TT: This is who the Orioles are right now (23-27 in last 50 games)

Tony-OH

Odd that you would say something in one post and then provide evidence showing you were incorrect immediately after.  (Not saying you are incorrect since technically the SS you provided isn't covering the exact same dates you mentioned, but it's odd).

31 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Odd that you would say something in one post and then provide evidence showing you were incorrect immediately after.  (Not saying you are incorrect since technically the SS you provided isn't covering the exact same dates you mentioned, but it's odd).

I mean “around” vs “sub”. It’s early  

The point is the Mountcastle has been struggling has one of our main MOO hitters.

The power is down while the approach hasn’t changed. He’s the last of our homegrown guys that were ruined by the bandbox that used to be LF. Won’t change his approach. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I mean “around” vs “sub”. It’s early  

The point is the Mountcastle has been struggling has one of our main MOO hitters.

The power is down while the approach hasn’t changed. He’s the last of our homegrown guys that were ruined by the bandbox that used to be LF. Won’t change his approach. 

I'm wasn't trying to gotcha it was just odd.

I don't think he's doing nearly poorly enough to warrant being singled out.

He is who he is, a pretty average ML 1B.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

Kjerstad coming back up and O'Hearn taking Mountcastle's ABs vs. righties will make us better. How long is Kjerstad out for still?

Kjerstad is worrisome. He hasn’t even played in a milb game.

We are who we are. No big prospect from the minors are coming to save us. They’re all up here.

This is why the “Year too Early” makes sense. They’re just not producing runs after the advanced scouting got a hold of them. 

We played Houston after the offense put up 17 that last game in NY. Guess what?  A good scouting/analytics team exposed us that series. We haven’t been the same sense. 

Advanced Scouting is undefeated. Cal did not want to have 27 stances. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Kjerstad is worrisome. He hasn’t even played in a milb game.

We are who we are. No big prospect from the minors are coming to save us. They’re all up here.

This is why the “Year too Early” makes sense. They’re just not producing runs after the advanced scouting got a hold of them. 

We played Houston after the offense put up 17 that last game in NY. Guess what?  A good scouting/analytics team exposed us that series. We haven’t been the same sense. 

Advanced Scouting is undefeated. Cal did not want to have 27 stances. 

The dual hitting coach and offensive strategist (essentially 3 hitting coaches) hasn't helped either

Advanced scouting got us and we’re too stubborn to adjust. It’s the “smartest guy in the room” thinking. That’s why all of our prospects struggle when they come up. They think they’re entitled to some robo ump “perfect” strike zone. 

Our guys need to adjust. Even if it’s “sub optimal” because this offense is dead in the water with us refusing to change as a team. 

13 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Advanced scouting got us and we’re too stubborn to adjust. It’s the “smartest guy in the room” thinking. That’s why all of our prospects struggle when they come up. They think they’re entitled to some robo ump “perfect” strike zone. 

Our guys need to adjust. Even if it’s “sub optimal” because this offense is dead in the water with us refusing to change as a team. 

It's the major leagues, they should get a robo ump perfect strike zone.

It's stupid that they aren't rewarded for proper decisions.

But yea, you have to adjust to that stupidity.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, SteveA said:

So you say "No" to can we win with this team.

So that would imply you don't think this team is championship caliber.

Yet Hyde has managed them to the best record in the American League, despite not being championship caliber [in your opinion].

So why even ask if his job is on the line?????

Best records don't win consolation prizes. As I said... last year was an anomaly. Nothing in this team shows me that it can dominate and win.

15 hours ago, survivedc said:

How do you know we can’t win with this team? Also, I really disagree with the more questions than answers bit. We’ve learned that: Gunnar is a legit star, Cowser is a major leaguer, Westburg is a starter with all star upside, we have 2 top level starters for next year and 2 more capable filler guys, the minor leaguers have continued to develop. 
What long term questions have evolved out of this season?

