Baseball America's 2024 MLB Mock Draft

22. Orioles — Billy Amick, 3B, Tennessee 

Unlike many players in this range, Amick has been skyrocketing this season. He has looked good as a hitter and a defender at third base and perhaps could be a good fit for a team who has valued exit velocity and done a nice job with hitters in general like the Orioles. Amick is slashing .361/.447/.819 with nine homers, a 16.5% strikeout rate and an 11.8% walk rate. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The BA staff had their first mock draft.  Geoff Pontes picked this HS kid at #22 who is actually #62 on the BA top 100.

22. Orioles — Theodore Gillen, SS, Westlake HS, Austin, Tex.

Writer: Geoff

Rationale: Gillen has size and tools to dream on. He would be a perfect fit for an Orioles farm system that will look for some upside to help backfill their development machine. 

Gillen seems an odd mock at 22. Unless pontes is really high on him compared to other ba staff, that’s aggressive for someone who should be there at 34 and could be there at 63. Also, we have very little track record to suggest we will target high schoolers. Iirc, we’ve taken 4 total in the top 5 rounds in the last 5 years. 

14 hours ago, OsFanInOhio said:

Gillen seems an odd mock at 22. Unless pontes is really high on him compared to other ba staff, that’s aggressive for someone who should be there at 34 and could be there at 63. Also, we have very little track record to suggest we will target high schoolers. Iirc, we’ve taken 4 total in the top 5 rounds in the last 5 years. 

I could see the Os start to go the HS route with so many guys ML ready or close to it.

With this being a down draft, I would like to see them take some big swings early at some high upside guys.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I could see the Os start to go the HS route with so many guys ML ready or close to it.

With this being a down draft, I would like to see them take some big swings early at some high upside guys.

Maybe. I just feel like that has been something people have been saying the last two years that we can take more risk now that we have a top farm system, and it has never played out. We definitely saw some deviation from Elias’ norm last year with more pitchers (even semi early), and a lot of speed rather than as much of a focus on power and ev. However, I’m honestly not sure if we’ve drafted (and signed) even 10 total high schoolers since Elias took over. Which over 5 years feels like a trend that is hard to ignore. I mostly just remember the 4 in the top 5 rounds (3 of which have turned out quite well so far) and showalter in like the 10th or 11th two years ago. 

My guess is it’s still someone like amick or benge another emerging college bat. Ideally we would get some young ss talent, as our over abundance of middle infielders has lessened from trades and graduates at the top of the system, but my understanding is it’s not a strong year for ss. 

11 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

This would challenge a pitching development program that has not, at least yet, produced much of anything. (I will freely admit that I have neglected to consider GRod in this statement). While I agree with you, this leads the franchise in an entirely new direction. Can they hope to be as good developing pitchers as they have been hitters?

Edited by Jim'sKid26