The silence is deafening - Baez

wildcard

So what? Even a blind squirrel can find an acorn once in awhile. Baez got lucky and he wasn't exactly facing the Twins entire starting lineup either. Even, so the best word to describe how he pitched would be - fluke.:laughlol:

Did you forget that Baez hasn't pitched for months and was expected to be a bit rusty to Start ST. While I agree that this is just one game, let's wait to see how his next couple of starts go. The games don't even count yet and we have several open slots in the rotation so I see no harm and giving him this shot. Do I expect him to make the rotation, no, but that doesn't me he shouldn't get the opportunity.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did you forget that Baez hasn't pitched for months and was expected to be a bit rusty to Start ST. Why don't you wait to see how his next start goes before declaring this one a fluke. The games don't even count yet and we have several open slots in the rotation so I see no harm and giving him this shot. Do I expect him to make the rotation, no, but that doesn't me he shouldn't get the opportunity.

No, I didn't forget anything but you seem to have forgotten Baez's lousy track record from years ago when he was a starter. Now, by some miracle we are banking on him doing something he has never been sucessful at in the past while coming off of arm surgery? I say the odds of this are less than 100-1. So yeah, his performance was a fluke, and I am entitled to hold that view.

Anyone in their right mind would realize that Baez can't handle a rotation spot.

He hasn't started in SIX years, he is coming off of surgery, why on the world would anyone think he can be a reliable starter?:confused:

I was just using Hernandez as an example, and I was talking about his innings in ST, not during the season. My point was we are wasting ST innings on Baez when they could go to younger, higher upside guys.

With Eaton now in the fold, there is absolutely no reason for Baez to be in the rotation. If we want a veteran innings eater, than having Eaton in the rotation would be a much better option than Baez.

I'm shocked that people believe Baez would be able to make it out of the fourth inning as a starter.

I'm of the opinion that anyone who completely dismisses any pitcher who's been good in the past and isn't currently hurt is way too confident in their ability to predict the future.

The Orioles need a 5th starter for 2009. They've already decided that almost all of the candidates with more upside than a AAA journeyman aren't going to start the year in the majors. That's why they've amassed this collection of Pauleys and Baezes and Hennesseys. And now Adam Eaton.

I'm not sure why anyone in their right mind would think that Adam Eaton is absolutely a better choice than Danys Baez. Eaton's performances in the National League the last two years have been astoundingly crapulent. And he's been healthy. At least Baez has an excuse for his 6.00 ERA. Eaton is just that bad a pitcher. I'd expect him to pitch to a 6.50 or 7.00 in the AL East.

I don't expect much out of Baez, but the bar has been set pretty low. All we need out of him is 80 or 100 innings of a 5.00 or a 5.50. Maybe five innings a start. Using spring training to try and figure out whether he's a better bet to do that than the other random arms in camp seems like a pretty good idea to me. Certainly makes more sense than an absolute declaration that he's crappy on February 15th, followed by a knee-jerk release or DFA.

I'm of the opinion that anyone who completely dismisses any pitcher who's been good in the past and isn't currently hurt is way too confident in their ability to predict the future.

The Orioles need a 5th starter for 2009. They've already decided that almost all of the candidates with more upside than a AAA journeyman aren't going to start the year in the majors. That's why they've amassed this collection of Pauleys and Baezes and Hennesseys. And now Adam Eaton.

I'm not sure why anyone in their right mind would think that Adam Eaton is absolutely a better choice than Danys Baez. Eaton's performances in the National League the last two years have been astoundingly crapulent. And he's been healthy. At least Baez has an excuse for his 6.00 ERA. Eaton is just that bad a pitcher. I'd expect him to pitch to a 6.50 or 7.00 in the AL East.

I don't expect much out of Baez, but the bar has been set pretty low. All we need out of him is 80 or 100 innings of a 5.00 or a 5.50. Maybe five innings a start. Using spring training to try and figure out whether he's a better bet to do that than the other random arms in camp seems like a pretty good idea to me. Certainly makes more sense than an absolute declaration that he's crappy on February 15th, followed by a knee-jerk release or DFA.

I will go on record right now and predict if Baez makes the roster and the rotation as a starter, he will be the first member of the 2009 rotation to lose his job or go on the DL. He will also put up some rather embarassing numbers as far as ERA, hits, and in general horrible, wretched, putrid pitching. Once simply cannot make chicken salad out of chicken manure. That is the Baez situation in a nutshell.

No, I didn't forget anything but you seem to have forgotten Baez's lousy track record from years ago when he was a starter. Now, by some miracle we are banking on him doing something he has never been sucessful at in the past while coming off of arm surgery? I say the odds of this are less than 100-1. So yeah, his performance was a fluke, and I am entitled to hold that view.

What lousy track record? His career ERA as a starter is 4.44. The year he was a starter the league average ERA for starters was 4.57. He was better than average.

I don't know what world you live in, but my definition of "lousy" doesn't overlap my definition of "above average".

I will go on record right now and predict if Baez makes the roster and the rotation as a starter, he will be the first member of the 2009 rotation to lose his job or go on the DL. He will also put up some rather embarassing numbers as far as ERA, hits, and in general horrible, wretched, putrid pitching. Once simply cannot make chicken salad out of chicken manure. That is the Baez situation in a nutshell.

I'd appreciate a bit more information on the thought process and analysis you went through to so completely ascertain that the post-Tommy John surgery version of Baez is absolutely worse than Pauley, Hennessey, Eaton, and the other 5th starter candidates.

It is one start, but..... If Baez can be decent, it opens a lot of possibilities. One possibility is some stability in the backk of the rotation. Another possibility is he could be traded later to shed some of his contract. Another possibility if he is average or above average is he could be traded for something useful (not likely, I know).

It would be a good thing if Baez can be good! What do we lose by having him be good? Who loses out? Hendrickson? Bass? Pauley? Hennessey? None of them really factor in to the long term future anyway.

May the best man win.....

Edit: Pauley has been pretty decent too.

I'd appreciate a bit more information on the thought process and analysis you went through to so completely ascertain that the post-Tommy John surgery version of Baez is absolutely worse than Pauley, Hennessey, Eaton, and the other 5th starter candidates.

Seriously, why do you bother?

I do think Pauley will pitch better than Baez if given a shot. The other two are probably as bad or worse than Baez.

What lousy track record? His career ERA as a starter is 4.44. The year he was a starter the league average ERA for starters was 4.57. He was better than average.

I don't know what world you live in, but my definition of "lousy" doesn't overlap my definition of "above average".

if he was so impressive as a "starter" why was he switched to a reliever?

I will go on record right now and predict if Baez makes the roster and the rotation as a starter, he will be the first member of the 2009 rotation to lose his job or go on the DL.

So now you can predict when and who gets injured? Can you tell us if we are going to lose any other players to injury this season?

So now you can predict when and who gets injured? Can you tell us if we are going to lose any other players to injury this season?

No, I just mentioned lose his job and/or DL because that is often what happens when a veteran pitcher loses it. To save face they go on the DL. When it could be they were just bad.

Holy crap! Old#5Fan and myself actually agree for once. I bet the Devil just turned up his thermostat. ;)

Archived