Seth Johnson 2024

oriolediehard

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think 2 or 3 more decent showings, even if he's not dominating, and they will think about bumping him up to AAA. Simply because the clock is ticking and they need to find out if he can help at all this year. 

I think you’re wrong.  He’s had one decent showing in 3 appearances.   

Just now, RZNJ said:

I think you’re wrong.  He’s had one decent showing in 3 appearances.   

I could very well be wrong. He's a bit of an interesting case because he's close to being out of options and hanging out on the 40-man. Has barely pitched professionally, but we see similar cases with Rule 5 guys. You can't always develop guys on the ideal time scale. 

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

I could very well be wrong. He's a bit of an interesting case because he's close to being out of options and hanging out on the 40-man. Has barely pitched professionally, but we see similar cases with Rule 5 guys. You can't always develop guys on the ideal time scale. 

We have all this year and next if it’s needed.   No rush.  No hurry. 

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

We have all this year and next if it’s needed.   No rush.  No hurry. 

Yeah you're right. After today's start, I think the move is just let him cook for awhile. I really hoped he would hit the ground running and look like a bullpen option, but he seems to still be finding his footing out there. 

• 2 weeks later...

So far through 5 starts:

15.2 IP
4.60 ERA
1.979 WHIP
17 K / 12 BB

Not quite coming as advertised right now. I still have hope he rounds into form by the middle of the year and gives himself a chance to get a half season in at AAA. But it might be a year where he just cooks at AA. 

18 hours ago, interloper said:

So far through 5 starts:

15.2 IP
4.60 ERA
1.979 WHIP
17 K / 12 BB

Not quite coming as advertised right now. I still have hope he rounds into form by the middle of the year and gives himself a chance to get a half season in at AAA. But it might be a year where he just cooks at AA. 

Converted position player that barely pitched in HS and NCAA. I mean barely. He’s been hurt his whole pro career. 

Does he need innings to develop or should we just put him in his most likely role as a reliever and see what we have?

It’s only May, and there’s no role for him this year at the MLB level, but considering he’s on an innings limit, he’ll be transitioned to a reliever at some point. 

Pitch labs are fun, but he’s on the 40 man. It’s not a big deal right now, but this offseason it could be. 

We'll get to see him tonight.    It looks like his turns are scientifically formulated around 60 pitches in the early going.

Demographic trivia - he was born the same day as DL Hall, which may or may not be fate he is to be a trade piece.

He and McDermott are the watch cases if midsummer Elias starts shortening them up to see how the stuff plays.

Options Roster Resource still gives him 2, so I believe he could still be up/down through 2026.

On 5/11/2024 at 1:44 PM, Just Regular said:

We'll get to see him tonight.    It looks like his turns are scientifically formulated around 60 pitches in the early going.

Demographic trivia - he was born the same day as DL Hall, which may or may not be fate he is to be a trade piece.

He and McDermott are the watch cases if midsummer Elias starts shortening them up to see how the stuff plays.

Options Roster Resource still gives him 2, so I believe he could still be up/down through 2026.

He was optioned last year and this year. I think roster resource counts this year as one of the remaining options until the end of the season. 

11 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

He was optioned last year and this year. I think roster resource counts this year as one of the remaining options until the end of the season. 

Sometimes the teams can ask MLB for a 4th option when a player misses a season due to injury.  You’re right about using 2 already but maybe they got the extra one.  Pretty sure I’ve heard of this happening before.

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Sometimes the teams can ask MLB for a 4th option when a player misses a season due to injury.  You’re right about using 2 already but maybe they got the extra one.  Pretty sure I’ve heard of this happening before.

That would be nice, considering his injury timing and recovery. 

16 hours ago, RZNJ said:

BTW, I heard the announcers say he throws mid 90’s and then say he usually sits 92-93.   I hope they’re wrong or I heard it wrong.

I saw a decent amount of 94-96s in the outing I saw. Still, too many guys seems to barrel up his fastball.

• Thanks 1

Wonder if they should look to move him to the pen?

On one hand, let him throw as much as possible since he missed so much time.

But at his age, it’s going to be a while before he can truly be relied on as a starter and he doesn’t have innings limitations.

You love the arm but it’s very unlikely he makes it as a starter imo.  

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I saw a decent amount of 94-96s in the outing I saw. Still, too many guys seems to barrel up his fastball.

This is what I saw in the outing he had down in Richmond, as I posted above sitting around 95, a lot of loud hit balls off him that day though.  I wonder if moving him to the bullpen would allow him to crank up the velocity a bit and become a little harder to hit.