9/8 Roku Rubber Match vs. Rays

ShoelesJoe

Didn't even realize the game started at 11:45 today. Turned on Roku, and what do I hear? Melanie. She was giving us some detailed analysis of talking to a pitcher about whether he liked starting or relieving better.

She then gave us this nugget, "They're different, as a reliever they have to pitch more often and as a starter it's every 5th day."

Deep analysis!

7 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

You learn a lot of interesting things when you listen to the oppositions radio broadcast, because the guys we have aren’t very good.
They pointed out that Burnes’ lack of interest in the running game changes where the outfielders have to play.

With Burnes, a single is as good as a double, and a man on second forces the outfielders to change position.

I don’t remember whether it forces them to come in or go out, but it handicaps their placement.

Depending on the batter/count/outs/inning they could be moved in for plays at the plate.  At least that was the strategy before analytics.

It affects a CF more as he has to cheat in to back up second.

Edited by SemperFi
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Didn't even realize the game started at 11:45 today. Turned on Roku, and what do I hear? Melanie. She was giving us some detailed analysis of talking to a pitcher about whether he liked starting or relieving better.

She then gave us this nugget, "They're different, as a reliever they have to pitch more often and as a starter it's every 5th day."

Deep analysis!

Tony, turn off the Orioles, and turn on the rays. The voices are kind of boring, but what they’re saying is really outstanding, and they aren’t handicapped by having to be homers, so they analysis is really good.

2 minutes ago, SemperFi said:

Depending on the batter/count/outs/inning they could be moved in for plays at the plate.  At least that was the strategy before analytics.

I think they said that with a guy on second base it’s better to give up a single than a double so they move out, but I’m not sure. The idea is to sacrifice one run and avoid a big inning I think. They went into quite a bit of detail, but I don’t remember enough of it.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Deep analysis!

You may have missed that she didn't know about the "give that fan a contract" statement Rex used to say routinely. The other guy - Brian Anderson - did!

1 minute ago, HowAboutThat said:

Tony, turn off the Orioles, and turn on the rays. The voices are kind of boring, but what they’re saying is really outstanding, and they aren’t handicapped by having to be homers, so they analysis is really good.

I'm watching on Roku. I don't think I can pick the announcers.

1 minute ago, terpoh said:

4th in MLB runs per game 🔥

It’s is skewed and that is what a lot of us have been saying. Every 8 or so games they will score 10-12 runs and then 10 total over the next 5 games. The median is what should be used, not mean at this point in the season. I suspect it’s a good bit lower than their mean.