2024 Prospect Power Rankings

Tony-OH

14 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Horvath, Wagner, and Fabian, are the biggest disappointments so far for me.  I was really hoping that tier of prospects would have a strong first half showing and make themselves valuable trade chips for this trade deadline.  Oh well, the book is still open on them.  

Fabian has a .791 OPS and has cut his strikeout rate down to 27.8%.   Considering what he did at Bowie in 2023 I’m not sure what you were expecting.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Fabian has a .791 OPS and has cut his strikeout rate down to 27.8%.   Considering what he did at Bowie in 2023 I’m not sure what you were expecting.

There’s something about this post that made me immediately think that Fabian must’ve had a huge hot steak the last two weeks since I did a deep dive the last time @Tony-OH reminded everyone that the new rankings were out. Yup, Fabian did. He’s got like an 1.500+ OPS his last 11 games. 

What do yall think about Cuevas and the Catcher Mejia?  Two Koby Perez gems that are actually prospects?

Edited by sportsfan8703

24 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

There’s something about this post that made me immediately think that Fabian must’ve had a huge hot steak the last two weeks since I did a deep dive the last time @Tony-OH reminded everyone that the new rankings were out. Yup, Fabian did. He’s got like an 1.500+ OPS his last 11 games. 

What do yall think about Cuevas and the Catcher Mejia?  Two Koby Perez gems that are actually prospects?

Tony can answer better.  I only see the stats.  Both look very promising.   Sosa had a big night in Delmarva.   The Latin pipeline is starting to look like a pipeline.   Sosa, Tavera, Arias, and Estrada this year at Delmarva.

Cuevas and Liranzo next year.

This years DSL is the best looking, offensively, of any class so far at this point.

It would be nice if top bonus babies Almeyda, Braylin Tavera, and Emilio Sánchez started looking the part.   It seems our #2 or #3 guys from each class (Arias, Liranzo, Elvin Garcia) are looking like the top prospects from those classes.

Cuevas, however, is a good case of, “don’t judge too quickly.”

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Tony can answer better.  I only see the stats.  Both look very promising.   Sosa had a big night in Delmarva.   The Latin pipeline is starting to look like a pipeline.   Sosa, Tavera, Arias, and Estrada this year at Delmarva.

Cuevas and Liranzo next year.

This years DSL is the best looking, offensively, of any class so far at this point.

It would be nice if top bonus babies Almeyda, Braylin Tavera, and Emilio Sánchez started looking the part.   It seems our #2 or #3 guys from each class (Arias, Liranzo, Elvin Garcia) are looking like the top prospects from those classes.

Cuevas, however, is a good case of, “don’t judge too quickly.”

Thanks. I remember last year someone posted a tweet with someone in the milb world saying that Mejia was a top 10 catching prospect in all of Milb. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=mejia-000adr

Check his stats out. Was that tweet that someone posted just from a rando?  Or someone that knew a little something? Mejia sure looks impressive especially at Catcher for being 17. The next Basallo?  

14 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Thanks. I remember last year someone posted a tweet with someone in the milb world saying that Mejia was a top 10 catching prospect in all of Milb. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=mejia-000adr

Check his stats out. Was that tweet that someone posted just from a rando?  Or someone that knew a little something? Mejia sure looks impressive especially at Catcher for being 17. The next Basallo?  

I know that I brought up Adriander Mejia’s  name after last season because his offensive stats were ok and his CS stats were really good AND he played last year at 16.  He isn’t a big kid so he probably won’t have Basallo’s power but it looks like he has a chance to be a good hitter who can maybe be a plus defensive catcher.

Any FCL or DSL player should come with the disclaimer:

”We won’t really know until Delmarva.”

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I was looking at Cuevas stats today and having some doubts about how much of a nugget he is.  His pull rate is over 60% and oppo rate is less than 10%.  Does that approach work when command and offspeed get better at higher levels? Does the power hold up if he’s not a dead pull hitter in spring training parks?

