Timing and thoughts on Cowser's hustle play

Filmstudy

2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

If there is a better booth in baseball, even nationally, I would like to know what it is.

Mets booth is great.  Jon Miller doesn't do that much TV anymore but when he does it's obviously great.  Even when he's not there the Giants booth is pretty good

Outside of those I can't really think of anyone else I'd pick over our A booth.

Edited by Hallas

Jon Miller was(is) exceptional. Giants booth is definitely top notch. Os booth is fantastic with any combination of the three. 
As far as the slide goes, I don’t know that Cowser could have made it any other way safely. Between Cowser and Holliday today, I hope that the team has their spark back and will roll from here on out. 

• Upvote 2

@Filmstudy, do you have thoughts on how much time Cowser’s slide cost him?   3.73 is an exceptional time to 1B.  I thick the slide caught Singleton off guard and certainly prevented him from reaching out to tag Cowser while he was running towards the bag.  I’m not so sure Cowser would have been safe without the headfirst slide.  

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

@Filmstudy, do you have thoughts on how much time Cowser’s slide cost him?   3.73 is an exceptional time to 1B.  I thick the slide caught Singleton off guard and certainly prevented him from reaching out to tag Cowser while he was running towards the bag.  I’m not so sure Cowser would have been safe without the headfirst slide.  

I have no problem with the slide itself, just the timing was way off.  I don't have a way to judge the time it cost him, but it's very clear from watching the video.

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Singleton was behind the bag.  Not sure how he tags Cowser before his foot hits the bag if Cowser runs through the bag.    The head first slide did take away any chance of a collision.  

11 minutes ago, Filmstudy said:

I have no problem with the slide itself, just the timing was way off.  I don't have a way to judge the time it cost him, but it's very clear from watching the video.

May have had to do with the solid 260 lb guy heading straight at the same spot. I can give Cowser a pass for perhaps the top hustle play of the season

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, terpoh said:

To my untrained eye I actually feel like the slide is why he was safe and he wouldnt have been safe if he ran through.

I think @Filmstudy’s point is that he went into the slide far away from the bag and his momentum had significantly slowed by the time he reached the bag.  I think he’s probably correct, that was my takeaway from the replay. 

IMO it was a perfect storm. Singleton is a big guy, doesn’t seem to move well. IIRC the pitcher was late getting over.  Cowser was fast enough to make it close, hustles and makes a great play. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I think @Filmstudy’s point is that he went into the slide far away from the bag and his momentum had significantly slowed by the time he reached the bag.  I think he’s probably correct, that was my takeaway from the replay. 

IMO it was a perfect storm. Singleton is a big guy, doesn’t seem to move well. IIRC the pitcher was late getting over.  Cowser was fast enough to make it close, hustles and makes a great play. 

Yea, could definitely be true. Amazing play no matter how you break it down and gave us the opportunity to win the game. 

Palmer played on teams that many feel were the best defensive teams in MLB history. There are those who feel that he would not be in the HoF without the great team defense behind him all those years. Errors are an affront to his sensitivities as a pitcher. When you've had the best, the rest won't do. 

• Upvote 1