White Sox Series

Uli2001

I've remained fairly calm during our skid of mediocrity...primarily because I need both hands to count all the injuries.  It's explainable.

I will be annoyed if we take 2/3 from this series...not upset, just a little annoyed.  And the only reason I am thinking this way is because we have Povich starting a game.  He probably belongs in their rotation instead of ours, yet here we are.

Anything less than 2/3 and I will hit the ceiling.  Especially if the Yankees expand their lead.

51 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

I wonder if Burnes really cares about this year, his mindset is FA and making as much money as he can.

Then he should absolutely care about this year.  He'd be ignorant not to think that his FA haul might have taken a bit of a hit with his recent performances.  He was looking like a CYA contender for most of the season, now that's definitely going to Skubal.  

6 hours ago, jdwilde1 said:

I pretty much am always happy taking 2 out of 3, regardless of who the O’s are playing.  However, this series against the historically bad White Sox is an exception.  O’s really should take all three games.

Me too.  I'm not going to take the time to research this, but when was the last time a .667 winning percentage didn't make it into the post season?  Right now there isn't a single team in either league close to that standard.  While sweeping the White Sox would be welcome, I'm not going to whine about two out of three.

48 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Burnes has been absolutely putrid the last month. If we're going to lose one of these three it'll be Monday afternoon. He already faced the White Sox earlier in the season (when he was actually good) and they hung a loss on him. 

How is that possible, were 4-0 against the White Sox.

The notion that the White Sox are surely going to beat up on Burnes — or that he’s more likely to get smacked around than Povich — seems more than a little goofy.

The White Sox have now scored more than 4 runs one time in their last 15 games. And even in that one game, they only scored 2 off the starter (managing to ambush a reliever for 4 late runs, with the help of an error). They’re averaging 2.2 runs per game during this span.

So I don’t think it’s particularly “likely” that they smack anyone around. But if they do, wouldn’t you have to bet on it being Povich?

Burnes has had a lot of trouble…but that’s been against BOS, HOU, and LAD, who are 3 of the 10 best offenses in MLB. The White Sox are the worst, by a mile. In fact, they’re the worst offense this century. Doesn’t make much sense to extrapolate Burnes’s outcomes against those quality hitting teams and apply them to the group he’s going to see tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, O's84 said:

Look at you, manipulating those stats to make it look like Burnes didn’t actually get a loss hung on him by the lowly White Sox. 

I mean, sure, we won the game. And he had a quality start. And left in line for the win. But those are just facts, so how much can they possibly mean when stacked up against some guy’s impressions and recollections?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, oriolediehard said:

I wonder if Burnes really cares about this year, his mindset is FA and making as much money as he can.

Well than he is costing himself money. I don't think the going rate is very good for a pitcher getting smacked around by a AA team if he doesn't do well today

7 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Burnes has been absolutely putrid the last month. If we're going to lose one of these three it'll be Monday afternoon. He already faced the White Sox earlier in the season (when he was actually good) and they hung a loss on him. 

6 hours ago, O's84 said:

It’s not possible, or accurate.  But Burnes didn’t have a great game against the White Sox.  He was no decisioned after allowing 3 runs in 6 innings, in a game the O’s eventually won 6-4.  He left with a 4-3 lead but the bullpen allowed the tying run in the 7th before the O’s scored the winning runs in the 8th.   

I’ll be disappointed if Burnes doesn’t top that performance today.  

9 hours ago, O's84 said:

Damn, my bad. Was looking at his splits and mixed up his starts against the Cubs and White Sox. Burnes went 6 innings against the White Sox, giving up 7 hits, 2 walks, and 3 ER, but didn't get the decision. His loss to the Chicago team was against the Cubs. 

4 minutes ago, OrioleintheATL said:

-420 favorites today so.........Vegas feels it's highly highly likely we win.  Have't see too many baseball lines that high in recent years.

Thats incredibly  great value on the white Sox