Trevor Rogers 2024

Just Regular

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

4.2 IP 3 ER

We need better than that. Hope our pitching lab can turn him around. It didn’t work for Irvin. 

I thought he pitched decent and as a 5th starter that is about what you are looking for keeping you in the game and giving the team a chance to win.  The fastball velocity was up a tick or two at times and in big spots he had it at 93 which is big difference then 90.  I used to say give me 6 innings and 3 runs or less from a back end guy and i will take it but now with pulling starters so much and pitch counts at about 90 it is more like give me 5 innings and 3 runs or less from the number 5 guy.  He was one out away from that and with little better defense from him and Santander he gives up just 2 runs on the homer by Martinez to the opposite field and not an awful pitch. 

Oi.  Not going well for Rogers in AAA debut.  I tuned in with hopes he’d dominate and give me something to hope on. 

Through 3ip….so far 5 R 2 BB 2 K 1 WP 5 H (3 doubles).  66 pitches.  Will be kinda surprised if he comes out for the 4th. 

6 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Oi.  Not going well for Rogers in AAA debut.  I tuned in with hopes he’d dominate and give me something to hope on. 

Through 3ip….so far 5 R 2 BB 2 K 1 WP 5 H (3 doubles).  66 pitches.  Will be kinda surprised if he comes out for the 4th. 

He is probably trying out some new stuff/strategy that they are working on with him for the first time in a real game so I wouldn't read too much into it.

Now if he is still getting lit up a couple of starts from now...

• Upvote 3

Oh geez, I just realized no one posted the Fangraphs piece on the trade.

Revisiting the Trevor Rogers Trade. Oof.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/revisiting-the-trevor-rogers-trade-oof/

I get it, man. I was so in the tank for Rogers in 2021, and because my ability to process the passage of time has gone completely to pieces over… I actually can’t tell you when it happened, for obvious reasons. But 2021 doesn’t seem that long ago, and if Rogers was good then, surely he could rebound now. Moreover — and this is in no way meant as a criticism of Elias and his brain trust specifically, because I think every GM is like this on some level — you don’t get to run baseball ops for a major league team unless you have a lot of self-confidence. Maybe you don’t think you’re literally the smartest person in the room all the time, but you have to believe that you can see things that other people can’t, or that you have the ability to hire people who can tell you things other people can’t see.

18 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

He is probably trying out some new stuff/strategy that they are working on with him for the first time in a real game so I wouldn't read too much into it.

Now if he is still getting lit up a couple of starts from now...

That’s fair and I’ll remain patient for a little while.  With that said, he did not look good…

His final line 4.1 ip 9 R 9 H 1 HR 3 BB 2 K

Just now, HowAboutThat said:

The most important question now is whether Elias will admit he made a cockup and adjust. Rogers is not just a negative in terms of production, he cost two valuable trade pieces.

I question how much value either of them had.  Obviously it was greater than zero but (or the negative value Rogers has accumulated) but I think I'd put quasi in front of valuable.

Vaughn Grissom, involved in the worst trade of the year (Chris Sale) just hit a grand slam off of Rogers who was involved in the worst deadline deal of the year for a 9-0 lead.   Very fitting.   According the Gameday Roger’s wasn’t breaking 90.   His fastball was 88 and his changeup was 86.  I don’t think that’s good.

Just now, RZNJ said:

Vaughn Grissom, involved in the worst trade of the year (Chris Sale) just hit a grand slam off of Rogers who was involved in the worst deadline deal of the year for a 9-0 lead.   Very fitting.   According the Gameday Roger’s wasn’t breaking 90.   His fastball was 88 and his changeup was 86.  I don’t think that’s good.

Just wait till you find out the radar gun was actually switched to the metric setting and that was KPH!

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I question how much value either of them had.  Obviously it was greater than zero but (or the negative value Rogers has accumulated) but I think I'd put quasi in front of valuable.

I also think a small piece of it was getting those guys an opportunity to play MLB.  Not a huge factor but maybe like 10% of the decision making.  

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Would not be surprised to see him shut down soon.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

He was awful. I never noticed it before, but he does not bend much in his delivery, very upright. He looks really stiff. Not much extension.

4 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I also think a small piece of it was getting those guys an opportunity to play MLB.  Not a huge factor but maybe like 10% of the decision making.  

I think one or both had been on the trading block for some time.

Like that stuff on Craig's List that doesn't move and you just refresh the listing every few weeks.

• Haha 1