16-20 over last 36 games

Tony-OH

I don't usually buy into too many conspiracy theories,  but something seems like it happened behind the scenes with this team. There's way too much talent there for them to be playing like this over an extended period of time. 

If they go on an 8-2 stretch or something like that,  then I guess I'll look foolish. They are quite capable of that, and it would certainly go a long way to calm down some of the questions regarding this team. 

30 minutes ago, Fuzzball22 said:

Over the last 37 games (16-21 .432) we scored 170 runs, an average of 4.6 per game. We scored 5 or more runs 14 times. The pitchers have given up 213 runs in those 37 games, an average of 5.8 per game. We gave up 5 or more runs in 22 games. That is not a small sample size, that is almost 25% of the season. 

You can say well the Rangers did whatever last year. The Yankees may be worse over this time frame and the Phillies are struggling now. Personally i have no faith that there is going to be a return to winning like we did earlier in the year. I think the starting pitching will improve but our bullpen is in shambles and we basically dont have a reliever who i have any confidence in to close a game. The hitting is not going to improve enough to cover up the bad pitching.

I think we struggle to make the playoffs. We are 3.5 ahead of Minn and are 3-0 against them so far. 3 ahead of KC and finished 4-2 against them. 

The biggest issue is the pitching as you point out.  Losing Bradish, Means, and Coulombe certainly hurt.  But Kremer and Irvin falling off a cliff has created a black hole that has a cascading impact on the bullpen as well.  Hopefully Efflin will help but Rogers doesn’t look like much of an upgrade.  

15 hours ago, SteveA said:

Why is this poor stretch of games more indicative of our talent than the good stretch earlier?

You think that Gunnar has lost the ability to hit HRs forever?   You think that Adley really is a .160 hitter?

Why are we defined by our worst stretch (which is just 5 games under .500 for 37 games)?   Texas had a 36-44 stretch last year, basically a stretch like ours but twice as long.   But it didn't define them as a team.  

We aren't as good as we appeared to be when we played .650 ball for 74 games.   And we aren't as bad as we appear to be when we have played .450 ball for half that length of time.   

I don't know why every is assuming we played great for 74 games, and poorly for 37, and that somehow that proves the 37 game stretch is what we are.   Yet there seem to be an awful lot of people around here assuming it.

I never said this stretch defines them. By all accounts, this is a very talented lineup with a high ceiling. I said that right now, they are barely a .500 team. There are many reasons why this could be the case. Something is off. Whatever it is, the manager and coaches have not been able to fix it.

5 hours ago, RZNJ said:

We have a young team going through a rough stretch.  I know that the outfield is solid and I know Gunnar is top notch and Mountcastle is fine.   Holliday and Mayo weren’t even here for most of the defensive issues.   Holliday should be fine.  The only real question on defense is how Mayo does.  Otherwise, growing pains and a slump.  People don’t notice a misplay here or there when the team wins.

I have no sympathy for Kremer.  When you have the bases loaded and a very weak #8 hitter up, you don’t pitch to him like he’s Aaron Judge.  Twice he had to throw fastballs to get back in the count and Rocchio did nothing with them.   So he decides to throw a cutter 3-2.   That was the first run but it set the tone.

He was a bloop away from 5/2. Two first inning runs are not insurmountable. 

7 hours ago, RZNJ said:

We have a young team going through a rough stretch.  I know that the outfield is solid and I know Gunnar is top notch and Mountcastle is fine.   Holliday and Mayo weren’t even here for most of the defensive issues.   Holliday should be fine.  The only real question on defense is how Mayo does.  Otherwise, growing pains and a slump.  People don’t notice a misplay here or there when the team wins.

I have no sympathy for Kremer.  When you have the bases loaded and a very weak #8 hitter up, you don’t pitch to him like he’s Aaron Judge.  Twice he had to throw fastballs to get back in the count and Rocchio did nothing with them.   So he decides to throw a cutter 3-2.   That was the first run but it set the tone.

I swear... death, taxes, and bizarre Kremer pitch selection.