Seattle DFAs Mike Baumann

SteveA

14 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I think he would be an improvement over the back end of our bullpen right now,

That can’t be.  We were the idiots that left him go instead of keeping him earlier in the year.  I guess the 5.5 ERA didn’t work for them.  

• Haha 1

The handwringing over losing Baumann was great. My all-time favorite in that genre was when Franchy Cordero hit a HR for the Yankees and Elias was a moron for letting him go. 

I don't want Baumann back. 4.84 career xFIP for a 1 inning guy who doesn't have options or miss enough bats. He belongs on a last place team somewhere.

• Haha 1

A lot of folks were fully prepared to DFA Cionel Perez in order to save Baumann. Never really understood that one.

Some team like the Angels or Marlins should grab Baumann and keep running him out there in hopes that something clicks.

27 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

The handwringing over losing Baumann was great. My all-time favorite in that genre was when Franchy Cordero hit a HR for the Yankees and Elias was a moron for letting him go. 

I don't want Baumann back. 4.84 career xFIP for a 1 inning guy who doesn't have options or miss enough bats. He belongs on a last place team somewhere.

Nestor Cortes is one I regret. Pretty sure I said so at the time.

2 hours ago, Chelsea_Phil said:

Viera was a hot mess in his short time with us. I have no regrets on that one.

Yeah, but we saw that he had a live arm. Just like Ramirez too. At the time, we had too many guys without options in the pen. We needed fresh arms. 

You could still make the argument, that it’s better to have 1-2 optionable arms in the pen over guys like Viera, Ramirez, and Baumann. 

Baumann will collect a mlb paycheck in 2024. Maybe he does a stint in Korea as a SP next season while making more money and figures it out.