Filtering Fangraphs MILB leaderboard for MILB seasons since 2015 with at least 80 PAs and and oppo rate of 10% or less, there have only been 18 such seasons including Cuevas this year.

I really like Meija though.

Edited by Warehouse
  • Upvote 2

Elevate and celebrate as an art form, I thought Fangraphs had an interesting piece a week or two ago about bat speed that is completely intuitive once spelled out, but I'd never really thought about it.

The baseball is decelerating as contact nears but the bat is accelerating.     The story did some charts how bat speed at contact inches up gradually the more the batter can catch it out in front, with SLG escalating as you'd expect.

No doubt travel ball coaches and buscones are learning this stuff in the same granular detail as the big leaguers are in recent years, and I believe some 10 year olds are training for it even today.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I know that I brought up Adriander Mejia’s  name after last season because his offensive stats were ok and his CS stats were really good AND he played last year at 16.  He isn’t a big kid so he probably won’t have Basallo’s power but it looks like he has a chance to be a good hitter who can maybe be a plus defensive catcher.

There’s a thread somewhere in the minors section where someone posted a tweet about him being a top 10 catcher. If someone knows where that’s at I’d follow up with the dude that made the tweet and see if he had some sort of insider knowledge to include him in such a list. Whether that be FO knowledge, exit velocity numbers, or some projection model given that he was only 16 last year and put up good numbers. 

I just haven’t been able to find the thread on here. 

5 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Aren’t you a BA subscriber?  I’m not, but I think this recent article mentions Mejia:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/roboscout-top-mlb-prospects-at-every-level-on-june-16-2024/

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Aren’t you a BA subscriber?  I’m not, but I think this recent article mentions Mejia:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/roboscout-top-mlb-prospects-at-every-level-on-june-16-2024/

As a reminder, the RoboScore is the value (0 to 100) assigned per level by RoboScout based on 2024 statistical performance and projecting fantasy value (without considering defensive position or ability). The RoboCast number is the RoboScore but with statcast blended in and then transformed to the 0 to 100 scale.

image.thumb.png.b8735c21fed4d535279cb875aecb6435.png

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

There’s a thread somewhere in the minors section where someone posted a tweet about him being a top 10 catcher. If someone knows where that’s at I’d follow up with the dude that made the tweet and see if he had some sort of insider knowledge to include him in such a list. Whether that be FO knowledge, exit velocity numbers, or some projection model given that he was only 16 last year and put up good numbers. 

I just haven’t been able to find the thread on here. 

I know sometimes you guys forget about my top 75, but here is my writeup from last year on Mejia. He's very young still, but his plate discipline has been off the charts this year. No game power so far, so we have to see how that holds up when the pitchers will be able to challenge him more.

52. Adriander Mejia – C (DSL): The youngest player in the Orioles system this year, the 16-year old catcher made a nice debut on both at the plate and behind the dish. The right-handed hitter held his own against the older competition putting up a .277/.362/.355/.716 slash line in 178 PAs. He squares the ball up well and the belief is when he gets stronger the bat will really play. Some scouts really liked him down there and had him pegged as one of the best prospects on the Orioles DSL team. A hard worker, defensively he threw out 45% of the runners attempting to steal and four passed balls in 30 games.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Thanks, RZNJ.   Seems pretty gimmicky and not worth much credence, but better to be on the list than not, I suppose.  So the first column is RoboScore, second is RoboCast?  

I believe so which seems like his Statcast numbers bring his total score up.

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I feel like Mordan is really underrated and not discussed nearly enough. 

A lot of the prospect guys I follow love his batted ball stats.

Man, you are addicted to Twitter “experts”.  He’s a 5’ll fire plug who has no arm 12 CS of 80 attempted base stealers.  He has no positional value whatsoever.  He’s a bat only “prospect” who is 20 and hitting .226 in low A.   Boy, he needs to hit a ton to be on the prospect radar.  

Ok, he’s been discussed.

Edited by RZNJ
  • Haha 1