Albert Suarez 2024

Tony-OH

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think we really know how bad his defense is at 3B, or if it’s really bad at all.  We just have worries based on the stats we can see.   At least a few people who watch him play a lot say he’s not as bad as some people think.  So, we’ll see.

It's rare when anyone mentions Jackson Holiday's defense. He has 13 errors so far this year even with his time out. Thats more errors than Mayo. I've seen Coby make some electric plays at 3b, and most of his errors at 3b are bad throws. I liken Coby Mayo to a Troy Glaus type player. Glaus was a slightly better defender, but Coby could  outperform  offensively. I just hope they dont do something foolish like trade him before he gets his shot in Baltimore.

Just now, Roy Firestone said:

It's rare when anyone mentions Jackson Holiday's defense. He has 13 errors so far this year even with his time out. Thats more errors than Mayo. I've seen Coby make some electric plays at 3b, and most of his errors at 3b are bad throws. I liken Coby Mayo to a Troy Glaus type player. Glaus was a slightly better defender, but Coby could  outperform  offensively. I just hope they dont do something foolish like trade him before he gets his shot in Baltimore.

Trying to point to Mayo's error total again?

Mayo has 14 errors.  Ten at third and four at first.

I'm not big on the new math but I'm pretty confident that 14 is still more than 13.

I would be quite happy to play mayo at first once Mountcastle is traded, because third base is so much more difficult, requires much more range much more accurate, throwing, etc. plus we already have not one but two stellar third basemen.

But no, I don’t want him at third unless he’s as good as the guys we have, and no one claims that he is

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Gunnar said:

Sorry I should have clarified, he's been terrible for a while now, and had a very terrible outing against Miami. He's approaching well done.

He’s been an overall plus SP and RP so far this year. A move to the pen is definitely needed!

The year that Mark Trumbo had 47 home runs, he had -23.4 DWAR on Fangraphs.

His total WAR was only 2.0 which is astonishing for a guy who has 47 home runs.

He might be the most frustrating player I have ever watched.

We don’t want to risk the same thing with anybody else.

Edited by HowAboutThat

1 hour ago, HowAboutThat said:

I would be quite happy to play mayo at first once Mountcastle is traded, because third base is so much more difficult, requires much more range much more accurate, throwing, etc. plus we already have not one but two stellar third basemen.

But no, I don’t want him at third unless he’s as good as the guys we have, and no one claims that he is

Mayo somehow made a 3 base error at 1B earlier this week I guess. Be careful what you wish for, defense at 1B matters too.

Albert Suarez 2024 feels in some ways like Tyler Wells 2023.

Is his tank empty?     Can he revive in a smaller role?

I think today it is fairly solid he isn't the Game 3 candidate even Dean Kremer or Cade Povich are.

Hopefully it was just one bad night - guys will have them.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Jesus Montero?

He put up an 870 OPS in AAA while being 6.9 years younger.

Can't miss guys miss in the majors.  Not saying it is going to happen but "come on" don't act like it isn't a thing.

I never said it doesn't happen. But I'll bet the vast majority of guys who did what Mayo did at his age or younger turn out to be pretty great MLB players.

Jesus Montero is probably Mayo's 10th percentile outcome at worst.

1 hour ago, HowAboutThat said:

The year that Mark Trumbo had 47 home runs, he had -23.4 DWAR on Fangraphs.

His total WAR was only 2.0 which is astonishing for a guy who has 47 home runs.

He might be the most frustrating player I have ever watched.

We don’t want to risk the same thing with anybody else.

I don't think Mayo's biggest detractors think he's Mark Trumbo bad with the glove. He could be -5 or -10 DRS at third base and be a 3-4 win player if the bat turns out as expected.

14 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

I never said it doesn't happen. But I'll bet the vast majority of guys who did what Mayo did at his age or younger turn out to be pretty great MLB players.

Jesus Montero is probably Mayo's 10th percentile outcome at worst.

I don't think Mayo's biggest detractors think he's Mark Trumbo bad with the glove. He could be -5 or -10 DRS at third base and be a 3-4 win player if the bat turns out as expected.

I don't think anyone expects him to be age 30 Trumbo bad.  I also don't think anyone expects him to hit 47 homeruns.

As for what he's done?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I can't translate AAA stats into ML performance right now. 

He's probably an above average hitter and a below average fielder.  How much of each is anyone's guess.

I'm not expecting three to four win seasons on the regular.

Samuel Basallo was born about 15 years after Jesus Montero, which in baseball technology terms covers a good bit of territory.     We can be pretty sure SIGBOT has done what it can to help Basallo in ways it wasn't feasible to develop Montero.

Brian Cashman gave a clue about Montero trading him away....we'll see how Elias behaves this week.

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Trying to point to Mayo's error total again?

Mayo has 14 errors.  Ten at third and four at first.

I'm not big on the new math but I'm pretty confident that 14 is still more than 13.

I knew YOU had math skills. I was referring to Mayo predominantly playing 3b.