Trade Proposal: Santander for Snell

Snell has had a rough year but is perfect through 6 today, following a good start. When healthy he's someone you want starting a playoff game. He's signed through next year so it's not a super long commitment through his older years, and also not a pure rental. It would require spending some money, and he's fragile. High risk, high reward.

The Giants need an outfield bat. Santander has been great but we have Kjerstad and Stowers to fill in.

What do you think?

At 46-50, it would seem like Stowers would be the better fit for them given that Santander would be a pure rental. 

also, this sort of would be a loss of Santander’s bat this year plus giving up the likely QO comp pick tied to Santander 

10 minutes ago, SilverRocket said:

Snell has had a rough year but is perfect through 6 today, following a good start. When healthy he's someone you want starting a playoff game. He's signed through next year so it's not a super long commitment through his older years, and also not a pure rental. It would require spending some money, and he's fragile. High risk, high reward.

The Giants need an outfield bat. Santander has been great but we have Kjerstad and Stowers to fill in.

What do you think?

I don't Elias is trading away one of the key performers and clubhouse leaders during a pennant race.

Giants are in an interesting place. If they are trying to compete they wouldn't want to trade Snell. If they are trying to rebuild, they wouldn't want Santander. If they are looking to retool, trading Snell might make sense but they would probably want an OF prospect. Maybe Norby?

20 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Giants are in an interesting place. If they are trying to compete they wouldn't want to trade Snell. If they are trying to rebuild, they wouldn't want Santander. If they are looking to retool, trading Snell might make sense but they would probably want an OF prospect. Maybe Norby?

I think of it as a sideways move where they're trying to compete, but they have Cobb and Ray coming back from the IL soon (to join Webb, Hicks and Harrison). This would be trading for positional need and shedding some salary from their end.

Is this a thread because Snell took a perfect game into the 7th inning? He's pitched 28 innings prior to today and had a couple of IL stints and is making a ton of money, he's been awful when he's been on the mound more often than not.

2 minutes ago, SilverRocket said:

I think of it as a sideways move where they're trying to compete, but they have Cobb and Ray coming back from the IL soon (to join Webb, Hicks and Harrison). This would be trading for positional need and shedding some salary from their end.

If they are trying to compete, they wouldn't trade Snell. I don't see what's in it for them if they just go sideways. Usually trades happen when there is a win-win.

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

Is this a thread because Snell took a perfect game into the 7th inning? He's pitched 28 innings prior to today and had a couple of IL stints and is making a ton of money, he's been awful when he's been on the mound more often than not.

An OH member being reactionary?

Unpossible!

1 hour ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

At 46-50, it would seem like Stowers would be the better fit for them given that Santander would be a pure rental. 

also, this sort of would be a loss of Santander’s bat this year plus giving up the likely QO comp pick tied to Santander 

Santander isn’t getting a QO. If he does, he will take it.

1 minute ago, HowAboutThat said:

I doubt it, some team will offer him multiple years. He's underrated on this site, almost criminally.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Malike said:

I've been thinking about it a while talking with a Giants fan, but today was the first time where maybe not everyone here would hate it.

47 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

If he stays at the level he’s at now he absolutely will get a QO. And if he does take it I’m sure the Orioles would be happy to have him back for one year at that number.