8/19 @ NY Mets

eddie83

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

So 71% of the time he makes an out?

At 98 MPH it's probably higher than 71.

Gotta agree with this.  Dude throws nearly 100.  He has to trust he can throw the FB. 

1 minute ago, baltfan said:

Gotta agree with this.  Dude throws nearly 100.  He has to trust he can throw the FB. 

Some guys hit fastballs better than others. Ask Kyle Tucker about Felix.

But not all fastballs are made the same. Certainly not in the same count.

57 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

He’s not wrong. Kid has all the promise in the world. Excellent defender, framer, has a ton of pop, super young.

Hang on, he’s he is wrong. He didn’t say promise he said “you can make a case he is the best in the game.” No you can’t. Could he be? Maybe. But so could Adley and frankly he is a lot closer.

1 hour ago, LookitsPuck said:

Watched where Adley setup. Pretty much exactly where he called it, but that’s where Alvarez loves them. It’s a bad 3-0 pitch. 

This is just wrong, 98 up and in is exactly where he likes it?  I would venture a guess that there’s not to many hitters that can turn on that pitch and hit it out. That was by no means a bad pitch period.

3 hours ago, EddeeEddee said:

Elias upgraded the bullpen at the deadline by acquiring Dominguez alone.  Maybe not "significantly" but he is an upgrade.

Norby might be worth more than a #5 SP who is rental, but obviously he is not worth one under control for multiple years, not even by himself.  Pitching was very expensive this trade deadline, and no one appears to be comfortable with Norby's defense.

I said significantly upgrade because getting only Dominguez was nowhere near enough. Ultimately, he failed to address the team's biggest need to a degree that will help this team advance deep into the playoffs. And the bullpen as is could very well be the difference between winning the AL East and winding up with a Wild Card.

Norby's defense at 2B and the corner outfield spots was passable, both in the majors and in the minors. 

A lot of people seem to think that the Marlins don't think much of Norby simply because he was sent to the minors after the trade, but that's only because they are gaming his service clock. Absolutely no reason for them to start his clock early during a completely lost season for them. Sure enough, Norby made his Marlins debut tonight, precisely because his callup at this point ensures that the Marlins maximize his team control.

I disagree with you, and both of your obervations aren't compelling whatsoever, most likely because they are making excuses for an overall mediocre deadline effort by Elias that didn't help the team as much as it needed to.

22 hours ago, Brooks The Great said:

I disagree with you, and both of your obervations aren't compelling whatsoever, most likely because they are making excuses for an overall mediocre deadline effort by Elias that didn't help the team as much as it needed to.

Well, I'm not saying he couldn't have done better, but I think it's pretty clear he was avoiding rentals -- otherwise we could have been reunited with Flaherty or Tanner Scott.  Either of them I suspect could have cost more than Norby and Stowers.  I don't know that but suspect it considering how good they've been this season.  Elias likely figured top end rentals weren't worth the haul they'd require.  I actually would have preferred he got both of them, but then things are complicated by the fact that both are former Orioles who flamed out as Orioles.

I can't fault Elias for not getting Skubal.  I feel sure the Tigers demanded at least Jackson Holliday for Skubal, likely more than just Holliday.  I bet the story was similar for Mason Miller and other top arms with multi years of control, though maybe Miller could have been had for a bit less.