Do you think this team... can win THIS year?

Please tell me how.

I would LOVE to be surprised... but point to one series post ASB that shows we are going to win... THIS year.

15 hours ago, Too Tall said:

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finished that for you.

We shall see. Either two things have happened this season that Hyde will be forgiven for.

1) Injuries have limited our chances to win, and he will be given the benefit of the doubt.

or

2) Last year was an anomaly, which means that the team is NOT really ready to compete and Hyde will be given time to right the ship.

The problem you have is whether or not the execs believe either of these things are true. If they don't... if they believe that this team should be competing for championships... then this year is tough to justify... even with a winning record.

Hyde has done a serviceable job getting us here... but if the brass thinks a new voice is needed in the clubhouse... then it might just be time for a change.

While we've seen the limitations of this team currently, they're going to make the playoffs. Whether they win the division or not will depend on a lot of things, including whether the Yankees figure things out too.

I guess the good news is that the Yankees are as flawed as the Orioles right now and the Orioles should get some reinforcements in the pen with Coulombe and Webb at some point in September. 

Whether this team gets better with runners in scoring position or not remains to be seen, but the Orioles clutchiness was not good once again yesterday, though Akin and Selby were good.

22 hours ago, e16bball said:

I think the bigger problem with the critique you were responding to is that they really did need “quantity.”

I’m generally a huge believer in the notion of “quality over quantity.” But with the way this pitching staff has been decimated with injuries — and guys falling off at the most inopportune time — the answer here unfortunately was not just to go get one or two top guys and really raise the ceiling of the team. They needed multiple starters and multiple relievers to patch the holes that have been ripped in this roster by all the injuries. 

And we know that because of exactly the point you raised: both Eflin and Dominguez have been 100% pure “quality” since they got here, but it hasn’t been enough. Eflin has gone 4-0 with a 2.13 ERA and Dominguez has a 1.74 ERA through 10 appearances — you could have traded for Skubal and Tanner Scott, and you would not have gotten any markedly better performance than that. In fact, both of our guys have been better than those guys since the deadline.

But we’re still only 12-11 since the Hays trade started our deadline dealing, in large part because our pitching staff boasts a collective 4.90 ERA in that time frame, despite the efforts of those two. The guys not named Eflin and Dominguez have combined for a 5.52 ERA. Shooting for “quality over quantity” was never going to fix that.

It sucks that we’re here. It’s devastating that 7 of the top 13ish pitchers in the organization are currently out with injuries, and it hurts even more that two others are basically unusable at the moment due to ineffectiveness (Kimbrel/Irvin). But this is a problem that couldn’t have been solved by just bringing in a Skubal/Crochet or a high-end closer — they needed to seek “quantity.”

Totally reasonable and fair points. Nice post. 

Been an interesting read. In my opinion, the operative word this year for the Orioles is consistency or lack there of. Pitching, hitting, and defense. Injuries have surely affected that. And, they are young - many still adjusting. Sure, really good teams have spells at times but since July began we have been treading water. Frustrating. Get good starting pitching - offense goes to sleep - or bull pen blows it. Get hitting and pitching back fires. But all of this has been covered a hundred times on here. Blame has been put on everyone and anybody. Even calls for firing Hyde or whoever. Don't hold your breath for that to happen anytime soon IMHO!

Yet, with 36 games to go, I still like where we are as opposed to many other teams. Can we win when playoff time comes? Who knows how that will shake out. Still too far out and too many variables. Just get me there and I'll worry then.

I know this, this team will kill you a slow death if you live and die with every game. Rooting for Kremer to have a good one tonight and the Sanks to Suck!

9 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm wasn't trying to gotcha it was just odd.

I don't think he's doing nearly poorly enough to warrant being singled out.

He is who he is, a pretty average ML 1B.

You say average, I say mediocre. Honest question, is a wRC+ of 108 average for a 1B?