Trevor Rogers 2024

Just Regular

27 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The other question I have about the Rogers trade is, did Elias look too much long term with the move?

Dont get me wrong, I was all for him grabbing a starter just like this for the long term. Someone whose value had dropped but had good upside. I would rather have had Detmers but whatever.

But by trading who you did, could you have gotten someone in the pen that is arguably more important right now? Did Elias not look at the here and now enough or was the idea of moving Suarez to the pen enough of a third arm?

As a GM he had to have checked in with every franchise to see who he felt had the best offer.  I thought the trade had some promise based on the good stretch Rogers had prior to the trade.  Sure feels like Rogers has to be sent down and work on some things or get a good long rest.  

40 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

He’s down 3 mph on his FB and sinker (and dropping). His command is off.  He’s not missing bats and is getting hit hard.  We are looking at the shell of Trevor Rogers.  Something is off big time.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see him get shut down soonish to try and get him healthy.  With control & options I see him as a long term project and dept for next year.  He is not going to help us this year.  It will be interesting to see how what he looks like this time next year. 

something is definitely off.

25 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t get this question unless you mean, could he have gotten someone better even if that guy was only a rental?

I am asking what other controlled pitchers could have been had for the Stowers/Norby package. Did any SP's with 2+ years of control get traded for similar packages?

We could have gone after Fedde but he has only one year of control.

39 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I am asking what other controlled pitchers could have been had for the Stowers/Norby package. Did any SP's with 2+ years of control get traded for similar packages?

We could have gone after Fedde but he has only one year of control.

Fedde would be the best question but I doubt the WS wanted the older prospects.

generally speaking, I’m guessing Elias didn’t take a worse deal than he could have.

Edited by Sports Guy

12 hours ago, Brooks The Great said:

That's inaccurate. The O's gave up Rom, Zack Showalter, and Cesar Prieto for Flaherty. 

Zack Showalter has had a nice 2024 and might have wound up as one of the O's best pitching prospects by next season if Elias hadn't dealt him away. So chances are pretty good that the Flaherty trade winds up being an overpay by Elias for a rental.

Thanks for the correction, I missed that. Well, another indication that when making significant trades, Elias doesn’t do well.

I just see nothing at all redeeming about his stuff. So, you kind of can't say "ah, it's just a small sample", because the stuff is poor and the command is poor which indicates the sample of bad results will continue as is. And there's only so much season left. So I expect Elias to make a move after another bad start if we're still losing ground for 1st place. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t get this question unless you mean, could he have gotten someone better even if that guy was only a rental?

There were so few actually good SP rentals moved. Really just Flaherty and Kikuchi, and they were both very expensive.

At the time the Orioles acquired Rogers in deadline day, the only other SP to be traded that day was Flaherty.

The rental RPs were Estévez and Scott, who both went for packages much more valuable than Norby/Stowers. 

9 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

There were so few actually good SP rentals moved. Really just Flaherty and Kikuchi, and they were both very expensive.

At the time the Orioles acquired Rogers in deadline day, the only other SP to be traded that day was Flaherty.

The rental RPs were Estévez and Scott, who both went for packages much more valuable than Norby/Stowers. 

Are the Orioles (including the org overall) better with Rogers and without Norby and Stowers? Feels like no. 

Edited by LookitsPuck

1 hour ago, LookitsPuck said:

Are the Orioles (including the org overall) better with Rogers and without Norby and Stowers? Feels like no. 

I’m not a fan of Rogers, I don’t think he has much value unless the Orioles are able to “fix” him. I think they have ideas for how to do that but I doubt they’re going to be able to do them on the fly this year. Whatever they had in mind for quick fixes, through a few starts they have not worked. There’s potential for a good pitcher in there if they can get him back to what he was before the injuries, so I’ll have some optimism for him next year. But for now he’s looked so bad I’d prefer they stop running him out there and rather they get started on the fixing in earnest.

That said, Norby and Stowers are simply not very valuable. Norby has had terrible contact issues this year at AAA, and even if his defense at 2B were ok, his power is too fringy to be much of an asset. I think he could be a solid righty bench player with 2B/LF flexibility, but that’s not very valuable. And there’s some potential that Stowers could be a good starting OF since he’s a lefty with great power and a better defender, but his contact issues are a huge hurdle. He looks like a AAAA player.

They’ve both only played a handful of games since the trade but both of them have been terrible, for whatever that’s worth. Neither look like they’d be adding anything more to the 2024 Orioles than Rogers has. 

1 hour ago, interloper said:

I just see nothing at all redeeming about his stuff. So, you kind of can't say "ah, it's just a small sample", because the stuff is poor and the command is poor which indicates the sample of bad results will continue as is. And there's only so much season left. So I expect Elias to make a move after another bad start if we're still losing ground for 1st place. 

Why wait another start? Seems like it’s just risking a serious injury. His velo has continued trending so poorly, and with so many injuries in the past, it feels like a huge risk to him next year at this point.

They didn’t option/IL him today so I’m guessing he is getting another start, but I’d rather see him in the pitching lab for a month to see if they can turn him into an arm we actually want for the last couple weeks and potentially the postseason roster. 

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

4.2 IP 3 ER

We need better than that. Hope our pitching lab can turn him around. It didn’t work for Irvin. 

In all fairness to Irvin, His reults here have been a mixed bag, some good some bad. Wish I could say the same for Rogers ( all bad).