The 2024 Trade Deadline

10 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Erceg would be a big pickup.  Miller would cost one of the big 3 and be a no go for that reason for me.  Any guesses what Erceg would cost?

I’m not convinced Miller costs one of those 3.

Erceg depends on what they are looking for.  Do they want guys who can help now or do they want players who are maybe a little further away?

Lots of ways you can go but you wouldn’t haven’t to give up any of your top guys.

Maybe not Orioles, but I believe stuff will start happening this weekend.

The GMs are human too and used to the All-Star break.    The draft is a moment of high operational cadence, but everybody could max out on sleep last night.

Hopefully by now Elias has entirely staffed out squeezing each draftee for 25k increments of bonus pool as that sum is only about 10% of Max Scherzer's daily wage and if the Orioles can beat the Rangers enough the next few days, it increases the odds another talent like him needs scientific decision evaluation vs. all the others.

Purely a thought exercise and not really a question for the deadline, but I wonder if someone we might target in the off season is Shane McClanahan.

Probably out for this entire season recovering from TJ, when healthy a legit #1. Add to that a local kid from Baltimore with 3 seasons of club control remaining.

Certainly not suggesting we could get him at a discount but would imagine there would be a decent amount of risk trading for a guy who hasn’t pitched since 2023. 

25 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

Purely a thought exercise and not really a question for the deadline, but I wonder if someone we might target in the off season is Shane McClanahan.

Probably out for this entire season recovering from TJ, when healthy a legit #1. Add to that a local kid from Baltimore with 3 seasons of club control remaining.

Certainly not suggesting we could get him at a discount but would imagine there would be a decent amount of risk trading for a guy who hasn’t pitched since 2023. 

I would say zero chance TB trades him in the offseason. It makes no sense for them to do that.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I would say zero chance TB trades him in the offseason. It makes no sense for them to do that.

I think Eflin is certainly gone and they will continue to have a bounty of starting pitching while needing help offensively. They would certainly be selling low,  it if not him I’d imagine they will need to upgrade offensively.

5 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

I think Eflin is certainly gone and they will continue to have a bounty of starting pitching while needing help offensively. They would certainly be selling low,  it if not him I’d imagine they will need to upgrade offensively.

Efflin won’t be on the team in 2025 but McClanahan is super cheap next year and they have him for 2 more years after that and 2026 probably won’t be expensive either.  Whether or not they look to trade him before 2026 depends on a lot of factors.

Eflin for me is really a yardstick how confident is Elias he is durably better than Tampa.

I don't believe Tampa cares much if Eflin is a 2025 Oriole if they get talent they like, and they have at least McClanahan, Baz, Pepiot, Springs, Bradley and Rasmussen as 6 options for the first 5 games next year.

They'd perhaps rather deplete Baltimore's talent.

Early 2022, Eflin pitched about the same as Kyle Gibson and that winter was a player typically sharp talent evaluator Dave Dombrowski did not succeed at retaining.   Dombrowski and Friedman are both pretty good at getting almost everyone they actually care about having.

Some of the fun of the Dodgers is the caliber of players they've looked at and thrown back to the pool - Seager, Scherzer, Trea, Manny.

22 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

I would really prefer not to trade within our division.  Most would agree, though, on occasion, it happens.

I doubt an in division trade happens unless we aren’t giving up anything we really value.

1 hour ago, casadeozo said:

Piggybacking off this post what about Sandy Alcantara?  Out for the season with Tommy John surgery.  Signed thru 2026 with a $21 mill option for 2027.  Obviously this would be a trade for the offseason.  Prior to his injury, the cost if Marlins were to even consider trading him would be package led by Holliday, now should be a fraction of that.  Could be relatively low cost way to obtain an ace.  

Another budget option: Colin Poche, Rays, '26 FA. Started slow and then missed time in May with a back injury. Lights out in June, good July. K's are down this year, but they have ticked up since he got well. LHP with slight reverse split, but LHB are hitting over .900 this year is a red flag. Coulombe replacement if needed, or Akin upgrade?

If you ask most non Orioles fans around the league they would say the O’s have the best offense in the league. If that’s the case, I like our chances in a 3 game series though I’m also aware the bats have certainly lived and died by the homer far too often. 

my feeling a week and a half out of the trade deadline, we will add a starter and a reliever (Fedde/Bassitt and Scott) but not make the kind of blockbuster trade a lot on here want to see (Crochet, Mason Miller, def not Skubal).

Just my opinion but I think Elias is pretty gun shy with trades in general, and doesn’t want to operate in such a sellers market. I see us making a major addition more likely in the offseason, but certainly this is one of the more interesting deadlines for the O’s I can remember. 

I know the focus seems to be on starting pitching but I really hope they address the BP, especially the closer spot. Kimbrel cannot be trusted, they know this.. right?

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m not convinced Miller costs one of those 3.

Erceg depends on what they are looking for.  Do they want guys who can help now or do they want players who are maybe a little further away?

Lots of ways you can go but you wouldn’t haven’t to give up any of your top guys.

I still like Brebbia from the White Sox.