13 minutes ago, Sydnor said:

1. Jackson Holliday

19. Coby Mayo

27. Samuel Bassallo

48. Heston Kjerstad

50. Colton Cowser

91. Joey Ortiz

94. Enrique Bradfield Jr.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/39420988/top-100-mlb-prospects-list-2024-kiley-mcdaniel-jackson-holliday-jackson-chourio

Is the Basallo ranking with the thought he’s not a C?

50 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Is the Basallo ranking with the thought he’s not a C?

This is what he said about Basallo:

Type: Lefty-hitting teenaged catcher with 30+ homer upside and polish in other areas

Basallo was a notable, late-rising prospect in the 2021 international class, getting $1.3 million due to his big left-handed power and the tools to imagine he could become a long-term catcher if he didn't eventually physically outgrow the position. In 2023, he made his full-season debut as an 18-year-old and made it all the way to Double-A, smashing expectations by hitting .313 with 20 homers while his domestic counterparts were facing high school competition.

He has 30-plus homer upside, playable bat control and currently below-average but playable pitch selection, which is impressive given his age vs. competition level. All the components are here for a special hitter, but he's near the bottom of the scale as a runner with varying takes on what kind of catcher he might be -- with first base being the alternative. That said, he has a plus-plus arm, helping him catch 46 of 139 base stealers (33%) in 2023, so in a robo ump future, the bar for defensive ability is pretty low if he can limit the running game.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Sydnor said:

He has 30-plus homer upside, playable bat control and currently below-average but playable pitch selection, which is impressive given his age vs. competition level. All the components are here for a special hitter, but he's near the bottom of the scale as a runner

Thanks Sydnor.  I guess they dinged him for the underlined pieces more than the defense.

It's odd to see that when we've seen plenty of video of him hitting HRs on pitches clearly out of the zone.  Makes me wonder if Kiley's short-changing his bat control.

Glad to see EBJ get some attention though!

14 minutes ago, Low Country Bird said:

He's 27th in all of baseball.  That doesn't sound "that low" to me.

Have you ever noticed how easy it is to get folks from Baltimore feeling disrespected?

They would rank 8 guys higher than they should and they will zero in on the one they feel are being slighted.

It's pretty amazing.

What's also amazing is when someone who says they don't care about prospect rankings and how they don't matter gets upset about a prospect ranking.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Have you ever noticed how easy it is to get folks from Baltimore feeling disrespected?

They would rank 8 guys higher than they should and they will zero in on the one they feel are being slighted.

It's pretty amazing.

What's also amazing is when someone who says they don't care about prospect rankings and how they don't matter gets upset about a prospect ranking.

Since I know you can’t help but be a trolling passive aggressive dbag, I will just say that yes, they don’t mean anything but it doesn’t mean it’s not worth discussing.  I have always said they are good for discussions but they don’t have much value.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Since I know you can’t help but be a trolling passive aggressive dbag, I will just say that yes, they don’t mean anything but it doesn’t mean it’s not worth discussing.  I have always said they are good for discussions but they don’t have much value.

Hey it's been years since you called me that!

Personal attacks still not allowed.

Also, I wouldn't call that much of a discussion.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, btdart20 said:

Thanks Sydnor.  I guess they dinged him for the underlined pieces more than the defense.

It's odd to see that when we've seen plenty of video of him hitting HRs on pitches clearly out of the zone.  Makes me wonder if Kiley's short-changing his bat control.

Glad to see EBJ get some attention though!

I like Kiley a lot. I have met him and he is a nice guy and has his own opinions. My take is that because he was a late riser and not the top guy in his class. Kiley wants to see him improve his pitch selection and/or continue to make solid contact on pitches that he is able to get to outside of the zone. I’d guess he also questions whether he will get away with swinging at those pitches when they are thrown by major leaguers, and might think that without improving his pitch selection, he will have more weak contact and swing and miss at the major league level. 

I haven’t seen Basallo live yet (I hope he reaches Norfolk this year), but I obviously love what I have seen on video and think he should be rated higher given his age and production. That being said, I could see why someone like Kiley might want to see more from Basallo before he ranks him even more aggressively than 27th in all of baseball.

So that’s 8 different players that’s been on at least one top 100 list for the O’s. DL Hall being the 8th. Similar to last year even with the graduations of Gunnar and Westburg. Norby, Povich, and I think Beavers made some top 100 lists last year. 

It’s cool seeing EBJ crack the top 100. We’ve been spoiled by recent draftees ending up on these lists pretty much immediately. It’ll be interesting to see what Elias does with the three first rd picks in this upcoming draft. 

Kiley is the one guy who had Povich in his top 100 last year, at a fairly lofty 54.  So, I guess Povich has tumbled a long way in Kiley’s estimation.  

I have no problem with Basallo at 27.   It’s lower than most other lists I’ve seen, but nothing crazy.  

• Upvote 1