Roster moves 8-22-24 (3 up, 3 down)

eddie83

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Yeah, I get that reasoning, but seems like he gave them 1.2 innings from the right side and just needs a day or two at most off. I guess Bowman vs Selby is probably not much different and Bowman hasn't pitched since the 18th.

Yeah I don’t think we’ve seen the last of Selby. He pitched well and he has an option next year too. I think he could become a “priority” member of the Norfolk shuttle (like Baker and Vespi this year), but in a long stretch without off days those last pen roster spots are going to keep churning for fresh arms pretty much regardless of performance. 

Irvin gets another chance.. they would have had to DFA him again and I am not sure they would have been able to sneak him through waivers again.

Gotta love that Rogers acquisition.. trade away two mid-high level prospects for a guy who is now in AAA.

So who pitches Sunday? Back to Kremer?

15 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Adding Rivera (which I totally don't get unless Urias is hurt), Vespi, and Bowman (on his what 4th team this year?) doesn't make me feel better about this team. 

Why demote Selby who has actually pitched well?

Bowman had an opt-out of some type based on today's date, apparently.  [from Roch]

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

So rotation is 

Burnes

Kremer

Suarez

Povich 

Irvin

You don't need a 5th starter with the off day Monday.  They could use 4 then have Burnes go on normal rest and repeat the same 4 with Eflin pitching on Saturday the next turn through as that would be 15 days.  

9 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Bowman had an opt-out of some type based on today's date, apparently.  [from Roch]

Makes sense then. He clearly signed with us with some kind of promise to be in the big leagues. He didn't leave St Paul (Min-AAA) to pitch in Norfolk long term.

28 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The amount of roster turnover the Os have had in the last 30 days is insane..especially for a team that had WS aspirations.

I made a correction to your post. 

Injuries have decimated this team. If we make it to the playoffs, it will be impressive.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

I made a correction to your post. 

Injuries have decimated this team. If we make it to the playoffs, it will be impressive.

You're crazy to think this team doesn't still have World Series aspirations. The Phillies, Yankees, and Dodgers have all been roughly as bad as the O's over the past 6-8 weeks. The Dodgers also have an entire rotation on the IL and lost Mookie Betts for around 2 months. The Orioles should also get back some of Coulombe, Webb, Eflin, Grayson, and Westburg in September - hopefully all of them.

You're also crazy to think the Orioles don't have aspirations after watching the Rangers win it all with a very similar team, after also struggling mightily at points during the 2023 season. The Astros look like a WS contender now, but during the first 2 months of the season they were awful, and most people wrote them off. I'm sure you did, too. You'd also be wrong to write off the O's now.

And the Astros, by the way, have also had several reliable SPs hit the IL, Verlander has been hurt, and Kyle Tucker has missed significant time. But the Astros don't have anywhere near the minor league depth to combat hitting injuries that the O's do/have had. We have an elite prospect in Coby Mayo - someone we weren't even willing to give everyday at bats to - waiting in the minors ready to contribute. Mayo can be similar to the Orioles to what Evan Carter was last year for the Rangers. We just need to get rid of Eloy eventually (Elias demoting Rogers gives me hope he'll bail on Eloy soon as well).

And I say it's wrong to write off the O's as someone that thinks Hyde is an awful manager and that Elias (a GM who just gave away two quality prospects for a bum SP that he demoted to the minors 3 weeks later) has done a poor job managing the roster this season. There's still plenty of talent on the Orioles to win it all.

Edited by Brooks The Great
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

You're crazy to think this team doesn't still have World Series aspirations. The Phillies, Yankees, and Dodgers have all been roughly as bad as the O's over the past 6-8 weeks. The Dodgers also have an entire rotation on the IL and lost Mookie Betts for around 2 months. The Orioles should also get back some of Coulombe, Webb, Eflin, Grayson, and Westburg in September - hopefully all of them.

You're also crazy to think the Orioles don't have aspirations after watching the Rangers win it all with a very similar team, after also struggling mightily at points during the 2023 season. The Astros look like a WS contender now, but during the first 2 months of the season they were awful, and most people wrote them off. I'm sure you did, too. You'd also be wrong to write off the O's now. And I say that as someone that thinks Hyde is an awful manager and that Elias (a GM who just gave away two quality prospects for a bum SP that he demoted to the minors 3 weeks later) has done a poor job managing the roster this season. There's still plenty of talent on the Orioles to win it all.

The key difference here is that, IIRC, the Astros got their injuries out of the way early.  

3 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

Is it a shame about Zimmermann? I haven’t been following him but I always liked him.

He probably clears and sticks around. They were trying him as a reliever his last few appearances, maybe a last ditch effort to see if his stuff ticked up. He didn't have much success, though, so they probably felt comfortable DFAing at this point. 

Not that Vespi has had a good run in AAA lately, either, though. 

Edited by interloper
  • Thanks 1