Best Oriole closers

now

Fortunately, not all AI's are created equal. Turning to ChatGPT, I got this response which gave a jolt to my fallible human memory (picking Myers 1997, saving 45 of 46).

The title of the best single-season closer in Baltimore Orioles history is often attributed to Zack Britton for his outstanding 2016 season. In that year, Britton had a remarkable ERA of 0.54 over 69 games, with 47 saves in 47 opportunities. His dominance and consistency were unparalleled, earning him multiple accolades and recognition as one of the most effective closers in recent MLB history.

How could I have forgotten Britton's unmatched brilliance? Oh wait... :(

Mid-80's Don Aase rates a shoutout.    Modern tools I can in a few clicks find for 1985-86 fWAR gives him 7th MLB-wide as RP.

It was as the Orioles were halfway from Cal celebrating with Eddie how it is great to be a young and a Baltimore Oriole and 0-21, but as a kid I remember him seeming a notch better than Tippy or Sammy or Stoddard.

I learned today he collected the one win the Angels got in the 1979 ALCS.

Edited by Just Regular

19 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Man, I just really liked Gregg Olson.  Yeah, some others might have racked up more saves than him in a season but give me that curveball every time.

Gregg Olson had a great 5 year run to start his career before his arm blew up. It would have been interesting to see how many save he would have racked up if it wasn't for the arm injury. I think Olson gets over 400 career saves if managed to avoid any major arm damage.

1. Felix Bautista 

2. Zach Britton 

I’ve never  seen complete dominance like I’ve seen with Bautista.  Batters struggle to make contact.  The man looks like WWE star in his prime.  Intimidation factor, plus raw stuff, plus results makes him my #1.  

Britton a close second.  The year he was throwing the 9mph sinker he was flat out incredible.  But if I had to choose a player in their prime to close a game, I go Bautista.