball and interesting breakers is a lot to work with and even at his age, the projection systems like him a lot for a guy who has only pitched a little bit at AA. 

20 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I mean, I get it, and he does look like a very good little player that might have been slept on a bit, but still, that's too high in the Orioles system. I thought I was being a bit bold putting him in the top 30. 

Of course I don't have access to the "underlying metrics" so perhaps I would have liked him more, but I try to remember that 30 professional scouting staffs felt he was a 10th rounder at best. I guess we can all hope he's a steal and Kiley is right.

I agree with you, it seems very aggressive. It’s the reference to his underlying metrics that is most encouraging to me, I wish he had cited the specific figures. We’re never going to have access to those, so they must have been really good and the type that stabilize very quickly to support this ranking. He wouldn’t rank a guy who he had as #230 predraft this high if he just had some BABIP luck in his ~100 PA debut. 

32 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Of course I don't have access to the "underlying metrics" so perhaps I would have liked him more, but I try to remember that 30 professional scouting staffs felt he was a 10th rounder at best. I guess we can all hope he's a steal and Kiley is right.

Technically, this isn’t necessarily correct.  Different teams have different boards, and for all we know, the O’s might have thought he was a 7th round talent and better than many of the players picked above him, just not better than the first 9 guys we picked.  

Anyway, I got curious who was the best 10th rounder the O’s ever picked.  In the category of drafted but didn’t sign, our best pick was Walt Weiss, who had a nice 16.5 rWAR career.  In the category of drafted and signed, Luis Matos was our best choice, at 4.7 rWAR.  In all, out of 58 picks, 43 actually signed.  Of those, 8 made the majors.   4 of the 15 we didn’t sign made the majors eventually.   So, I’d guesstimate that Etzel has a 20% chance of making the majors, and maybe a 7% chance of carving out a 1+ WAR career.   Only Weiss, Matos, Dave Dellucci and Damon Buford have done that among the O’s 10th rounders.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/?team_ID=BAL&draft_round=10&draft_type=junreg&query_type=franch_round

58 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Kind of under the radar because he just cracked the list spot on the list and McDaniel didn’t do a write up, but I think it’s not super common for him to put a 40 FV on a pure RP prospect like Gillies. For instance, Sharkey is not cracking this list.

Longenhagen at FG takes the same approach with FVs and he has in recent years had guys like Bautista, Baker, Cano all as 35+, which is kind of the default for a solid RP prospect. 

Gillies is really interesting IMO. He was 25 last year but totally dominated A+ and AA in what was basically his first full season. He’s rule 5 eligible after this season so he very well could be added to get a taste of MLB action down the stretch this year. 6’8” with a big fastball and interesting breakers is a lot to work with and even at his age, the projection systems like him a lot for a guy who has only pitched a little bit at AA. 

Yea and you wonder if Gillies and someone like Sharkey are in the back of the minds of Elias and his team. Relievers can move very fast.

I noticed Anthony Villa used "psychopath" in a good way describing Sharkey to the podcast guys.

Big-armed psychopaths, there may not be as much finesse to grow in their game, and if the results this summer are strong enough, 40-man considerations be danged I think Teddy Sharkey's chance to be on a fall roster is competitive with Craig Kimbrel's.

His age and bonus are similar to Orion Kerkering's, who did the trick for Dombrowski's Phillies last year.

1 minute ago, Just Regular said:

I noticed Anthony Villa used "psychopath" in a good way describing Sharkey to the podcast guys.

No he didn’t.  That was the podcast guys telling Villa that someone else had called Sharkey a “psychopath.”   And I believe the original source was some pundit who was on the podcast last fall commenting on the O’s draft class and describing Sharkey’s intensity.  But it didn’t come from Villa.  He chuckled at the remark.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

Technically, this isn’t necessarily correct.  Different teams have different boards, and for all we know, the O’s might have thought he was a 7th round talent and better than many of the players picked above him, just not better than the first 9 guys we picked.  

Anyway, I got curious who was the best 10th rounder the O’s ever picked.  In the category of drafted but didn’t sign, our best pick was Walt Weiss, who had a nice 16.5 rWAR career.  In the category of drafted and signed, Luis Matos was our best choice, at 4.7 rWAR.  In all, out of 58 picks, 43 actually signed.  Of those, 8 made the majors.   4 of the 15 we didn’t sign made the majors eventually.   So, I’d guesstimate that Etzel has a 20% chance of making the majors, and maybe a 7% chance of carving out a 1+ WAR career.   Only Weiss, Matos, Dave Dellucci and Damon Buford have done that among the O’s 10th rounders.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/?team_ID=BAL&draft_round=10&draft_type=junreg&query_type=franch_round

Sometimes you have way too much time on your hands. 

You clearly know what I meant by saying what I said. He lasted until the 10th round. I mean come on, let's try not to play word gymnastics in our discussion here.

10 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea and you wonder if Gillies and someone like Sharkey are in the back of the minds of Elias and his team. Relievers can move very fast.

I was a little surprised Gilles did not get a spring training invite. 

On 1/31/2024 at 1:39 PM, Sydnor said:

1. Jackson Holliday

19. Coby Mayo

27. Samuel Basallo

48. Heston Kjerstad

50. Colton Cowser

91. Joey Ortiz

94. Enrique Bradfield Jr.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/39420988/top-100-mlb-prospects-list-2024-kiley-mcdaniel-jackson-holliday-jackson-chourio

You have to pay $10.99 per month to read the link you posted!