This Just In - Cuts - Pauley clears waivers

o'sman458202233

What a joke...lol

Lou had competition with Freel, not Pie.

Montanez is so far away from a real starter, its not even funny. Pie has more overall ability in his pinky finger than Montanez has in his whole body.

So please, let's not turn this into another one of your bs crusades.

Lou had no shot of taking Freel job unless he became a great fielder at all 3 outfield positions. If we didn't trade for Pie then I think Lou would have made the team.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://masnsports.com/2009/03/penn-taken-deep-again-montanez.html

He got pegged for a couple more before leaving.

I want to see the young guns as much as you SG, but Penn was given EVERY opportunity to make it and he has blown it. It was his job to lose, and he's done just that!

I disagree that he has "blown it." The guy has just lost it from what he once was. I believe he has tried his best and that is all he can do. You cannot "blow" what you don't have to begin with, at least not any more.

Lou had no shot of taking Freel job unless he became a great fielder at all 3 outfield positions. If we didn't trade for Pie then I think Lou would have made the team.

And if we didn't trade for Freel, Montanez would have made the team.

What's your point?

Did I mention this?

Actually you've said a lot lately so I'm trying to filter through them and figure out exactly what you're thinking. Here are some quick hits:

1) Don't care what happens to Simon.

2) I think they will go with 13 pitchers just for the first 2-3 weeks...even though it is a poor decision.

3) Bass as the 5th is fine...Should be Penn but whatever...Penn just needs to make the team.

Ok so Penn "should be" in the rotation

And even if you want him to go to the pen, build up his arm more and then go into the rotation, I can live with that as well.

But any thought of him not making the team is just a stupid thought.

If Penn is in the bullpen he needs to build up his arm. How do you do this when he'll probably pitch 1-2 IP every 10 days?

Who cares???

The point is we have a spot for him now and we should be seeing what he can give us.

Who cares? The bullpen cares!

And yes, I know it won't matter if he [simon] sucks...I would still rather give his [simon] starts to Penn but whatever....I do agree it doesn't matter but people are still putting too much weight in this start.

This was after Simon's start last night. Simon, a pitcher without options, who is also pitching well...you'd rather give Penn his rotation spot...you said this last night again.

The idea that Simon is being considered for a rotation spot is a joke as well.

Ahh well there you go again. IMO, I'd rather have Simon ahead of Eaton right now.

But guys like Baez and especially Eaton haven't exactly jumped up and taken that oppurtunity either...so, give me the younger guy with more upside.

Give you the young guy with more upside?...except Penn hasn't shown that upside in 2+ years.

Cutting Penn would still be stupid.

May be "tough" to keep him but its much tougher to keep Eaton.

And this is where I assumed you'd rather have Penn in the rotation than Eaton. You're too confusing man...

And if we didn't trade for Freel, Montanez would have made the team.

What's your point?

I don't think that is the case either. Trembley would want a guy that could play all 3 OF spots.

Point is AM has a crush on Pie and is giving him the job. If I was Lou then I would be extremely pissed.

Actually you've said a lot lately so I'm trying to filter through them and figure out exactly what you're thinking. Here are some quick hits:

Ok so Penn "should be" in the rotation

If Penn is in the bullpen he needs to build up his arm. How do you do this when he'll probably pitch 1-2 IP every 10 days?

Who cares? The bullpen cares!

This was after Simon's start last night. Simon, a pitcher without options, who is also pitching well...you'd rather give Penn his rotation spot...you said this last night again.

Ahh well there you go again. IMO, I'd rather have Simon ahead of Eaton right now.

Give you the young guy with more upside?...except Penn hasn't shown that upside in 2+ years.

And this is where I assumed you'd rather have Penn in the rotation than Eaton. You're too confusing man...

LOL..Good research...Did I mention Penn in the rotation in this thread? Did I mention in the post you quoted in THIS THREAD? No I didn't...So, I think it is you that needs to read better, not me.

Now, as far as Eaton vs Penn in the rotation...For the record and for this thread, I absolutely give Penn the rotation spot over Eaton. Eaton is terrible.

The idea that he may be able to go 1-2 innings more is a joke...At this point, neither pitcher is likely to go 4 or 5 innings...So yes, I give that spot to Penn over Eaton but as of right now, i feel Penn should be in the pen, not the rotation.

Montanez is so far away from a real starter, its not even funny. Pie has more overall ability in his pinky finger than Montanez has in his whole body.

But can he harness it at the ML level? So far the answer to that question has been no. Luis actually performed better than Pie has in any stint with the Cubs last season and he faced tougher competition in the AL East.

Montanez's weakness was his defense as at the plate he was solid. He basically fixed that weakness this offseason, and now he's blocked by a player that has more weaknesses even though he has more talent.

I don't think that is the case either. Trembley would want a guy that could play all 3 OF spots.

Point is AM has a crush on Pie and is giving him the job. If I was Lou then I would be extremely pissed.

Lou should be happy that he has a job because he is nothing more than a 4th OFer and he is likely the first offensive player brought up...No reason for him to cry.

Pie deserves to be there over him and its not even a real debate to say otherwise.

Pie is basically AJ at the beginning of last season. Would we be keeping Montenez over Jones, based on ST numbers?

That is an awful comparison. We gave up Bedard (was favorite for the Cy Young before his injury) for AJ. We gave up Olson who looked awful for Pie.

Pie is basically AJ at the beginning of last season. Would we be keeping Montenez over Jones, based on ST numbers?

Jones did very well in ST (.320+ BA .500+ SLG) and his competition was Jay Payton. Montanez and Reimold are not Jay Payton...

San Diego would probably take him, but he wouldn't be much of a loss IMO. We've got better arms that will replace him in a year anyway. Ditto for Pauley. Had he been claimed, nobody would miss him.

Now he's going to take away a rotation spot from a deserving Bowie-Norfolk player I'm afraid, most likely Chris Tillman IMO...

Bergesen

Berken

Hernandez

Pauley

Hennessey/Patton

I thought Tillman was one of the top PItchng Prospects. I don't see how Pauley will take a rotatin spot from Tillman.

But can he harness it at the ML level? So far the answer to that question has been no. Luis actually performed better than Pie has in any stint with the Cubs last season and he faced tougher competition in the AL East.

Montanez's weakness was his defense as at the plate he was solid. He basically fixed that weakness this offseason, and now he's blocked by a player that has more weaknesses even though he has more talent.

First of all, the idea that you are bringing up the ML track record of either of these guys is a joke.

You bring no additional facts with it..such as age, oppurtunity, upside, etc...You are just spouting off nonsense with no logic behind it.

Archived