8/28 at LA Dodgers

WillyM

Just now, Tony-OH said:

For those saying he's "great" but not lately. No, great don't absolutely suck after the trade deadline. Great doesn't cough up leads his offense gives him. Great doesn't pitch to 8+ ERA over a 6 start stretch.

Burnes was very good earlier in the year, but when the pressure started to rise, he's absolutely wilted. I can't say he doesn't have the heart, because I don't think it's that, It's just some guys don't pitch well under the pressure of having to be "the guy" or when a team is in a pennant race.

No way I'm giving him the money he'll want after this stretch. True Ace's don't do this.

I think one bad month is a bit too much to make such a strong judgment.  Maybe he's not a true "ace" but he's still one of the best in the league, except for this month.  It all depends on how he finishes the season (and whether he might be ailing with some small injury).  Or maybe he's tipping his pitches with guys on base like one of the other posters mentioned.  

7 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Great inning! No runners reached 2nd base. He's tipping his pitches to any runners that make it there 

I agree tipping pitches or just so concerned with base runners stealing and trying to speed up his motion and hurting his command.   His stuff looks lot better in windup compared to in the stretch.  

1 minute ago, EddeeEddee said:

I think one bad month is a bit too much to make such a strong judgment.  Maybe he's not a true "ace" but he's still one of the best in the league, except for this month.  It all depends on how he finishes the season (and whether he might be ailing with some small injury).  Or maybe he's tipping his pitches with guys on base like one of the other posters mentioned.  

Maybe Trevor Bauer isn't the only choke artist pitcher? 

At the end of the day, What we know is that Burnes has been awful for six starts. that's not a bad start or two, that's 6!! Including multiple times where his team fought back for him only for him to choke it right back up. 

This is why you need to be able to develop your own starting pitching. I'd rather find hitters vs send away good players for a year of a starting pitcher who chokes in August during a pennant run.

Lol.. Two strikes, Choke Burnes gives up a single. Wonder how many he's going to give up now that his offense scratch away another run to make it closer.

But I'm sure a guy with a 6.12 ERA in the 5th inning will shut them down! lol