The 10th Rounder vs The 1st Rounder

RZNJ

12 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

So much for EBJ being the “safe” pick. 

Who said he was a safe pick?   His bat was a question.   They gambled that they could get his offense up.   Time will tell but I don’t call that safe.   The safe part is that he probably has the floor of a defensive replacement, PR.   

16 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The book is far from written on Bradfield. He just may take more time than anyone had hoped when he was drafted. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Who said he was a safe pick?   His bat was a question.   They gambled that they could get his offense up.   Time will tell but I don’t call that safe.   The safe part is that he probably has the floor of a defensive replacement, PR.   

What’s the difference between safe and floor?  Floor was the word we kept hearing with him. Floor with potential. 

Floor = safe to me. If I’m way off base please enlighten me. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

What’s the difference between safe and floor?  Floor was the word we kept hearing with him. Floor with potential. 

I think you're describing 2 different things.

A "safe" pick would be a player that has a high probability of reaching their average outcome.  Of course, in baseball there really are no "safe" picks, just ask Spencer Torkelson or Andrew Vaughn or about 1,000 other players.

Floor is more referring to the minimum that you could expect.  At minimum, Bradfield is a MLB-caliber CF with elite speed.  It remains to be seen if his bat will help raise that floor at all.

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

A safe pick, to me, is someone with a high floor and a low ceiling.  Your use of the word safe implies that we should have taken someone with a higher ceiling and lower floor.  My first question would be who.  My next comment would be that Bradfield’s ceiling is pretty high.

• Upvote 2

Maybe Bradfield will make some adjustments and hopefully hit the weight room in the offseason. Could be wishful thinking on my part, but he clearly needs to do something. Etzel's lapping him at the moment.

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

His floor is a PR, late inning defensive replacement. Essentially a 4th OF type.

His ceiling is Kenny Lofton.

Would you want more out of a late 1st round draft pick? Sure. But he’s a 2023 draft pick, writing any of them off is so ridiculous right now.

24 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

His floor is a PR, late inning defensive replacement. Essentially a 4th OF type.

His ceiling is Kenny Lofton.

Would you want more out of a late 1st round draft pick? Sure. But he’s a 2023 draft pick, writing any of them off is so ridiculous right now.

I wasn’t writing him off. I meant just so much for the safe pick as in everyone expected him to fly through A ball. Including myself. His floor is still there. His ceiling is not Kenny Lofton. It’s too early to guess his ceiling. Maybe Juan Pierre. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I wasn’t writing them off. I meant just so much for the safe pick as in everyone expected him to fly through A ball. Including myself. His floor is still there. His ceiling is not Kenny Lofton. It’s too early to guess his ceiling. Maybe Juan Pierre. 

I don’t think everyone thought he would fly through A ball.  I think one prominent poster suggested he could be the 2025 OD CF which was really unrealistic.   I hoped he would make it to Bowie at some point and look good there which is still possible.   Bradfield had hit questions.  His current stats are somewhat disappointing but it shouldn’t be a big surprise to any.

Some people thought he could turn every ground ball into an infield single and stretch every single into a double.  It ain’t so.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I wasn’t writing him off. I meant just so much for the safe pick as in everyone expected him to fly through A ball. Including myself. His floor is still there. His ceiling is not Kenny Lofton. It’s too early to guess his ceiling. Maybe Juan Pierre. 

Juan Pierre is the mid-case. Lofton is the ceiling to me. Mainly that I don't expect him to hit double-digit dingers. Juan Pierre is barely hitting 2-3/year. 

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I don’t think everyone thought he would fly through A ball.  I think one prominent poster suggested he could be the 2025 OD CF which was really unrealistic.   I hoped he would make it to Bowie at some point and look good there which is still possible.   Bradfield had hit questions.  His current stats are somewhat disappointing but it shouldn’t be a big surprise to any.

Some people thought he could turn every ground ball into an infield single and stretch every single into a double.  It ain’t so.

I’d say on a 10 point scale where 5 is exactly meeting my expectations, Bradfield’s season so far is a 3.5 to a 4.0.   A little disappointing, not irreparable or irreversible.  He could be at 5 or above with just a few good weeks.