Trevor Rogers 2024

Just Regular

9 minutes ago, Ripken said:

No, it's not, but I'm not hopeful.  His arm is not special so he better develop some really good command soon.

He made the right strides from Norfolk 2023 to 2024. Walk rate dropped to 3.1. Maintained his strikeout rate and dropped the home run rate. Kid shouldn’t be judged on 8 starts.

Bradish’s first 8 starts: 6.45 ERA, 918 OPS, 10 dingers, walk rate near 4

GRod’s first 8: 6.57 ERA, 923 OPS, 9 dingers, walk rate near 4

22 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Book isn’t closed on Povich. 

I don't think it's closed on Rogers either, but I think Irvin is a better choice in the near term.  Maybe even until the end of the seson.  Rogers doesn't look like a quick-fix project at the moment.

Just now, 24fps said:

I don't think it's closed on Rogers either, but I think Irvin is a better choice in the near term.  Maybe even until the end of the seson.  Rogers doesn't look like a quick-fix project at the moment.

I think it’s closed for this year for Rogers. That velocity is a major concern and nothing has any bite to it. He’s throwing batting practice up there.

Just now, LookitsPuck said:

He made the right strides from Norfolk 2023 to 2024. Walk rate dropped to 3.1. Maintained his strikeout rate and dropped the home run rate. Kid shouldn’t be judged on 8 starts.

Bradish’s first 8 starts: 6.45 ERA, 918 OPS, 10 dingers, walk rate near 4

GRod’s first 8: 6.57 ERA, 923 OPS, 9 dingers, walk rate near 4

Who's judging him on 8 starts?  He has never thrown very hard, generated great movement or otherwise done anything well enough to throw a high percentage of strikes or miss a lot of bats.  I don't see a successful MLB starter in the kid.  He doesn't have an arm nearly as talented as Bradish or Grayson.  Maybe he figures it out - I hope he does - but I don't see that happening. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, LookitsPuck said:

I think it’s closed for this year for Rogers. That velocity is a major concern and nothing has any bite to it. He’s throwing batting practice up there.

Those pitches in the 4th inning after we tied it up to Abrams and the guy after him literally looked like BP. Slow, no movement, and were crushed. Not to mention the second one was on a 0-2 count. I still can’t believe we traded for this guy when Irvin is probably better than him.

8 minutes ago, RavensNOsGuy said:

Those pitches in the 4th inning after we tied it up to Abrams and the guy after him literally looked like BP. Slow, no movement, and were crushed. Not to mention the second one was on a 0-2 count. I still can’t believe we traded for this guy when Irvin is probably better than him.

If I was a betting man, I would try to find a bet about whether Irvin will start another game for the O's this year, because I believe he will.

12 minutes ago, Ripken said:

Who's judging him on 8 starts?  He has never thrown very hard, generated great movement or otherwise done anything well enough to throw a high percentage of strikes or miss a lot of bats.  I don't see a successful MLB starter in the kid.  He doesn't have an arm nearly as talented as Bradish or Grayson.  Maybe he figures it out - I hope he does - but I don't see that happening. 

He had a near 12 strikeout rate in the minors and a 10.5 SO/9 in AAA across 2 seasons. He has strikeout stuff. 

Yeah, he doesn’t have the velocity of a Grayson. But his 4 seamer has very good spin, and his changeup is solid. His main issue is his curveball isn’t consistent enough nor is his cutter. That said his sweeper/slider has potential. And I wonder if they have him throw more of his sinker. 

I think his stuff is plenty good. It’s more about command. He’s so close to getting it at the big league level. He’s not missing by much.

Edited by LookitsPuck

17 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

I think he gets another start, but I wouldn't complain if they shelved Rogers from a starting role right now and have him focus on getting ready for 2025 since he's under control. Any chance Rogers gets non tendered if he shows absolutely nothing the remainder of the season?

I don't think it's likely, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I think he gets another start, but I wouldn't complain if they shelved Rogers from a starting role right now and have him focus on getting ready for 2025 since he's under control. Any chance Rogers gets non tendered if he shows absolutely nothing the remainder of the season?

I don't think it's likely, but I wouldn't rule it out.

To be honest, based on his Marlins numbers, I thought he was non-tender worthy if they kept him. 

I think Elias won’t, though. He gave up too much, and he probably truly believes they can unlock something with him. So they’ll pay the $3m or so he’ll get in arbitration to find out. He’s a fine depth arm, but in no way/shape/form should they pencil him into the rotation next year. Get a couple of arms in FA.

Elias has made some good trades as the O's GM, but picking up Rogers looks like a bust.  There was nothing in his numbers on July 30 that suggested that he could help the team this season, and in this case the numbers didn't lie.   If the plan was to tweak him over the offseason, why make the trade at the deadline?  

I'd rather see Povich than Rogers, but really it's just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.  We go into 40 percent of our games with very little chance to win and it will be that way until GrayRod comes back.  

• Upvote 1