Dillon Tate 2024

Jagwar

15 minutes ago, interloper said:

The team has a very big big bullpen problem. A lot of us have been beating this drum since the offseason and here we are.

This was the first time I had seen Tate this year and he looked awful. 

I haven't heard anything on Perez lately. He could replace Akin and Wells could replace Tate. Healthy Wells/Perez would be solid, although I certainly would not be opposed to adding someone.

23 minutes ago, interloper said:

The team has a very big big bullpen problem. A lot of us have been beating this drum since the offseason and here we are.

Sure, many of the same people thought Kimbrel would be a big part of that problem.

24 hours ago, our bullpen could use a couple of key upgrades.   After a terrible bullpen night now we have a bullpen with “big problems”.    

Let's be honest, there is only so long you can have success with a 91.6 MPH sinker at the major league level. I've been waiting for the other shoe to drop on Tate because the stuff is just not very good.

image.png.4b40a0c0e5a18a8fcb4b637409fce847.png

Sure, he has good movement on the sinker, but he has to have pinpoint control because if not, last night is going to happen. With an option, Tate is the guy that is going to go when the Orioles need to make a move. 

Of course besides activating Bradish or Means, there's not a lot of Norfolk relievers banging down the door. 

We knew going into this season the Orioles were short in the pen, especially at the tail end, but with Tate and Baumann having struggles, they are getting short on guys you can count on in the middle innings. 

At least Baumann will flash you stuff. Tate on the other hand looks like a dime a dozen AAA sinker-sweeper reliever.

The team has a very big bullpen problem. A lot of us have been beating this drum since the offseason and here we are. Elias made almost no moves to supplement the bullpen and it's starting to show cracks now.

I really hope Suarez can be a dude in the pen once Bradish comes back, which is hopefully something that actually happens. Otherwise man... there aren't many options at AAA and it's too early to make trades.

9 minutes ago, interloper said:

The team has a very big bullpen problem. A lot of us have been beating this drum since the offseason and here we are. Elias made almost no moves to supplement the bullpen and it's starting to show cracks now.

I really hope Suarez can be a dude in the pen once Bradish comes back, which is hopefully something that actually happens. Otherwise man... there aren't many options at AAA and it's too early to make trades.

Only thing I see down there is Povich, could come up in BP role I suppose, If he came up as a starter Could Suarez  to the pen, When Wells comes put in the BP and send Tate To AAA, One way or another we need another starter

4 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

Only thing I see down there is Povich, could come up in BP role I suppose, If he came up as a starter Could Suarez  to the pen, When Wells comes put in the BP and send Tate To AAA, One way or another we need another starter

Krook is maybe an option though I don't have a ton of confidence. 

Perez in a couple weeks maybe but he was looking bad before the injury. 

Vespi but I'm not sure he really is any big improvement on Akin. 

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Krook is maybe an option though I don't have a ton of confidence. 

Perez in a couple weeks maybe but he was looking bad before the injury. 

Vespi but I'm not sure he really is any big improvement on Akin. 

Like i said the only thing I see is Povich

• Haha 1

He became the easiest Up/Down guy when Suarez was promoted, and I'll admit as the Melendez HR was flying out I thought his roster spot might get refreshed today.

I don't know how yet, but I don't think they are going to have Grayson miss the Yankees series which he would as the rotation currently rests.    I figure we will hear soon if they accelerate him to tomorrow, but more likely they give him a little extra juice with a Povich game or bullpen game somewhere in the Oakland series.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

How nasty was Tate yesterday?   He threw 8 sweepers and got 7 whiffs on the pitch.  His sinker topped out at 94.8 mph.  It took him only 22 pitches to collect 7 outs.  

One of the best relief performances I’ve seen this year.  He could be a real weapon in our pen if he’s going to bring that stuff and command to the mound more often.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

How nasty was Tate yesterday?   He threw 8 sweepers and got 7 whiffs on the pitch.  His sinker topped out at 94.8 mph.  It took him only 22 pitches to collect 7 outs.  

One of the best relief performances I’ve seen this year.  He could be a real weapon in our pen if he’s going to bring that stuff and command to the mound more often.

He’s like most of our relievers.  Can be really good at times and other times he’s dime a dozen. 

Edited by Sports Guy

35 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Help me with the sweeper? is that a new pitch for him. That might be the best Ive seen Tate ever. Would love more of that going forward. Been really surprised there was not more talk about Tate yesterday

IMO, expectations for relievers here are unrealistically high. In general, relievers are generally flawed in some way. Control, pitch velocity, changing speeds, number of effective pitches, match ups, etc. That's why they are not starters. You go through all ML rosters and their BP's are made up of guys that can look great one day, and suck it up the next. Relief pitching is not an easy job...you come in, often come into tough situations not of there doing and fans expect them to apply a tourniquet. The O's may not have the best BP, but it's not too bad.

• 4 weeks later...

So..is Tate just having a bad night, or is he terrible? I need to know whether to throw rocks or shrug.