Rickwood Field Game

brooks1083

Just had to come on here and vent for a moment. As a resident of Alabama, MLB opened a lottery drawing for tickets to the Giants/Cardinals game at Rickwood Field on June 20th. I think the total capacity is about 10k. You can imagine my surprise when I received an email this morning when I check my email and see that I won the lottery and had a code to order up to 2 tickets. I was a little bit surprised to see they were $275-400 but I thought it was a once-in-a-lifetime deal. I went ahead to order 2 tickets. It didn’t matter which section I tried. It would keep telling me that seats matching my request were not available. I tried to just get one ticket, it opened up the number of available sections but it still wouldn’t let me add even one to my cart.

I know they were available because sections slowly disappearing from availability. I’m so aggravated that I went from pumped about being able to get tickets to having website problems and not being able to order.

Oh well, maybe I’ll be able to get tickets next time MLB comes to Alabama in about 40 years. I’m certainly not buying tickets on the second hand market.

• 1 month later...

I see MLB has cleared the calendar in prime time - it is the only 700 game, with BAL-NYY a lead in.

Perhaps either here or at Willie's funeral if that is his family's choice there may be a rare gathering of baseball royalty like with Ted Williams at the Fenway All-Star game.

One of the remembrances of Willie yesterday was Rickwood Field is the only place he played still in use.

45 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

One of the remembrances of Willie yesterday was Rickwood Field is the only place he played still in use.

You mean home field?  He certainly played games at Wrigley and Dodger Stadium.  

12 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Reggie's comments on the pregame show were powerful.

It was appropriate and even nice to see Barry Bonds part of the program as well.

Yea they were.  Crazy that it happened in the 70s. Not that long ago.

One thing I don’t appreciate or know enough about is the history of the game. It’s never been something I was passionate about growing up and I just haven’t learned enough about it through the years.

Stuff like this game make me want to go watch the Ken Burns baseball documentary and just listen about things more.

Baseball history is truly American history.  It’s unlike any other sport when it comes to stuff like that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea they were.  Crazy that it happened in the 70s. Not that long ago.

One thing I don’t appreciate or know enough about is the history of the game. It’s never been something I was passionate about growing up and I just haven’t learned enough about it through the years.

Stuff like this game make me want to go watch the Ken Burns baseball documentary and just listen about things more.

Baseball history is truly American history.  It’s unlike any other sport when it comes to stuff like that.

Late 60's but yea it was 20 years after Jackie.

The legend about Reggie's Birmingham team being the best minors team ever was new to me.    Obviously around then Oakland had guys similar to Grich-Baylor just cooking in Rochester who would become big parts of the A's teams that overtook the Orioles in the early 70's.     It just connected to me same as Lefty Grove's A's overtook the '27 Yankees fast, Reggie's A's also fast overtook one of baseball's all-time great teams.

I looked up the roster - it was Reggie, Rollie and Joe Rudi.     But then also...Tony LaRussa and Dave Duncan.

On the low percent chance Elias wins Burnes on the open market, he has a chance to be like Frank, but one of the ways I'm trying to appreciate Burnes now is like when the Orioles momentarily had Reggie or Kevin Brown.

Pee Wee Reese famously welcomed Jackie, so it was also kind of sad to hear Bill Greason describe not having a friend on the '54 Cardinals.